Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Ireland cannot be part of current global tax reform deal" - Donohoe

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭Cordell

Ireland doesn't have the lowest corporate tax in the world, not even in the EU or OECD. Hungary is at 9% and Bulgaria is at 10%. However, Ireland collects virtually every penny from that 12.5% with an effective rate of 12.4%.

So yeah, this is bullying for political capital, fair play to Donohoe for standing up to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

We should drop it to 10% for the laugh.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

You make it sound like it was all for nothing. You are getting sucked in by the noise here, Ireland's headline rate is lower than other countries, but many of those shouting the loudest about this have more underhanded ways of allowing their businesses and wealthy citizens avoid tax.

If you step back and think about it for a second, the reason they highlight us is because the policies we have adapted have been incredibly successful at helping to attract investment to Ireland. If you think these other countries are doing it for righteous reasons, you are deluded. They see this as a way for them to make our slice of the pie smaller and theirs bigger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Why does everyone keep equating our corporate tax regieme with multinational companies physically based here and fdi ,

Apple Ireland are largely based in cork and employ thousands , Apples corporate tax affairs are handled by a small office in Dublin , if it became more tax efficient for them to be tax resident in Luxembourg or Spain they'd be tax resident there,

And that wouldn't really effect the operation in Case,

Same with most companies that are tax resident and actually conducting business here ,2 seperate arms that are here for completely different reasons

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Here's a good example of a very misleading piece that appeared recently in an attempt to show Ireland in bad light:

Microsoft’s Irish subsidiary posted £220bn profit in single year | Tax havens | The Guardian

The gist of the article is how little this Microsoft subsidiary paid in tax in Ireland. Do you want to guess where this subsidiary was tax resident? It was not Ireland, it was Bermuda. Do you want to guess what nation Bermuda is an overseas territory of?

They are employing lots of people here for a multitude of reasons that include buying goodwill with the state, which comes in handy when things like R&D grants and other tax breaks are negotiated. This is why I'm saying that this is a partnership and we should not upset it just to satisfy other countries.

In the interests of putting the cat among the pigeons, I propose Rockall as an ideal location.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

Ireland should say OK. We'll agree that online businesses should pay tax to the countries the make sales in not the country they are headquartered in. But we want the same to be done for offline businesses. For example Volkswagon made €10bn profit last year from sales worldwide and paid tax on that in Germany because they are headquartered in Germany. Well just like online businesses that profit should be divided up across all the nations they made the sales in that generated those profits and Volkswagon pay tax to each country not just to Germany. Here's the bill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

The deal as is, is very bad news for the likes of Bermuda (and indeed Ireland). The Tax Justice Network (one of the NGOs lobbying for reform over the years) has said as much, and they'd be the first to pick holes in it if the likes of Bermuda or the Caymans were let off the hook.

A lot of the posters here are underestimating the fundamental shift that's taking place on corporation tax. Ireland will have to get very very very creative indeed to maintain the sort of 'tax competitiveness' we currently enjoy.

Grab a sweeping brush because the party is over. Successive governments have played this wrong and we were one of the main lightning rods because of our boisterous defence of some pretty wild west practices. It's a particular head-scratcher that some think we didn't run out of political road with international partners on this. The entire developed and developing world, countries large and small came for our economic model and have called time.

Paschal's rousing defence of the 12.5 is for a domestic audience only.

• Advertisement

You keep saying "successive governments have played this wrong".

This is nonsensical, it's vacuous. This policy has been a resounding success for Ireland. What alternative policy do you believe they should have adapted to help stimulate the investment and tax take that they have done?

It was fun while it lasted wasn't it? We may retain a level of FDI that's currently bedded in, the IDA's job just got a lot more difficult.

That you find it difficult to imagine Ireland could have fostered indigenous industry and not developed an economic monoculture of reliance on FDI (primarily from one source country) isn't really on me. I'm not the first person to note Ireland's unusual and foolhardy reliance on FDI above all things and calls to shift focus. If you're pretending this is the first time you heard about it, I don't believe you.

Again, this is vacuous. "We should have fostered indigenous industry rather than relying on foreign investment". It's a completely nothing statement. What industries do you think we could develop to a level to support a huge chunk of our entire economy?

