Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Travelling to the UK from Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ClosedAccountFuzzy

Sounds like a communication screw up. They should be communicating exactly what you’ll need to do on board the flight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

Yes another missed opportunity. The only concern I had with journey was that only one door/steps used to enter plane so I had to walk full length to my second last row seat and then we had an extra hour sitting as some mixup with luggage and all had to be taken off and checked. I had to put the air vents 'on' in my row as it got stuffy over that time. And back door was not opened. I wonder how many fully vaccinated people in fellow passengers. The flight was fairly full too compared to last one. An evening flight and with delay the food/drink trolley was busy and of course masks removed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20 LuckyFriend

As it stands for 19th of July do they plan on abolishing the requirement of PCR testing or have they not discussed what this date involves rather than leaving us confused over lifting international travel.

I understand it to mean you are ok to enter Ireland if fully vaccinated but will still need recent PCR if not? And information of same entered on the Green Covid Passport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

As it stands for 19th of July do they plan on abolishing the requirement of PCR testing or have they not discussed what this date involves rather than leaving us confused over lifting international travel.

Most likely..... But nothing guaranteed and nothing clarified as of right now

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭patscott27

Any one know when 2K fine will be abolished for travelling to Port or Airport for the purpose of leaving the state.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,145 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

patscott27 wrote: »
    Any one know when 2K fine will be abolished for travelling to Port or Airport for the purpose of leaving the state.

19 July

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭bleuhh

Garlinge wrote: »
    I am just back from some time in UK.

1. going there was just as usual apart from deserted airport and most units closed or boarded over and a garda presence on approach ramp to main entrance.

2 Return was more tricky. You need to do a PCR test in time for a result to be back and still valid for flight time. I used Boots at £85 and received an email notification in about 18 hrs with link to a document with of negative test. A day or so before travel I filled out a 'locator form'. At the boarding gate, I needed to show the PCR test result as well as usual passport and boarding card. In Dublin Queues were slow at passport control with the automatic checks not in use. Each person took longer and needed to show locator form and evidence of PCR test as well as passport.

Thanks Garlinge

Was there any Garda presence within the terminal checking reason for travel?

No Gardai in evidence on arrival back, exited airport as normal. When leaving Ireland, there was a checkpoint just before the ramp up to 'set down' area but I was not stopped ( in taxi).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

Yes another missed opportunity. The only concern I had with journey was that only one door/steps used to enter plane so I had to walk full length to my second last row seat and then we had an extra hour sitting as some mixup with luggage and all had to be taken off and checked. I had to put the air vents 'on' in my row as it got stuffy over that time. And back door was not opened. I wonder how many fully vaccinated people in fellow passengers. The flight was fairly full too compared to last one. An evening flight and with delay the food/drink trolley was busy and of course masks removed.

Were you not boarded by row number so that having to walk past the whole plane was avoided…so you should have been second row to board?

A bit uncomfortable if they’ve done away with this practice already

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

Children under the age of 6 do not need to do a PCR test, when travelling to Ireland.

Were you not boarded by row number so that having to walk past the whole plane was avoided…so you should have been second row to board?

No boarding by row number, just 'priorty Q' first on. It was first time I remember Ryanair not having the rear steps available. I was uneasy to have to walk down a nearly full plane with only the front door for ventilation. Then to have to sit an extra hour while they sorted the bag issue. But I think the overhead vents worked in that time but they had to be turned 'on' by each passanger.

The rear steps were there in Dublin and I was first off the plane.

Five days on and still well and head for first PCR test tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Meisiekind81

Wonder if anyone that traveled to the UK from Dublin recently can help. I'm flying to Birmingham and need to travel by train to Nottingham. Was there any Covid or immigration checks in the UK or is it same as always? If there were, how long did it take? Just need to know what time to book my train.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭patscott27

Wonder if anyone that traveled to the UK from Dublin recently can help. I'm flying to Birmingham and need to travel by train to Nottingham. Was there any Covid or immigration checks in the UK or is it same as always? If there were, how long did it take? Just need to know what time to book my train.
    Thanks
    There will be no covid checks and usually no passport checks for flights from Ireland. Very cursory glance at most before you go on your way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

No boarding by row number, just 'priorty Q' first on. It was first time I remember Ryanair not having the rear steps available. I was uneasy to have to walk down a nearly full plane with only the front door for ventilation. Then to have to sit an extra hour while they sorted the bag issue. But I think the overhead vents worked in that time but they had to be turned 'on' by each passanger.

The rear steps were there in Dublin and I was first off the plane.

Five days on and still well and head for first PCR test tomorrow.

Yeah not great having to walk past so many people and then having to wait for an hour for the bag issue

Should have had both doors open for max ventilation and safer boarding

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Eli1

Can anyone advise Will the UK come under green travel cert on July 19th. I have both vaccinations and am hoping I wont need a pcr /quarantine to return from the UK after July 19th but cant see any guidance?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Eli1

Can anyone advise Will the UK come under green travel cert on July 19th. I have both vaccinations and am hoping I wont need a pcr /quarantine to return from the UK after July 19th but cant see any guidance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭PCros

Is there any requirements or restrictions for holidaying in Northern Ireland?

