Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Lamb Prices- esp Store Lambs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

The only thing I can think is that a lot of people that normally buy store cattle must be buying store sheep instead, therefore pushing prices up. I'd prefer to have an empty field then loose money at those prices.

I think you're right.
    I saw the Saturday crew there for dry cows & start of sheep.

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    So I sell my fit lambs at €95 and then buy stores at €90? Thing to do is sell everything and sit tight..........

How you finding Cootehill?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,183 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Farrell wrote: »
    How you finding Cootehill?

No better than Carrigallen, just this last few weeks I couldn't get out on Monday night.
    Their scales seem to agree with my own weighting crate better also, I find when you weight in my own yard and scales say lambs 43 kg (or whatever), and then get to C-gallen. mart and the average weight is 40, not so nice.

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    No better than Carrigallen, just this last few weeks I couldn't get out on Monday night.
    Their scales seem to agree with my own weighting crate better also, I find when you weight in my own yard and scales say lambs 43 kg (or whatever), and then get to C-gallen. mart and the average weight is 40, not so nice.
    Good difference alright.
    Joys to CG is it's on in the evening, especially when you work days.
    Often hear some rave about Carnaross

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Any know If the mart trade is any good on bank holidays ? the cattle marts do be very busy but last time I went to a sheep mart on a bank holiday was the place was very quiet. Was thinking about fermoy on Monday ? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

Was at the first store sale here last night and good texel ewe lambs making £71 down to £62. Mixed lambs making low to mid sixties, but noticed small runts of lambs and lambs with dirty arses making mid fifties and they wouldn't be fleshed by xmas time, just don't understand some buyers at all.
    Neighbour had three pens of milford X mule ewe lambs making top of £91.

first hoggett sale on saturday was for continental X ewes and there were two pens of suffolk x cheviots making £300, with £150 - £170 for a good pen that you'd be happy to take home.

Mule and greyface hoggett sale this saturday so we'll see what demands like then from the previous 'non active' farmers..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Cran

Was at the first store sale here last night and good texel ewe lambs making £71 down to £62. Mixed lambs making low to mid sixties, but noticed small runts of lambs and lambs with dirty arses making mid fifties and they wouldn't be fleshed by xmas time, just don't understand some buyers at all.
    Neighbour had three pens of milford X mule ewe lambs making top of £91.

first hoggett sale on saturday was for continental X ewes and there were two pens of suffolk x cheviots making £300, with £150 - £170 for a good pen that you'd be happy to take home.

Mule and greyface hoggett sale this saturday so we'll see what demands like then from the previous 'non active' farmers..

Sorry been wondering this for ages, what's a Milford sheep?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

Milford sheep come originally from area around Milford in Donegal,have good big frame and nice sharp head with speckled face,dark black speckle,some people go mad for them but they are a soft sheep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

Cran wrote: »
    Sorry been wondering this for ages, what's a Milford sheep?

As WP says they originated from milford area in Donegal and would be a bit like the BFL in frame and carcase. when crossed with the mule they produce a really dark coloured mule lamb, tight skinned and sharp head.

Without wanting to derail the thread i saw an interesting article in the Farmers Weekly last week about the rift in the BFL society about the pureness of the BFL now under threat from the Cross type rams that are now being bred and registered under the BFL breed, these would have coloured markings on their faces rather than they clean face.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Cran

As WP says they originated from milford area in Donegal and would be a bit like the BFL in frame and carcase. when crossed with the mule they produce a really dark coloured mule lamb, tight skinned and sharp head.

Without wanting to derail the thread i saw an interesting article in the Farmers Weekly last week about the rift in the BFL society about the pureness of the BFL now under threat from the Cross type rams that are now being bred and registered under the BFL breed, these would have coloured markings on their faces rather than they clean face.

Cheers for that.

Is that arguement in the BFL society not a bit mad considering thats how they came into existence from the Border Leicester, or at least thats my understanding:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭paddysdream

Lamb trade a bit depressing at the moment.4.60 in Kepak yesterday(according to a neighbour) but think 4.70 or a bit more still stirring for some people.
    At least most places have moved on to 22kgs.
    Killed some last week at 4.80 but only to 21.5 kg.Had 3 overweight ones(25.4,23.6 and 22.7).Ewe lambs being kept for breeding but decided they wouldn't suit.

Good demand for cast ewes from the factories as they were ringing around last week looking for them.
    Breeding trade will be dear this year according to all reports.Reckon they will be 20 to 30 a head up from last year.
    Hoggets were pricey enough in Tullow yesterday according to all reports.Ewe breeders sale on today so might ramble over for a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

These updates on sheep prices can be very helpful. Good to know what's going on in the ground

Breeding ewe trade on fire in Tullow on Wednesday.Tops of the hoggets made 220 to 230 and the general run was 180 to 200 euro per head.Anything at less than that were poor to middling sheep.
    Ewe lambs made up to 170,general price 140 or thereabouts although a few lots made only factory price.
    Think only one pen of each unsold.Very quick sales with a good few going north and lots of customers.
    Meanwhile back on earth lamb prices stuck at 4.60 or so with a poorish store trade in the south east at least.

