Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No quitten we're whelan on to chitchat 11

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Lost a good nearly weaned (on oad) WHx heifer calf due to CCN (Cerebrocortical necrosis) last week and I never heard/come across it before. At first I thought she might have diphtheria cause she wouldn't suck the teat feeder but her mouth/tongue was clean and there wasn't a smell. She showed meningitis type symptoms the next day and we phoned our Vet. She along with her comrades had access to hay and barley straw and was getting calf nuts twice a day.

I've just had a look through the search option on this new site for "ccn in calves" and all it shows are the threads with the word "calves". I really hope the search option improves as there are an awful lot of helpful posts that maybe lost in the ether.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,569 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Tidying under an electric fence earlier.

We used to spray under fences and it was a great job, one run in spring and fences were right for the year

But we’re trying to spray little as possible. 30 minutes with small hedge cutter and my back was aching.

Sometimes it’s hard to do the right thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭DBK1

I got my hedge cutter man in earlier in the week and got him to do one run with the head out flat facing the ground around any hedge that has electric wire. I never saw a year for such growth in grass and nettles etc from the hedges.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

There is a star 🌟 to the right of the thread heading, I think that activates it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,158 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I got a bad outbreak of it years ago, calves were out on newly sown grass, Vet told us to change them to older weedier pastures and it stopped. occuring , but if I didn't cop them in the early stages I couldn't save them.

Them running blind through the electric fences was aright pain, Land was ten years plus in tillage so minerals might have been lacking. brain turns to jelly due to some vit b deficiency

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭orm0nd

B1 I think, most good calf rations now include it in the mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Some morning here. Had a large group of scramblers and bikers come through our land via a bog road. Fair noise. Called guards- wanted to do nothing until more arrived. I spoke to them and they were apologetic, claimed the satnav sent them down the road through gates and electric wire. But when I went to check gates and everything, a cow was going nuts. She couldn’t find her 5 month old heifer.

I eventually found her in a bog hole with just her head and tail up. Took some effort to get her out. Thanks god for the hay knife. Just bought a lock and a load of signs. Fit for nothing now.

Some sight to see, you were lucky you found her in time.

Pure luck really. The cow was about a km away looking as the rest of the cattle had gone there. I was just heading home for the tractor to cover the ground quicker as I’ve the young lads for the evening and I said I’d do those few acres by foot first, there was a tiny bit of pawing on the ground and there she was. She couldn’t budge.

It's not a day to be out in that heat searching. We lost a yearling heifer the last hot spell. I gave the day searching for her from 7am, but headed in the wrong direction. Could see where she broke through an el fence, dew tracks on a neighbour's lawn. Found her the following day in a collapsed state, about a mile and half away from her companions . Don't know whether she was chased by dogs or what happened.

• Advertisement

Was there no talk of reparations for the damage caused. Did the guards record their names etc ??

if they did I’d be chasing them for some compensation for few spools of wire of nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Kids have a few bucket fed calves

Notice some soft manure on the ground this morning but all eating

They were worm dosed about 3 weeks ago

Is there something to be concerned about

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Consider coccidiosis. Are any holding their tails slightly up?

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭White Clover

What kind of grass are they on? Anytime in the past that i had them on very leafy grass I ran into bother with them. I reckon stronger stemier grass and keep the meal into them seemed to keep them right.

Mighty hot out there folks.

don’t forget the sunscreen and wear a hat if ya can.

knocking in a few posts earlier and it was draining.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭straight

I don't like this scorching, burning, uncomfortable weather. Feel like I'm the only one when I hear all the drama and excitement on the radio and TV.

Anything over 20c is a waste.

grand for townies, but for anyone trying to work it’s uncomfortable

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

I can never understand how people spend a fortnight on beaches in the Mediterranean etc. As above, anything over 20° is a killer. Just in for a bite here now. Was pulling out old elec fences getting ready for ploughing and the sweat dripping off me nose. I'll find an indoor job for a few hours I think.

Currently sheltering behind 2 ibc tanks wishing I'd bought a bigger f'n water pump!

I put on the sunscreen, went out herding around 11am. One black cow standing on her own in full sun, trying to move her to shade, I was absolutely blinded with sunscreen run off into my eyes.

• Advertisement

Reminds me of my Dad, when he'd put sunscreen on his forehead twas like a lad that'd be plastering!

I use the alcohol based one. No oily ness and doesn’t stain clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

They’re on old pasture

Looks like possibly crypto from bird droppings on the trough from left over nuts.

Giving them powder for dehydration

Went to the very dark caves today and the Bird of prey centre, polabrone dolmen- bloody scorched.

hit a rock near kilnaboy and had a bl

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

owjob? owout? :)

Not your ornery onager

Post edited by _Brian on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I suppose the difference is that you are on holidays and have a different mindset - no cattle or livestock to look after. It's different when we're at home and we have to work in really warm weather. We were doing a bit of fencing earlier and I quit at about twelve o'clock as it got way to warm. Having said that I wouldn't mind if someone handed me a daiquiri and some tapas now 🙂

Blowout…. Not many of the other things off rocks in north Clare. 😅

• Advertisement

We were cycling the canal towpath outside Newry today.

Three of us, one section is shared with local traffic, just people accessing their homes, always slow and safe drivers.

Three Lycra clad men in their 50’s on road bikes passed us and all friendly hellos.

Immediately a car came up behind us, we were single file and plenty of space for the car to pass safely amd everyone was able to go on our way with no bother

The three “professional” cyclists wouldn’t yield. They stayed three abreast and kept the car back for maybe 300m until the car came to a laybye and got passed.

I was disgusted at them. Feckin expensive bikes and all the gear, but not an ounce of manners or respect for other road users. No wonder cyclists are so unpopular on the road.

Advertisement