Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forgotten Irish 'Fashion' trends from when you were a teen

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Clogs, with clompy wooden soles.

If you were super bored, you could drape your flares over them so it looked like your legs were long skinny triangles.
    Your mates could also hear you coming two roads away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

McKenzie tracksuits.
    My Yankee tracksuits
    Cardigans and chinos with a Rihana t shirt

It's crazy how fashion evolves and goes in cycles. I notice.plain t shirts are no.longer cool
    Back around 2013 to 2016, a plain classic t shirt, v necks especially was just the epitome of cool in a throwback to the James Dean rebel without a cause days.Now. it seems.like the plain t shirts has become just that - A plain t shirt.

Skinny and tight jeans are hanging on, in Ireland anyway. Starting to look a bit dated especially the type of ball strangler topman skinny that guy's with muffin tops were wearing about 5 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Any ladies remember the stretchy fabric shirts that buttons started low down enough and half sleeves usually worn with a spaghetti strap top underneath?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

I remember all the lads cutting their jeans at the bottom for that extra flare.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭Tork

Back in the early 90s, cardigans and woolly jackets had really big, loud zigzag patterns on them. If you look at The Snapper you'll see loads of them on the auld wans

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,359 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

I find some of the comments a bit funny as people didn't seem to understand how they came about. The plastic soothers were from the rave scene, people grind their teeth on certain substances so they wore the soothers as they used them to stop grinding. Yes young teens wore them thinking it was just fashion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Denim jackets, worn with jeans. Too much denim.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Dingo jeans and kangaroo trainers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

Those crappy flecked suits. They were usually silver/grey with darker flecks all over them. Usually sold in budget retail shops on Henry/Liffey street for about £20 and worn by scrotes. I blame the popularity of Miami Vice for this fashion abomination. Completing this obscene ensemble were grey Simon Hart pinhole slip-ons with tassels on the side, white socks and thin leather tie. Topping it all off was the essential frosted step haircut (the bird-shit hairstyle).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

from the 70s, men wearing platform shoes .not a good look ,unless your name is david bowie.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I remember when I was in my late teens in the early 2000s a load of fellas would wear those really baggy Road jeans and cords and Etnies skate shoes. The ends of jeans would be all frayed because they were too long. Lots would have their wallet on a long chain going to their pockets too. Haven't seen Road jeans in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭shockframe

Watching GAA games from the 90s on Youtube was fairly interesting!

Reebok sweatshirts as I mentioned before was a big thing. What was surprising was how widely worn Umbro t-shirts and sweatshirts were from 95-97. And the logo right in the middle. The style all but vanished by 2000.

You start to get a lot more wearing Nike track tops but that's lasted right up to the present day.

Trendy footwear was absent however. The era of the Dad Shoe! The Nike/Adidas/New Balance hipsters were a long way off.

Post edited by shockframe on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Two jeans related fashion memories from the 70's.

1) Jeans with tartan trim at the end and down the sides (Les McKeown RIP)

2) Stone Washed jeans ..... white fade streaks and light wear patterns... not as much as the torn and holed style of today today, more subtle.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Madeoface

Shaved head. Ben Sherman shirt. Braces. Docs (from behind the ilac). Bleached jeans. Or the alternate Army surplus shirt n jacket, combats, docs and mullets... sometimes braided.. Even Power of Dreams modelled the look though they were barely alternative music.

Any punk/ska gig in the capel st area in the late 80's or early 90's. That was the look of alternative music for me ( if you weren't a Goth). Dublin was hopping then...£2 gigs...5 **** bands, all happy to get a gig.

Then New Model Army invented crusty and it all got hairier...

Then rave came in on top of all that and it got smellier and crustier.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

when I started secondary school back in 1990 , about half the guys in the school wore those " army jackets " with the german flag on the arm

awful looking yokes but they were bloody warm

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The Osiris D3 was the other option of skate shoe for that look, the ugliest shoes ever made and they're now back again somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

Those Parkas were the job. Removable lining depending on the weather but if it got soaked with the heavy lining in you'd be fecked.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,829 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

All the ‘trashers’ or ‘threshers’ in school used to have those, with doc martins.... on a Saturday you’d see the likes of Army Bargains full of the little chaps picking up their weight in green army surplus coats, shirts and wooly jumpers.... the most fûcking uncomfortably and ungainly fashion statements... as for their hair... ughhhh

Remember around ‘94/‘95 Reebok Pumps were huge, expensive but comfy...i had a pair, was gutted when one of the pumps broke.

One strap on the school bag was cool

Also the step and its cooler brother the undercut haircut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,433 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Cutting slits in your jeans to fit over your runners.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,794 ✭✭✭appledrop

Ha ha I forgot about the one strap school bag! We all walked to my school and back for lunch, 20 mins each way, we had no lockers and your back would be broken but no way would you wear the bag with two straps!!!!

Walking back after lunch was a dream only books for 3 classes.

Kids spoiled nowadays with their lockers and lifts to school.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

During the one-strap thing, in ~01 I had a diagonal strap schoolbag, with a mobile phone holster on the strap that could barely take a 3210 let alone most of the bricks the few who had phones actually had. My weird Panasonic was thin enough but too tall.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

I remember the bomber jackets

the army surplus parkas

the white socks slip on shoes

paisley shirts

• Registered Users Posts: 17,433 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

NAFF Co. 54.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,794 ✭✭✭appledrop

White socks with slip on shoes are back in fashion for school especially among the lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

On the subject of schoolbags these were all the rage in my time. Army surplus. Blue green yellow or black.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Strange looking back on it now, bag full of books and one strap.

Even had lockers but rarely used them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭beveragelady

Walking into college in the rain in massive flares. After a few minutes the hem your jeans would have soaked up so much water that the bottom 12 inches of your jeans would be saturated. If you were forced to break into a run for some reason you ran the risk of one of your giant wet flares wrapping itself around the other ankle where it could stick, bringing you down like you'd been lassoed.

Advertisement