Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

I posted on the travel forum that UK will still need quaranteen and tests for fully vaccinated travellers from France.

astounding, so it seems the UK govt. are anti vaxxers - that's a turn up for the books!!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Concretejungle

You could ring them up and ask them. Probably the best answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Dickie10

How is scotland faring with hospital and icu numbers the last few days? surely we can tell a lot about the next few weeks from them and ther expernce with delta? any word on India this weather?

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Ballynally

I saw that too.Governments in general seem to make these sudden moves from time to time. This one because of some variant whose prevalence they are not even sure about.

You would like to be a fly on the wall when these things are discussed in government circles. This move to have fully vaccinated people quarantined without a thorough assessment (or so it seems) runs so contrary to the lifting of most restrictions that you have to question the sanity of those in charge. All the UKs official talk about the importance of vaccination and the freedom it gives can now just be dismissed.

If a caveat can appear out of nowhere anything can happen at any moment.

Maybe its all because of what happened w Delta in the UK (and then throughout the EU) and the 3 week unrestricted flight liberty fr India.

Post edited by Ballynally on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭Adrian.Sadlier

The point I was making with regards to the mortality figures is that MSM no longer report them in the headlines every day. Why, because they are so low and do not fit the official narrative of creating fear. People need information to make informed decisions. Such as hopitalisation figures for people admitted because of Covid-19 and not just the total number in hospital with Covid-19 - there is a significant difference between these two statistics. Also, daily deaths should show the number of people who died because of Covid-19, not just those who died with Covid-19. Many coroners have begun to reverse findings of certification of death as Covid-19. Unfortunately, these inquests take too long for people to use the information now. I am sure you have heard the expression "Lies, damned lies, and statistics". Our government and NPHET certainly have. Why are so many afraid of informed debate?

Post edited by Adrian.Sadlier on

• Advertisement

And you need to remove your blindfold, research and make an informed judgement. Your comment is typical of those incapable of arguing the facts. Just like our politicians, if you can't discredit someone's argument, you discredit them. Such an intellectually lazy approach is a dis-service to yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭prunudo

Your first mistake was assuming they want us to make informed decisions. After 18 months its clear they, or certainly the cmo, thinks we are all idiots and not to be trusted to make our own risk assessments or mature enough to act accordingly.

The pcr misrepresentation alone has been debunked hundreds of times on this thread alone. Disproving the same nonsense arguments day after day is tedious in the extreme

• Registered Users Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭brickster69

The French certainly know how to do a demo.

https://twitter.com/DAVIDOD50/status/1416491728073338882

All roads lead to Rome.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,753 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Are we because Christmas would have proved otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Ridiculous article in the Irish Times today about a cluster that happened in a restaurant in Dublin back in December 2020. Basically telling us to be quiet and accept indoor dining is dangerous and this is what will happen again if it’s opened up. She even says in her opening that “we tell the story not to be alarmist” so they are just **** trolling us at this stage. I’m sure all the articles about clusters in care homes and hospitals will be along any minute now right? Right?

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

Meanwhile indoor dining been going on in Spain since January and no spikes from it - and before the lockdown fetishists start shouting look at spain now , the outbreaks now are from the young teens/20s out partying hopping all over each other - nothing to do with restaurants.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Unlike us lot, the French have a pair, which makes it harder for their government and the EU to ride roughshod over them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

There was a QR code on our antigen test from Randox last week.

Dont know what it was for though. We were flying to Spain so it was the QR code on the Spanish locator app that was scanned on entry

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭RoversCeltic

i have a sports club meeting organized indoors for Friday -is it allowed?

Touché!

But being serious, the guidelines for interpreting PCR tests using a high Ct value/low viral load are quite complicated https://www.hpsc.ie/a-z/respiratory/coronavirus/novelcoronavirus/algorithms/PCR%20weak%20results%20guidance.pdf

Where people tested are asymptomatic and have a positive result, with a high Ct/low viral load result, they should be retested, within a one to two day period, before being classified as potentially infectious. I have not heard of a single case of this scenario. As the focus on test results is on symptomatic individuals ("Patients who are most seriously ill and in hospital will get their results first" - HSE) most asymptomatic individuals will take longer than 2 days to get their results.

Basically, I believe that the HSE is not an efficient organisation. And is hence incapable of doing this. Which results in these individuals being classified as positive. It is a complicated area and your and Raind's response is, I believe, reflective of exposure to too many real tinfoil hat wearers, resulting in an almost Pavlovian reaction to anyone who disagrees with the official line.

I enjoy dialectical argument, and learn and modify my beliefs accordingly. I abhor dismissive, knee jerk reactions to a hypothesis that is contrary to someone's currently held beliefs.