With respect, I think you're the one being vacuous and display the very same terminal lack of imagination our government. We had one massive failure point in our economic strategy. This is not news and the chickens have roosted.

Countries like Israel have developed world-class and world-beating indigenous information technology industries and an eco system that is going nowhere even with the OECD measures being imposed. Denmark, Sweden, Finland etc are other small countries that do indigenous innovation and IP far in excess of Ireland and far better at that.

I can't remember what Disney song it is, but it goes something like 'there's a world beyond your window'.

It's too early in the day for drinking, but I'll do a shot every time you post the word vacuous.

"The chickens have roosted".

Everyone else is at B, you are already at Z.

You display remarkable revisionism. I'll say it again, in case you missed it, Ireland's policy toward FDI has been an overwhelming success. To suggest that failure was inevitable is, for want of a better word, absolute crap. To suggest the writing is on the wall and we're screwed is very premature.

The suggestion that all we needed to do was be more imaginative, well I don't even know where to start.

Were all countries that employed tax schemes lacking imagination, or was it just Ireland? Again, consider which countries operate the world's biggest tax havens.

Of course. Sure it wasn't long ago they were talking about a global corpo rate in the mid 20s, suddenly it dropped to 15. It's pure theatre.

Sunak asking for an exemption for The City too. That's probably just a lack of imagination on the part of the UK.

• Advertisement

Have you ever heard the phrase fail to prepare, prepare to fail? And you wilfully ignored the point about indigenous innovation and IP, as it's terribly inconvenient to you.

Israel, Finland etc don't go around practicing tax arbitrage like Ireland, because they're actually busy innovating an securing indigenous IP instead of relying on footloose R&D from the US.

U VACUOUS BRO?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I hadn't noticed where the government had set up policies to hinder domestic innovation? Does encouraging FDI somehow damage that ambition?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Irish Government seem to be clinging on desperately here praying it will all go away.

Is the idea to delay/stonewall as long as possible, hoping against hope that the Qanon...err sorry Republican Party will ride to the rescue + bury it over in the US, while proto-dictator Viktor Orbán might be good enough to help do the same in the EU? Makes me a bit queasy and embarrased for the country to be honest.

I really don't get how raising corporate tax help innovation, or anything else for that matter.

Raising the corporate tax will/can/might hurt Ireland but definitely won't help, so how can you argue for it?

Who would be a politician? On one side you have people crying for housing, the continuation of PUP and other services, on the other side you have citizens arguing that we should not embarrass ourselves with our low corporate tax rates. Where exactly does the money come from?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭jackboy

Even in the crazy debt world we live in now, you still need revenue to pay the interest and to keep the bonds you issue from having garbage status.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭jackboy

The revenue we are getting from corporate tax is temporary and will plummet some day. Then the loans will not come so easy.

Bill Clinton and Obama Senior Economic advisor Bob Shapiro actually warned Ireland (in a nice way) that it needs to wean itself off FDI as the primary means of economic growth. He pointed out countries like China where FDI is merely a transitional strategy whereas Ireland FDI is viewed as a milk and honey tap in and of itself with very little behind it. We're actually failing on that front. Our level of indigenous patents and IP assets locally produced is feeble and we haven't successfully had any significant spill-over effect in technology (unlike Israel or indeed China for that matter).

But what the heck does he know anyway? He's only a vacuous Bolshevik commie leftist that wants to see us sowing spuds in sackcloths anyway.

Everybody now: "12.5! 12.5! 12.5!"

Weaning off is fine, poisoning the milk is not, and you keep advocating for the latter as if somehow our low-ish corporate tax hinders our development of indigenous IP and business.

Because a percentage or two on top of the 12.5 to somewhat protect or position among peer countries who now lobby hard against us is poisoning the milk is it? Poisoning the milk...that's hyperbolic and rather silly if I don't say so myself.

There is no weaning and there is no plan B. That's a strategic failure any way you cut it. There has been no political impetus to develop a plan B as our policy makers can't conceptualize anything other than 12.5. And the sheep repeat it. When we talk about economic strategy or forward planning in this country, it all comes back to the magic 12.5. The IDA, the Finance department, the department of Business.