Yes I need to do another UK trip in mid August and wish it was clear what are the rules for UK travellers entering Ireland after next week.

• Advertisement

Yes they will. Don't have time to Google them now but many articles in the papers this week about it being good news for the Irish in Britain.

I'm traveling to the UK next week too and waiting anxiously for my certificate to arrive!

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Connacht15

I hope to fly to England at the end of the month and The Irish Embassy has just saud for those that are fully vaxxed there will be no need to quarantine back in Ireland on return post July 19th!

I have a few quick questions, if anybody can help me please -

1 Do Ryanair still accept paper boarding passes or is it all done through their App?

2 Will I have to sign locator forms in advance of travelling and will that apply to both countries?

3 Do The British Authorities accept a paper version of our Covid Vaccine cert?

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Ryanair say to have your boarding pass on the app.

No passenger locator form for the UK for us but you need to fill in one for Ireland on the way back. You need to upload the receipt to your Ryanair booking.

Easiest to scan the digital green certificate, Ryanair require you to upload it to the app too.

There will always be some people who have a paper boarding card and that is accepted but I suppose due to covid concerns the App is preferred as less to handle? The locator form can be filled out in advance online and record then is on your phone. When I travelled back into Ireland last September there were paper forms around and people filling out as they waited for passport control but not on my last trip back last month, everyone seemed to have a digital version of the locator form. I suppose it also could be printed out in advance for those who did not wish to use a smartphone?

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭HalfAndHalf

Where does it say you have to upload a ‘receipt’ of your locator form to the app?

I’ve got to fly to England on Wednesday and I’ve my DCC which I’ve uploaded to the Covid tracker app for scanning, got an email from RyanAir this morning saying I’ve to upload the DCC to my booking when checking in. Then when I’ve downloaded my boarding card pass to my phone it shows as ‘Covid documentation uploaded’ but still the standard QR boarding code.

Nothing about uploading a receipt of locator form, this is the information they sent:

This is your last chance reminder to ensure you aware of all mandatory travel requirements before you fly. It is each passenger’s responsibility to check local requirements before travelling. - If you have an EU Digital Covid Travel Certificate, you must bring it with you. If you have been issued with your cert, please remember to upload it when you are checking-in on Ryanair.com/the app – additionally you must print it out and bring it with you to the airport.

- If you do not have EU Digital Covid Travel Certificate yet, you must comply with local travel requirements, for all countries that you fly to. See our Travel Advisory for more.

- Passenger locator forms (if required) must be completed fully and correctly. They will be requested at the airport. Click here for forms.

- Make sure you have your face mask(s). They are mandatory in the airport and onboard your flight. Some countries require passengers to wear surgical or FFP2 face masks at the airport and onboard the aircraft. 

Failure to present mandatory documentation may result in your travel/entry being denied by local authorities and in some cases, may result in a fine by local authorities of up to 500.00 EUR. Please ensure that you arrive a minimum of 2.5 hours prior to departure and have all mandatory travel documents prepared, ready for inspection at your departure airport.

We apologise for the inconvenience caused by these travel restrictions and document requirements, these government-imposed restrictions are outside of our control.

Kind regards, 

Ryanair Customer Care

I got an email last week saying I had to. Deleted it after I uploaded the receipt. Still waiting on my Digital Covid Certificate as I only got my second vaccine last week but I'm told I should have it early this week.

• Advertisement

I don’t understand this receipt you’re talking about. What receipt? The locator form is just a form, you either print it or show the border guard it on your phone.

Got a receipt email. Screenshotted it and uploaded that.

Ah right, so you mean the emailed passenger locator form. You don’t need to upload this to the RyanAir app, you just show the order guard the email.

You also don’t need to upload the DCC to the RyanAir app; they just added that feature as at the time the Gov hadn’t come up with a digital solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Joffrey

Sorry for being that guy, but im almost like dyslexic when it comes to figuring this out. For me to travel to england I just need an antigen test is it? then to come back I need a PCR test? just trying to keep it really simple, i keep reading like caveats in people's questions or something, it's not computing with me.

Are you vaccinated? If so you need neither

• Advertisement

As of today you can travel in either direction with no form filling, covid testing etc, assuming you are fully vaccinated.

Nope that’s not right!

If you’re flying from the U.K. as of today and are fully vaccinated, you need to:

—Complete a passenger locator form

—Carry your DCC

If you’re not vaccinated you need:

—A negative PCR test no older than 72 hours

—A passenger locator form

Thanks

What is point of locator form when no need to do quarantine? Uk travelers need to have NHS info of their vaccine status. So no form filling or covid tests.