Heard Blessington was dear for breeding ewes today.
    Hoggets a good price in Tullow.Clearance sale of "easy care" sheep there as well today;made about 60 to 80 euro a head ;put up as mixed lots ot 2 3 and 4 year olds with sold as seen.
    Kilkenny yesterday and Tullow today had a poor trade for lambs ;eg. 45 kgs making 86 euro(thats about 4.10 a kilo assuming 21kg killout.
    Only heard all the above,wasn't in any mart yet this week.Factory trade a bit easier this week as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Was in Coolaney (south Sligo) last Sat for a look see,good trade for store lambs,lambs for further feeding-cheviot ram lambs from 60-70 euro (35kg+)....Suffolk x ram lambs roughly 35kgs 70 euro,
    Good quality Suffolk x ewe lambs 40 kg approx bought to be kept as Hoggets 40 kg approx from 85 euro to 95 euro.

An old thread but deals with the Store lamb trade which is kicking off in earnest now……

So would be useful for people to share prices they see/get for stock here over next few months,can also mention trade for breeding ewe lambs and Hoggets when that trade starts up in a few weeks time.

interesting to note the trade certainly wasn’t hectic in 2014!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

Also interesting to note the retail/consumer price in Europe hasn’t had the same rise.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Country lad

sold store lambs weighing around 34 kg for 94 euro to a neighbour .been selling to same man for a good few years also have some lambs that be fit for the factory soon

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭leoch

Seen a mart online today rams lambs 41 to 45kgs good sorts struggle to make 115/120 thought they should have made more surly the would made a good bit more in factory's???

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Country lad

i seen the price if sheep in kk mart were back 2 to 6 kg a head for most lots

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭Dickie10

bought 97 ewe and wether lambs from Kenmare mart on Monday they landed here yesterday. average 30kg and 80 euro. thats about 13 euro dearer than last year. but sure what do you do, you cant let grass just waste, hopefully prices lift around december again like last year, ill buy another 100 in early sept. cattle are crazy money but i feel the rug can be pulled from under them easier. i dont believe the supply is ther with lambs and they cant get them in from northern england in jan-april as easily now there a non EU country.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Murang

Have you ever gone down to buy yourself or does Dan organise everything

no never went down , leave it all to Dan , he gets as good a value as anyone. i plan on going in 2 weeks just for a few nights and meet the man himself, i heard kenmare is a nice town.

80 is a reasonable price...if they are good growthy lambs....when are you aiming to sell em on

there all suffolk cross, going to give them first dose of flukiver this week then dip them. ill sell as they come fit i dont think ill intensive feed them until december this year

• Registered Users Posts: 4,523 ✭✭✭White Clover

Prices seem to be holding anyway i think. I haven't sold anything this week. The only mart I saw was Stranorlar last night. Nice ram lambs made upto €2.80/kg and similar tupe ewe lambs were making €3/kg.

A group of 18.4kg lambs made €72!

Nothing wrong with them at that price....the Suffolk Cross will help a lot in kill out....was in Dowra yday....saw big raw crossbred ram horned lambs....31 kg make 85 euro....great price I thought.

Word was factories will be pulling again from Monday but that’s to be expected this time of year.....fat lambs a hard sell....42 kg Suffolk rams €114 ......any nice breeding ewe lambs from €120 euro up for say 35 kg lambs.

seemingly prices were back on last week for all types of stock.

Edited there .....realised I had wrong price in for factory lambs.

Post edited by Bleating Lamb on

ill get a another load in mid sept, hopefully a bit cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 4,164 ✭✭✭orm0nd

is there a waiting list, or have you to be a regular customer to get priority ?

a fellow asked me source a few store lambs for him & tbh I've enough happening without looking for more hardship

• Advertisement

if we wants stores badly enough he should be well fit to look into it himself, the mart number is there for everyone. I am buying them about 6 years now, the mart manager does the best he can and never rode me i dont think he would its not in his interest. i got lambs for lads before one who should have been well able to get them himself and wasnt overly thankful either the other a young chap just out of Leaving cert that was starting out in farming , i was delighted to set him up, he goes down the last two years and buys himself now. I wouldnt bother anymore with sourcing them for lads, they want everything done for them now i just point them in the direction of the mart website/phone number.

I rang up the first year and told him a neighbouring farmer gave me the contact, i would imagine the mart manager then checked me out with the guy whos family deal down there over 40 years, then there was no problem. when the young chap went down to buy lambs the following year I got a call from the mart to ask about him too.

Advertisement