Is keeping the tax rate somehow preventing Ireland from developing a plan B or whatever you think it needs to do? Your only argument is that we need to increase it because other countries are cross with us or something, all that while they keep their real tax havens. That is what's silly.

I do think calling it "other countries being cross with us" may minimise situation somewhat (as I see it). 

Ireland is going out on a limb now as it continues to oppose this. You don't see the govt. doing that often (internationally).

Afair, in years past the main Irish govt. argument opposing corporate tax harmonisation at EU level (apart from our self interest) was that the EU must never do this unilaterally, we must always work through the OECD and with other wealthy countries etc. We must have the US on board with this (alot of the tax minimisation involves their MNCs). We had several key EU members agreeing with this position incl. the UK while they were an EU member. 

Now the OECD process has come to some sort of conclusion I think (in principle), and the US govt. is behind it too under current president.

The only ones left opposing this (inside the EU) are Estonia (can't see that lasting?) and Hungary.

So really all govt. have left is Irish self interest & greed (I think it's being phrased as "small states having a right to tax competition" now - I suppose it must be small because Ireland definitely isn't poor or underdeveloped any more!). With level of international support behind it now, if this falls apart it won't be because Ireland or Hungary opposed it. It will be due to more powerful countries undermining it or other political factors like Congress in the US intervening etc.

Only other reason I can think of for Ireland persisting with this to the end is belief that we owe all the MNCs so much & we must fight very hard for them on this to keep in their good standing. Maybe govt. believes it must pull out all the stops to obstruct or at least delay what (IMO) may be inevitable now in one form or another. Doing any less isn't giving our benefactors fair value.

"So really all govt. have left is Irish self interest"

That's precisely all that matters, isn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,566 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Not when it turns around and bites you in the arse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Some seem to forget Ireland is a country of under 5 million people. Sure, you may get the odd large company now and again making it here but a drop in the ocean compared to FDI.

Lose the FDI we go back to poverty. It's that simple for the government. Morals are useless when you have no money.

And as has been pointed out there is nothing stopping indigineous Irish companies succeeding anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭greenfield21

I haven't done much reading on this lately but How does pharma fair here and transfer pricing? Or is it just tech impacted by the minimum. Also how does it play out in Congress, are we just hoping for republicans to vote it down now?

Interesting also whenever this topic was brought up previously and any negatives about Ireland we were all slated as been completely clueless and unless you were a tax expert you shouldn't discuss it as Ireland is not a tax haven. Now from the guardian to the NY times Ireland is called out as a tax haven on a weekly basis. Very interesting how this plays out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

It seems our unique selling point is the fact that we are a tax-friendly country pulse we are an English-speaking stable safe democracy when there are going to be no sudden surprises. We must be unique.

Post edited by mariaalice on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,009 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Do you mean the same Israel that gets $8 Billion a year in loan guarantees and close to $4 Billion a year in military aid? That Israel?

LOL. Yea, Israel is really doing it all themselves alright, with no help from any 'foreigners'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

We don't have enough venture capital in this country willing to invest in small businesses, such as tech, and our banks make it difficult to even access money through loans. As a nation, we tend to throw our spare money into property, are advised to buy property, have a psychosis that you can "only make money through property." and up until recently had some of the craziest bankruptcy laws in the world.

What has Israel's security arrangements got to do with price of turnips Mark? Nothing.

You were lauding Israel divesting itself from foreign capital and investment, but forgot to mention the billions they get in grants, loan guarantees, and aid every year. Just admit you were wrong and move on.

I was lauding Israel's well-known and much-studied native tech startup and indigenous R&D ecosystem which was and is the result of their government's long term economic strategy. Why don't you pour yourself a cup of 'I'm a silly sausage' take a good drink of it, and move on.

Where are you pulling 'divesting from foreign capital and investment' out of? Your rear end that's where.