All arrivals need to complete the passenger locator form. We don't have to fill in the form traveling to the UK but need to fill in the Irish one for coming back

Cheers, so its definitely wrong what I heard. Which is to leave you can have an antigen test, but to get back in you need the pcr test. I have had one shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Lemsiper

Anyone get fully vaccinated in the UK and then travel to Ireland after?

Are they able to scan the NHS QR codes as proof of vaccination?

Im doing a PCR prior, obviously, but just curious about the vaccine part.

If you're fully vaccinated why are you doing a PCR test? Bravo if it's out of personal responsibility given the current figures in the UK, but it's not required here. Irish Embassy in London says NHS vaccine certificate QR code is acceptable

Really don't want to potentially carry any of that delta variant home.

Appreciate the response regarding the QR.

Cheers.

❤️ Thank you!! A total contrast to the "I'm going to fake a PCR test result" poster on another thread in this forum.

Yes, that's not really a helpful attitude to have.

Im under no illusions that I can still carry it even whilst fully vaccinated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Eire_1600

Hi Guys,

I’m due to travel to England on Thursday morning, I received the Janssen vaccine on the 10th so I will not be fully vaccinated until the 24th and have yet to receive the EU green cert. I have my vaccine card from the pharmacy so I will bring that just in case.

Do I still need a negative PCR test to go to England? On the government website it says it’s not required but I will need a negative PCR to travel back to Ireland on Friday which I can get over there. Also what locator forms will I need to get through border control?

Thanks in advance for any help.

You’ve never needed a negative test to enter the U.K.

You’ll need to complete a passenger locator form for coming back here to show to the border guards.

Also, according to here - https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/77952-government-advice-on-international-travel/#passengers-arriving-into-ireland-from-outside-eu-iceland-lichtenstein-norway-switzerland

You may need to do this as you’ve no DCC as nobody knows if we’ll accept the vaccination card as proof, and you won’t technically be fully vaccinated.

• present evidence of a negative result from a RT-PCR test taken within 72 hours prior to arrival into the country
    • self-quarantine for 14 days
    • if you receive a negative result from a RT-PCR test taken from day 5 onwards after arrival into Ireland, you will be able to leave quarantine

Edited to add, you don’t say when you’re coming back, could you get on to the helpline and sort your DCC (apparently they’re saying 72 hours to get the email once you speak to them) and then if you’re coming back after the 24th you’re covered anyway 👍

Post edited by HalfAndHalf on

It seems Eire 600 is travelling to UK on a Thursday and returning on a Friday. If that is the next day, it will be difficult to get a PCR test processed in time. You could have one done in Ireland for use when you return if within the 72 hour window. The result will be emailed to you. You do not need a PCR to enter uk or a locator form which can also be digital and a copy on your phone.

You’re right, I missed that, thanks

In that case it could get quite awkward!

im suffering here. Just for fly from here to UK. Everything i can see says i need no tests at all? On ryanair customer service waiting hours, is this simple statement true, also I am unvaccinated

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭I see sheep

There are no checks for flying between Ireland and the UK for anything! Chill out man 😀

Arrived in Edinburgh yesterday. As we entered the terminal there was a guy asking if we'd been anywhere other than Ireland in the past 10 days, that was it.

Nothing required going to U.K. but assume you’re aware of what’s needed to come back yeah?

Flew to Stansted from Cork on Wednesday and no checks either side, same as normal.

Flew back this morning and twas carnage. Shortage of security staff so only 5 lines open.

Ryanair check your Covid cert/PCR test/Locator Form and give you a ticket that it’s all checked then you go and queue as normal, you then give it back when they scan your pass and check your passport. Only issue was my 2nd Pfizer was on the 12th and your wan was all like ‘is that 14 days’ I said erm no it’s 7 days for Pfizer in Ireland so it’s grand. She then went on to say am I on the Cork flight isn’t a Ireland part of ‘us’ now!!!!! I mean Jaysus WTAF!! She works for RyanAir ffs!

Cork wasn’t the normal short queue as they’re then checking the same on arrival so slow going through security but only like a minute or two per person, just long queues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭machaseh

Hi. I am unvaccinated and will (hopefully....) be travelling this Saturday from Dublin port to Holyhead Wales with Irish Ferries. I will return about a week later (again, hopefully....). So I have some questions.

1. Is it true I will not need either a PCR test nor an english version of the PLF when traveling? As per link below.
    2. I gather that I do need a PCR test to return to Ireland as I am unvaccinated as well as the plf form. Now WHERE in the area of Llanllyfni Wales am I able to obtain a PCR test? Can I get it in caernarfon? As I don't drive it should be somewhere that is easily reachable by bus if possible so it disrupts my travel the least possible.

• Advertisement

1. Yes, as it currently stands.

2. That's up to you to find out. If you're not vaccinated, you need the test. I doubt many boardsies are familiar with test centres in North Wales. You will also need to self quarantine here on return, have another pcr test 5 days later and if that's negative you can then exit self quarantine.

Advertisement