This, I believe, is the real problem. We appear to have lost the ability to have reasoned, respectful debate. Debate involves exploring conflicting opinions and differing interpretations of facts. And I see little of that in parts of this thread (and elsewhere). Emotive, disparaging (and often personally insulting) retorts, and outright dismission of opposing beliefs, seems to be more common.

I am not surprised. But I am disappointed. My personal experience on Boards has up until now, been limited to the Photography forum. Perhaps I have been spoiled by the more considered approach of the posters there!

The same French who had travel restrictions where you had to show papers and had curfews?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The invocation of reasoned debate is usually more than a hint of a lack of reasoned debate. You seem to have a lot of very fixed notions about many things including a propensity to bloviate to other posters on the art of debate. That in itself is a lack of respect. That you are not surprised and almost instantly disappointed suggests little interest in dialectics.

As for your beef with PCR , asymptomatics and all the rest, it has been done to death and the system is run by people far more knowledgeable than posters imagine themselves to be. These questions are also no longer relevant in any way to where we are and TBH if you feel they are you might want to reflect on these reasoned positions of yours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

"By people far more knowledgeable..." Appeal to authority, really? PCR is the gold standard, we've been told this ad nauseum, but it's still a **** standard in the same way biting on a stick was the gold standard for anaesthesia in the middle ages

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

They do what we want them to do; find symptomatic cases. If you have a better gold standard I'm sure they'd love to hear from you.

Careful w those gold standards. They might go up or down in value. As regards PCR tests, they are both more reliable AND less reliable depending on the amount of cycles used in the test. They have the ability to trace more virus particles but the downside is that they also create false positives the higher the CT with remnants/particles of the virus in the blood detected long after both the replication and infection phase. As SarsCov2 runs out of steam after roughly 10 days the remaining particles in the blood are not causing any infection and do not replicate and the immune system keeps working on getting rid of them. Harmless as they are, clotting and other issues aside, the PCR test w a high CT will likely turn positive even when you are unsymptomatic w NO viral load in your respiratory tract and NO shedding, ie, not infectious in any way.

After the infectious and replication phase the immune system itself might cause more damage leading to auto immune issues, nothing to do w the virus itself. Organising pneumonia due to the immune system going haywire, for instance.

So, PCR test is a Gold Standard. However, application is a key factor.

Of course health bodies love them. Less people through the door.

In many cases an antigen test will be a more practical solution. Yes, some infections will be missed because of the time frame but if they can be done quickly the more uptake and a larger catchment area. Nothing is 100%. We are in the realm of practical effectiveness.

Other countries are further ahead.

Post edited by Ballynally on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭growleaves

The incoherence around rules re PCR testing speaks for itself. You need a negative PCR test to enter the country but you still have to isolate in case its a false negative. But you don't you dare say there are false positives.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I read that article and I get their point and all but the last line really, really, REALLY annoyed me.Basically said well the Government opened up against NPHET's advice at Christmas and look what happened, and now they are doing it all over again.So none of these adults who attended or worked at the restaurant can take responsibility for themselves can they?It's the Government's fault that hands weren't washed, sanitisers ran out, the numbers were hard to manage, and all the other things that happened??It was a ridiculous article and it was designed to scare (some) people, I thought it was a really poor show by the IT.

There seems to be no agreed nr of PCR cycles needed to assess whether someone is infectious or not. It is all over the place. Ive seen between 20 and 40 cycles mentioned as the standard test variable (although i believe it is 40-45 in Ireland)

I wonder who decides where they are done in Ireland. Who sets the bar regarding cycle nrs?

Manufacturer?

It is really important imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭323

Agree, more so as this has gone on, real doubts about this PCR gold standard boll**ks. PCR testing, The bane of my existence lately☹️. Overseeing a phase of a construction project in Africa atm, over a hundred folks on location, different nationalities, age groups, some "vaccinated", all tested at least 5 times. Small group but an eye opener all the same.

Sorry, nothing to do with tread. Useless bit of info gleaned from an interest in old naval and maritime history, the stick in mouth, was actually to prevent the poor bugger having a limb amputated etc. shattering their teeth and/or biting off their tongue.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

• Registered Users Posts: 16,011 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Things seem a lot quieter in here, are people just moving on or is it because the site is horrible to use.

Could be a bit of both. Nice weather too. People outside enjoying themselves perhaps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,334 ✭✭✭Tork

Maybe boards being down was a blessing in disguise for some of the people who were regularly posting here. I have wondered aloud in here if these forums have been doing as much damage to people's mental health as the restrictions and the news reports. Especially a few posters who have admitted that they are prone to being anxious or low. It's all too easy to get a bit obsessed with Covid and the circus surrounding it when it's a 24/7 news cycle. Maybe some were addicted to posting here, or at the very least had turned it into a significant pastime.

Advertisement