Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All Ireland Senior Hurling Championship (Liam McCarthy Cup) 2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭17togo

Derek Mcgrath is involved with a club in Wexford I think, he's my hot tip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Sad to see the Dublin challenge falter and kk win yet another title but hopefully when Dublin get their missing players back they'll put up a big fight in the quarters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭External Association

He's Davy Fitz on steroids.

Wexford were always a free flowing hurling county. They need someone with a bit more positivity.

Was chatting with a young fella on this year's Laois minors, McGrath was involved and had 7 game plans! They lost to Kildare by 7 points and to quote Ger Loughnane played 'constipated' hurling. Information overload.

'Shakespeare' McGrath would destroy Wexford. A Liam Cahill, Eddie Brennan type coach would do far better.

100% agree with Galvin. Anyone who had personal interaction with Fitzgerald would know he bullies more than is bullied.

Again his interview is all about keeping his name in the news. Keeping well in with Rte for his pay cheque, will he roars at lads from disadvantaged backgrounds to climb mountains.

The real hurling managers, Sheedy, Cody, O'Neill, Keilly, Kenny, Lohan, Cheddar, Cahill etc just do their job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭Rosita

Cody's legacy? Now I see where you're coming from. Of course. In this day and age what manager will be able to give 20 years at any job with a county?

On the other hand, legacy relates to leaving. He hadn't left yet. There are many people in Kilkenny who think he should not be manager anymore. He has remained ahead of the curve just about. For example this year he has reached an All Ireland semi final by beating teams 8 and 9 of the top 9. It's a slice of luck in terms of the draw.

Rationally (and that's a very difficult standard to achieve, as it's all about who you're "shoutin' for") he is staring at the possibility that he might end with a final decade with no All Ireland title. While it is true to say that he is competing against himself in some ways, the idea that his legacy is beyond revision is wrong.

• Advertisement

Even if they had their big ball players they lack hurling slickness like KK, Tipp, Cork Limerick etc. Today most of the missed pick ups were from Dublin. Their touch wasn't sharp enough. Bar Chris Crummey and Sutcliffe I didn't see any really natural hurlers.

Great heart, spirit but rely too much on horsepower against the really top teams. Has been that way with Dublin hurlers for a while. Con O'Callaghan is the only footballer who would make a difference, but not enough. Huge difference between club and county too.

A lot of this is true but it ignores that a lot of Kilkenny's success tonight had its foundation in pure intensity, closing players down, denying them space. They did successfully what Dublin themselves need to be doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Dublin are always under more pressure when playing Kilkenny. The physical advantages of the lads in black and amber are obvious. By and large they're quicker, stronger and they without question work harder as a team. Boland and O'Sullivan tried manfully but they were beaten to every ball and on the occasions they engaged in a tussle they were pushed off it.

I hear the words 'natural hurlers' and i laugh. It's uneducated nonsense always thrown at Dublin. We don't need natural hurlers... we need lads who can run through brick walls and exert pressure on their opponent for 70 minutes.

It's no coincidence either the 'natural hurlers' he picked out are probably the two most physically capable players we have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭threeball

Dublins problem is the same as you see in any mid tier club or county. Their top lads are nearly always confined to the rear 8 to prevent a blow out and as a result they have little outlet up front. You'll always struggle without something to lift the morale and ease the pressure on the defence.

Galway left 3-14 behind them the last day and barely got out of 2nd gear. Complacency cost them and thats where teams like Dublin thrive. It'll never be enough to mount a serious challenge over numerous games.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭17togo

Oh I know, I think he's a bit of a spoofer myself, just can see him being their next manager. He's more palatable than Davy though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Don't believe the natural, wristy hurlers codology, the best talent in Dublin GAA is funnelled into football at a young age, if the opposite was the case we might have lads moaning about the Dominance of Dublin Hurling in a thread on here. Dublin is a football county with hurling a distant second. The most Dublin can hope for is to be the best of rest chasing the top tier hurling counties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

There was some awful deluded guff written in the Match programme of the Dublin v KK match yesterday. One was trying to make an argument that Leinster Hurling is competitive and we are on the cusp of a 'new era'. Just because there were three different consecutive winners of the Leinster title in three years for the first time since 2014.