Tech startups and R&D funded by the American Taxpayer.... lol

• Advertisement

I can tell you don't have a bean about Israel's R&D and IP system. It's venture capital-driven and Israel has a pool of indigenous technology companies and an R&D and VC infrastructure that puts Ireland in the ha'penny place. People want to make-believe Ireland is some tech miracle hub because we have significant operations of Google and Facebook and an army of grads taking down dirty photos from TikTok. It's a joke, Israel scorches Ireland on every metric for native innovation.

You're not interested in details or the facts, just posting 'lols' and pretending you know something you don't.

Facts eh?

Israel ranked 13th in the world with a score of 53.55 on the Global Innovation index

Ireland ranked 15th in the world with a score of 53.05 on the Global Innovation index

That sure is Israel 'scorching' Ireland for 'every' metric.

The study is found here.

https://www.wipo.int/edocs/pubdocs/en/wipo_pub_gii_2020.pdf

As an aside, I have to love posters always bagging Ireland at every opportunity, regardless of the pesky facts!

R&D and patent activity is MNC dominated - per article two-thirds is foreign companies. This will vanish on the wind, and this activity only takes place here in large part because of tax arrangements. Activity is directed from abroad and assigned to in-house MNC innovation centres(and in a lot of cases conducted by scientists and researchers seconded to Ireland for that purpose) because it's tax-efficient to do so. Our R&D ranking is at the mercy of executives outside Ireland and essentially doesn't belong to us.

"The report added that most of the expenditure undertaken by Irish-owned firms is done by companies that are not significant exporters." - that tells its own story; Irish firms r&d is not high value.

Irish expenditure on R&D is below both EU and OECD average. The positive spillover into local research is a notable feature of Israel's economy. It's notable by its' absence in Ireland.

Israel trounces Ireland on indigenous innovation. We have nothing approaching the likes of Technion (Israel's powerhouse research university) Again, stop pretending you know something you don't.

F-f-f-facts

Post edited by Yurt2 on

Ah move the goalposts... sure there are no MNC's in Israel, is there.. lol

"There are over 380 R&D centers in Israel owned by multinational companies"

Yes, those pesky facts...

I expect another goalpost shifting any moment.

Also Israel has all sorts of tax arrangements for these Special Priority Corporations as they call them, giving them effective rates as low as 5%. You know, as if they are trying to attract them there with a low corporation tax and friendly business environment, just like Ireland does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭dudley72

Well done Paschal and the government. The majority in Ireland are 100% behind you.

Of course you will have the few who think it is wrong, good old Irish bitterness.

Israel signed up to it. Ireland did not.

IMO there's nothing to be gained by opposing this any more and I don't think it is worth the diplomatic/reputational damage to the country. I don't think the MNCs are going to give one single extra investment because govt. here bent over an extra few inches for them with a pretense Ireland can stop the clamp down on their tax avoidance/profit shifting etc. from happening.

As I said, it will happen now with or without Ireland or Hungary etc. (very probably Ireland will sign on later if something concrete comes of it anyway)

If we persist with it, I am sure other member states in the EU and the current US govt. will note well how we fought it to the death longer than the benevolent MNCs will keep us in their FDI thoughts. 

Alot of the MNCs struggle to remember beyond a few quaterly investment cycles or the last CEOs golden parachute payout or big product roll out, but countries, politicians, diplomats, civil servants etc will have longer memories.

Yes let's damage our business environment because what will neighbours say otherwise. Ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,024 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Listened to Chirpy Pascal on the Claire Byrne show earlier. He has an extraordinary ability to answer questions with a question or deflection . He's obviously accepted he has Zero option but to accept a 15% corporate tax rate, has even admitted he's already factored in a potential loss of €2 billion tax revenues in forecasts and statements and yet can not actually admit the Obvious which in essence is, he'll tow the line. Infuriating to listen too.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

I'm not sure why you think it's infuriating, it's totally normal practice.

Ireland is not going to get everything it wants out of this, and it may have to accept a 15% rate. But by continuing to make it's case we can push for concessions in other areas.

Ireland's foreign affairs / diplomacy and reputation and actions at EU/intl level for the past 5/6 years have been excellent, it is one area that the governments of the time cannot be easily criticised on and I think this is throwing some people off, particularly those who are used to just disagreeing with whatever the government does.

• Advertisement
Advertisement