Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Blanchardstown Shopping Center 2021 Updates?

• 06-06-2021 5:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭

Anyone have any opinions on the new update to Blanchardstown Shopping Center?

To me...

* It looks too much darker now than it did before...
    before it was all about the light and bright walls
    - now it feels like the Ilac center - all darker walls, dark murals on walls, darker floors and ceiling.

* I miss already the water feature - was a nice place to sit as a meeting place when waiting for someone.

* And the signature long escalator is gone....replaced with one normal short one.

* The huge open space for Choirs and Christmas trees and Irish Dancing... is now a lift.
    That could have been thought out more
    - maybe a permanent stage area and build the lift into the wall
    - if it was even really needed (there was one right there at the top of the long escalator already).

The new Red entrance is ok though... with the new donut shop...

What you think?

Before
    555100.jpg

Before - Open Area
    555101.jpg

The Plan
    555104.jpg

What it actually looks like today
    555103.jpg

“Roll it back”

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

The centre is looking good and is being given a much needed face lift.
    You have posted a night time photo with closed shops to compare with daytime photos so of course it looks darker. Downstairs they've done some clever things with roof lighting to make it much brighter.

The long travelator had to go. There were many safety incidents on it and it had to be manned by staff at all times. This setup is far more efficient.

Overall so far so good. Of course the key is what stores there are and that will be a massive struggle as we exit covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭raheny red

I said before that the addition of the revolving doors was ridiculous. Since the shops reopened post covid they're not even in operation. On the plus side, Aldi & Art of Coffee are a great addition to the M&S end. It was kind of a forgotten part of the centre for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I really like it. I just hope they can find someone to take over the empty units and bring a bit of life back into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

raheny red wrote: »
    I said before that the addition of the revolving doors was ridiculous. Since the shops reopened post covid they're not even in operation. On the plus side, Aldi & Art of Coffee are a great addition to the M&S end. It was kind of a forgotten part of the centre for years.

Both are getting a lot of business from me. Although since all the other shops reopened, getting parking is a bit of an issue. And there aren't nearly enough bays to return an Aldi spec trolley.

I don't know why they don't just have one Centre branded trolley instead of about 6 different types

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Nolimits

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Both are getting a lot of business from me. Although since all the other shops reopened, getting parking is a bit of an issue. And there aren't nearly enough bays to return an Aldi spec trolley.

I don't know why they don't just have one Centre branded trolley instead of about 6 different types

They did used to have shopping centre branded trolleys. The center was **** at maintaining them. Used to be constant complaints so the shops got in their own.

Edit. The starred out word is another word for poop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,247 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

IngazZagni wrote: »
    The long travelator had to go. There were many safety incidents on it and it had to be manned by staff at all times. This setup is far more efficient.

The new setup is definitely better than having to pay someone who is bored out of their head just to watch people coming up a travelator. But I could never understand how there were so many safety issues with it - how feckin' stupid do you have to be that you can't get on and off a simple moving ramp without maiming yourself?

Nolimits wrote: »
    They did used to have shopping centre branded trolleys. The center was **** at maintaining them. Used to be constant complaints so the shops got in their own.

Edit. The starred out word is another word for poop

Yeah I remember it now that you say it. You'd think for the management of a massive retail complex, maintaining a few flippin trollies would not be complicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭Phil.x

The old long escalator, water feature and large open space the photo above look so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

The long escalator or travelator was there for trollies when Roches Stores had a supermarket adjacent. As most shoppers using trollies now would just use the Dunnes carpark or more recently the one next to Aldi, the travelator which takes up lots of space was obsolete for that purpose. I'm sure wheelchair users or those with buggies will miss it but the addition of new lifts will address that.

I like the new look and prefer the slightly darker ambience. I felt the old top floor was too glaring and hot on bright sunny summer days with all the glass.

On a separate note, I read in the Sunday Times this morning that Zara are going to occupy the entire top floor of old Debenhams. That will make it a huge store! Same article said Sostrene & Grene left over a rent dispute with the centre landlords.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

I was on that travelator numerous times and it never felt any different to any other travelator or escalator in big department stores although I did notice there was always someone at the top. Was there something about it that made it more dangerous than usual?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,176 ✭✭✭ongarite

ongarboy wrote: »
    On a separate note, I read in the Sunday Times this morning that Zara are going to occupy the entire top floor of old Debenhams. That will make it a huge store! Same article said Sostrene & Grene left over a rent dispute with the centre landlords.

I think Dunnes own all those units on the ground floor near their store.
    Have heard bad things about them as a landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,131 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

The loss of the long travelator is creating queues for lifts for people with trollies and buggies. Seems a bit silly to get rid of it. But suppose it saves paying to have a staff member there at all times.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I think the idea is that the exttra set of lifts being built in that same space should take the trolkies and buggies but they probbly should have been done more closely together - covid probably scuppered some of the plans.

The loss of the long travelator is creating queues for lifts for people with trollies and buggies. Seems a bit silly to get rid of it. But suppose it saves paying to have a staff member there at all times.

What they spent replacing it could have paid for 4 attendants for about 10 years!

Why did they need staff there anyway, could they not have put in cordons?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,131 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

What they spent replacing it could have paid for 4 attendants for about 10 years!

I think there was a lawsuit a few years back

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

I think there was a lawsuit a few years back

I should've known. Did someone get slightly inconvenienced?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

They were watching for people hanging over the sides or getting in to difficulty, not just crowd control.

There was a death in Dunnes ~18 years ago which started the staff watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,142 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I don't think so, there was always someone at the top of the travelator during busy hours for as long as I remember, before that death anyway.

I do remember that incident, but considering there are escalators in many parts of the Centre, removing the travelator and not just securing its edges seems like a massive overreaction

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Taking out the Travelator and Fountain, results in more retail space, thus more money.
    It’s all about the bottom line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

I thought the staff members main job was to help pull heavy trollies off the travelator at the top so there wouldn't be a pile-up of people behind if a trolley got stuck on the edge at the top and there was a delay in pressing the emergency stop button.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I know its Westend not Blanch, but *all* GAP stores are closing. Initially they said they'd close some stores and there was discussion on a thread I can't find it.

https://news.sky.com/story/gap-to-close-all-stores-across-uk-and-ireland-and-move-online-only-12345940

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

When we were in there recently the woman behind the till told us that they were probably going to be closing they were just waiting to hear for definite. Sad for the staff, they've had a crap year as it is with closures.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Daeltaja

Shame that another business is closing. Gap though, not really surprised as I never see anyone wearing their clothes anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

New Gino Gelato kiosk on upper mall in front of Jump Juice. Probably a better location than their lower mall unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Daeltaja

Nice to see the roof cracked and leaking already at the Dunnes entrance!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭raheny red

The very same happened at the Aldi entrance shortly after opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,814 ✭✭✭jeffk

Plus the wheelchair access door constantly broken

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

These things happen with new builds and refurbishments. The contractors will quickly resolve it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,187 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Sad to see the fountain and large travelator go, but i think we need to be more concerned with how they're going to fill the Debenhams store. Thats a massive lot and makes the shopping center look like a ghost mall.

Advertisement