Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2021 General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Tilden Katz

Indeed. Even in the fantastic 1995 summer, I remember the day it hit 30°C somewhere being a big deal. I think it took until August. Not that anyone was complaining. Mid-to-high twenties pretty much every day with the odd cloudy, thundery day thrown in periodically was grrrrraaaand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Yes 30 degrees is a tough one to hit, it made 2018 very impressive because Shannon met station hit 32. I cant remember how many locations hit 30 in Ireland that day but I just remember the 32 at shannon.

Another picture perfect morning here in Dublin. This is moving up towards an 8.5/10 summer overall in Dublin factoring in the very pleasant and dry June, one poor enough week in earlier July and now this superb run of weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭appledrop

Donegal Storm at last the good weather came your way!

9 years living in this house and last night was 1st night ever that had to sleep with windows open and only a sheet.

Even 2018 wasn't this warm at night anyway.

I'm not complaining just like been on holiday, just wish the neighbour wasn't such a morning lark, off for a drive in their car at 6.00am so woke me up but fair play probably going for an early morning swim.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Not the best photo as zoomed in shot but some isolated altocumulus virga (looking SW) earlier this morning.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Boy oh boy it was a hot one yesterday and it’s going to be a hot one today….21 degrees already when I got up at 9.30!

• Advertisement

Oak park already 24 at 10am, good number of locations like mount Dillon, Phoenix park and Gurteen at 22

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

We'll "officially" break 30 today I reckon.

*double post*

• Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Will we get 30.1 today ? Certainly off to a good start. Love this weather. Mayo co co gritter is out putting chippings down on melted tar. Some country lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Less than 20km from Oak Park (reading 24.3c) and can see why its the hottest station right now - getting hot as balls here already. Local WOWs here in S.Kildare are already through the roof at 26.8 & 27.7c.

Barrow valley for the official 30 degrees today at Oak Park?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,868 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I hope the temps carry on in to next week. Heading home from the Middle East for a couple of weeks and it'd be nice to be outside for quaratine. 24 is what I set my air con at!

Oak park could hit 30 today, already at 25 at 11am. Athenry and mount Dillon also at 24, casement and Phoenix park 23. Shannon at 22 but it tends to pick up continuously throughout the day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Yep yesterday was the first proper summers day we've had, back to dull grey skies again today though 😔

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭glightning

The 31.2c in NI yesterday is legit I think. I live in southern Co.Antrim (Ballinderry) and yesterday truely was a roaster. It was at least 29c quite widely across the SE and my nearby weather station that is well set up read a max of 29.9c and Ballywatticock / Killowen are a further 30 miles east of me. It felt truely continental yesterday and everyone commented on the uniquely hot feeling of the day.

Ballywatticock and Killowen are both in the SE quadrant of the provence. Killowen was reading the same temp as the previous record 30.8c yesterday afternoon before being beaten by Ballywatticock. So more than one met office recording station recorded 30c+ yesterday in the E / SE.

There was very little wind yesterday and it was coming from the NW, so it had a maximum land track across the provence to those locations. The fact they are located in coastal areas didn't matter yesterday I think, as the wind would have been offshore rather than onshore.

There is a write up about the conditions here :-

Hottest NI day ever as temperatures soar above 30C - BBC News

Yeah it's a fine line between the haves and have nots in the northwest in these scenarios. Your best hope is some of it burns off through the afternoon. There is a weak frontal zone just off shore. Scotland not great either with highs around 15 to 20c max. The same zone will see cooler air in to Eastern Britain tomorrow as well.

It will be another fine hot day over here though. Better chance of sunshine breaking through later tomorrow in Donegal.

Personally (and I know this will not be the case for everyone on the island as we've all had regional variances) I think this summer has over delivered so far compared with the very cold spring and climate models predicting a rather unsettled and cool summer. That has certainly not been the case here in the eastern side of NI.

I took a look back through temp records for June and July and there has been 13 days in July with a max above 20c (what I consider a decent / good summer's day) and five above 23c (three above 25c) so far. It has only rained on two occasions this month. And not much either.

And of course we still have a hot week to come which will make July a pretty good summer month around here in my books.

In June we had 15 days above 20c with three of those days above 23c (23 to 24c) and it rained on just six occasions.

The grass around here is burnt to a crisp in lots of places. So definitely a far better summer around here than I feared we would have this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Billcarson

No one said they didn't like nice weather. Whats wrong with temperatures in the low 20s?

Whats the mid to high 20s needed for unless your off to the beach?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

The site at Ballywatticock looks a bit sheltered , certainly a sun trap, would be interesting to see if it is known for getting higher temperatures than neighboring stations but it depends how open or sheltered they are also I suppose.

27 at athenry and oak park at 1pm. Definite chance of a 30 today.

Feels strange to say just the 24 in Dublin so far. Beautiful so far out there, sunny and uninterrupted blue skies. Mid 20s is bliss for me

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I admit I was a bit harsh on June at times, it was a good month. I just didn't find it to be the beauty of a month that many Dubliners shared the opinion of because sunshine was a little above average in which I was spoiled by June 2018 for and it's what I prioritise most when rating a month followed by temperature then rainfall. Thankful we got a great second half of June though especially compared to southeast England and even the Low Countries where it was dreadful. Think it was Brussels where they had a record breaking dull 10-day period from 21-30 June with only 9 hrs of sunshine throughout. The first 2 weeks of July or at least week and a half were poor to very poor but did have some ok days scattered in that seemed nicer than any day same time last year. Then this spell arrived and blew me away better than I could have imagined.

As of this point, it's definitely a better than 'normal' Irish summer in Dublin with lots of usable weather and many fine days. No doubt about that. Can't wait for the usual Autumngust deterioration.

EDIT: 🤪

• Advertisement

Slightly warmer at this point of the day than yesterday in the coastal zone here near Arklow at 23c

Sea breeze has died but within 2 or 3kms of the coast you'll still have some marine layer permeate

Expecting 24.5 ish here given the lack of sea power

31 at Oakpark is possible

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭esposito

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

ME now mentioning 30C in their forecast for this afternoon. I wonder which station(s) will nab it?

Athenry or Oak Park would be my bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Would you believe I was at that very concert myself and yes it was an unreal hot summers evening in Dublin. I felt like I had flown to Barcelona for the evening. Great gig and atmosphere!

Nice find. Yeah, as you mentioned the weather station isn't located in a fully open area like the way an airport would be.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Very interesting post! I have always wondered has 30C ever been achieved in modern times in the Dunsany/Dunshaughlin area and delighted to see it has happened once.

Getting back to the current spell this spell really has developed into something special. Overall I think this week will be hotter in some places than 2018, 2013 and even 1995.

The funny thing is this months July forecast competition. Danno put in a temperature of 33.1C and I've a feeling we could get very close to that somewhere this week. I think Wednesday could be the day records will get broken in certain parts of Ireland once again. I don't think we will see 33C, but a 32C somewhere on this Island could happen on Wednesday. As for Dunsany I reckon 30.0c could be achievable on Wednesday if the winds go offshore and sunshine is unbroken.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Tilden Katz

What are the Dublin water spots like, traffic-wise today? Yesterday, the city seemed eerily quiet for such a hot day. Same today or will we spend ages looking for parking? I can’t walk far, mobility issues. We were thinking of heading inland. You might not even be driving for as long to dip your toes. Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Oak park 28 degrees at 2pm

Advertisement