But everyone knows it will be KK or Galway winning nearly every year, and maybe Wexford at a push for the next decade at least. Dublin might make the odd final if they managed to get a nice draw. But would they be serious contenders to beat a top KK/Galway side?

Who is codding who about Leinster hurlings competitiveness?

KK have went on long runs of successive wins in the last two decades -

98-03 (6 in a row)

05-11 (7 in a row)

Only thing stopping a 14 in a row was a last gap fluke win by Wexford.

14-16 (3 in a a row)

-

The author seemed to pretend or delude himself that a couple of years counts as a 'new era'? Or was it just hope rather than expectation?

-

Honesty, would anyone be surprised if KK did another 6 or 7 in a row?

No one would bat an eyelid.

I had a glance at the KK forum and they were not happy with the way with KK played (one dimensional etc) and yet KK won comfortably pulling up in the last 10 mins or so. And this is supposed to be a 'poor' functional KK team. Yet they won Leinster while keeping Dublin at arms length for half of the game and not really having to 'up' it. Never having to go through the gears.

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,935 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I think given that Kilkenny have won a single Minor All Ireland in 11 years, no Under 20/21 title for 13 years, while Galway have won the last four All Ireland Minor titles people probably would be surprised if Kilkenny won 6/7 in a row.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Minor/U21 success does always not translate to Senior success. If anyone knows this it is ironically Galway. Who as they say over in the West used to win a 'rake' of underage titles and it took a long, long, time before it translated to any real senior level success.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

To be fair compared to the 2000s when there was no Galway, and Wexford, Offaly and Dublin were usually hammered in Leinster and also in the qualifiers by Munster opposition it is a new era. After all Kilkenny beat Wexford only after extra time and a Dublin team which was weakened before and after the start, and fell down during the game in its most basic aspects (rising the ball efficiently, scoring frees).

Those on the Kilkenny forum can see the team's limitations and they're not far wrong.

You have plenty of lads who go through brick walls. The crisper hurling was played by KK. Their scores came so much easier. You can throw all the money you want at it but it's not Gaelic football, very hard to manufacture hurling teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Relax brah

Danny Sutcliffe played a great game, he’s a fantastic leader on the pitch too.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭letsseehere14

Havnt seen a single pundit on radio, tv, paper or podcast go against us for today. We havnt hit the heights of last year at all this year, league or championship. Tipp are moving well enough from their point of view. A team littered with multiple all Ireland winners.

I have this bad feeling both teams are being judged on 2020 form when it is obvious for anyone that Tipp are going better than last year and we are not. Gillane is dropped, meaning a new free taker for us. That alone could decide this game, or even a sin bin or red card.

It could be a cracker, but if one team bring it and the other doesnt it could be ugly. If both teams show up, I think we will win. But we haven't truly shown up this year. That point alone is the niggle I have. Waiting for things to happen.

In many ways a close loss for Tipp hurts them less than any loss for us. We lose this, we have 4 quality teams eyeing up a big scalp in a QF. Tipp lose in a close match, they aim for an AI final with no more real scars than any other team in the competition bar Kilkenny.

Kilkenny are still hard to judge, great intensity but their path to the AI semi final has been through the teams id rank 8th and 9th. And on top of that Dublin losing O'Donnell and O'Callaghan.

Tipp to win today

• Advertisement

Really looking forward to this. Form will go out the window, it's hot, we'll have a few contentious reffing decisions.

Two top teams and all ireland contenders. What more could you ask for in high summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

Until Galway start winning more at u-20, then those minor wins don't count for a whole lot imo. Minor, with the change to u-17 is really a juvenile competition now. You could see the difference that year made in the recent minor final, which was u-18 (essentially) given it had been delayed so long. The players were more like men than boys. Galway's development after the minor grade has been atrocious imo. The point I'm making is, unlike kilkenny, Galway might appear strong with what's coming through. But they've proven time and again that winning minors means damn all wrt their senior team.

Kilkenny worked hard last night and were well the better team. Tj Reid seemed to be very quiet, by his high standards.

Today, I think if limerick are in the mood, they could win with a bit to spare over tipp. Tipp, like Galway, still have a lot of players 30 or older. No matter how good a hurler a guy is, father time catches up with you. If tipp get goals, they'll win. I don't believe they'll win just on points alone. Limerick by 4 imo.

Would quite a surprise if Limerick don't win and win well. Especially with a young team in that heat. I think it's correct that Limerick need a win more in the sense that a defeat would mean that teams are figuring them out. Tipperary have shown a good ability to regroup before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,118 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

In this heat the bench will be crucial and limericks bench is phenomenal. Should be a good game, both teams easily could meet again in Croker next month.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Just on the Wexford issue, is Davy overachieving with Wexford, or could a new manager bring them on further?? To be fair to Liam Dunne, he brought them on a good bit from 14-16, and then Davy brought them a notch further, but if Davy does depart the scene which I think he finally might call it a day down there, then who can bring them up a notch further? 2019 they were very unlucky not to beat us on the day and perhaps emptied the tank. They looked out on their feet after 55 minutes. That's been the pinnacle of the Davy era really and they haven't come near those heights in either 20 or 21 (granted 20 was a covid interrupted year and the championship was played mid-winter)

Who would they go for?? Derek?? Eddie Brennan??

To be fair, Limerick still beat Cork with a bit of ease in the end without hitting top gear which they dont need to really reach even today. I can't really see Tipp winning today but maybe the hard ground might suit us, and the carrot of another Munster medal will be a huge incentive. For Seamie Callanan it could be a 7th (08,09,11,12,15,16), whereas Paudie, Brendan, Noel, are going for number 6. Heart says yes, head says no.

Funny I kinda feel the same about Tipp in the heat but also have an opposite view. The big super conditioned Limerick players use a lot of oxygen, a wirier lighter build might stay the course better.

Tipp have their big physical players but would be lighter overall.

This heat will have a big impact on this game. Hard to know if the older Tipp lads can keep going at the pace required or whether the limerick running game could be an achilles heel on a day like today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

The new site update has really put people off posting here.

• Advertisement

Some pace I'm this game.

Ya the place is dead and its hard to think of an update that was such a backwards step. The new format is horrendous.

Limerick should have had a free in, instead of out. Poor decision from the referee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,738 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Thought Kyle hayes caught Dan McCormack's arm myself and pulled him down on top of himself

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭formerlyET

Tipp still not humming up front. 8 wides - some very poor.

Limerick have made too many basic mistakes. Also, this pace can't last until the end.

• Advertisement

Umpires like a pair of ornaments

Linesman another ornament and it in front of him

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Great to see a referee not falling for Limericks antics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Yeah I don't think they've been near as sharp as they can be. But they still look the most clinical with even a sniff of a goal.

Limerick's shooting has been abysmal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

paidi maher for a big man... can go down very easily when it suits him... he wasnt touched there by flanagan and down he goes

• Advertisement

Jaysus 2:16 would win a fair few matches

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Limerick will need to score 20pts plus in the second half to win. In this heat and against tipp in this form I dont think its possible. Forde could hit 10 himself and I see tipp getting at least 1 more goal.

Reminds me a little of limerick Kk from 2019. Huge onslaught incoming from limerick in the second half. Tipp can't keep that intensity up, Limericks much younger team should then take over.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Tipp worth their lead but does every ref have to give them soft frees and decisions?

Paidi Maher, after hurling an excellent half, does he's soccer routine for the last free.

Jason Forde, brilliant, as good a half as any hurler ever played.

See: GAA Forum policy on abuse

Formal warning to follow

Post edited by seligehgit on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,738 ✭✭✭giveitholly

He got hit were no man wants to get hit!!!!

If tipp had taken their chances they'd be out of sight.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

One admirable thing about Tipp is they go for goals. Limerick should do similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Jaysus there were no "soft" frees given in that half of hurling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

i actuallly think the opposite... dan morrisey wil be more secure than english.... tipp will not be able to keep up that standard of performance into second half.... no team could... limerick will tip away at that lead.... and if they get a goal they are in business... I feel that limerick improvved when morrisey and gillane arrived...

Your one on the RTE panel sounds like she's Gilbert Gottfried's sister.

• Advertisement
Advertisement