Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

First Car for Long Learner Permit

• 18-07-2021 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi All,

Got my first provisional at 17 in 2007, moved to Dublin for college and driving never became a priority. Kept the licence updated just in case.

31 now and learning properly, have 6 hours of lessons done. Need the practice so want to buy a car, but recently couldn't get insured on Mother in Law's car because I've had my learner permit over 5 years.

Considering that an insurance company will have to insure me (denied insurance etc.), what kind of car is safest to go for? Was thinking a 2015/2016 VW Polo or Up. 1.2 max.

I'm going to be paying 5k for insurance at 31, aren't I?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,600 ✭✭✭User1998

Obviously I’m not aware of your driver skills but do you really need your own car to practice in? It would be better to just do your lessons, do some pre tests and use your driver instructors car for the test and then get your own car when you have your full license

Volkswagen Up, Seat Mii, Skoda Citigo, Citreon C1, Nissan Micra are all Group 1 insurance, Volkswagen Polo would be in a higher group.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 ElectroSpex

Instructor says I'm competent but need to practice with someone outside of just lessons. Instructor on holidays now for a month and he wants me to practice.

Love driving and want to pass my test as soon as I can but very difficult with gaps between lessons.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclette

My daughter is learning in my Toyota Aygo and loves it. Its a 998cc engine but sounds like a Ferrari on the inside. Its small, comfortable and has plenty of room for my daughter who is 5'9".

The car is economical on petrol and nice and neat. Insurance for three of us on the car - hubby and myself, both long qualified drivers, and our daughter who is an "L" driver is €994 or thereabouts.

Thanks! I'm learning in a Yaris but hadn't considered the Aygo. My MIL got a quote for €500 with her as main driver and me as named (we'll keep the car at her house) but not sure if it's possible as don't want to be considered to be fronting etc. Will have to go for me as main and maybe add her as named to see if that'll get it down a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭FrankC21

Just get a banger old ford fiesta 1.2 petrol 2008 above or toyota yaris, micra, honda jazz and practice that's what I did, don't need to buy a 2015 model just to get it scratch or put a dent on it.

The tester will definitely look at how confident you are on handling the car, the way you shift gears, steer, biting point and all. If it's your own car you have been practicing on, higher chance you will be confident.

I failed twice two of those test I drove someone else's car, I passed when I bought me own and did the test on it.

• Advertisement

I always found that driving my own car I’d be more relaxed and pick up bad habits, one hand on wheels etc.

I always found driving the instructors car much better in terms of doing things by the book

I understand, but my instructor is off now for a month, so another month of waiting to progress after a year of waiting etc. Going to take me much longer to get competent when I drive once a week (or every two weeks) vs. driving myself. Still planning on supplementing with lessons to avoid picking up bad habits from mother-in-law or myself.

Will speak to insurance brokers tomorrow and see if there's any point in me even trying to get insured.

A friend of mine who is 30 had his learner license for a good few years but wasn’t driving, he got insured on a 1.2 polo no problem, I think it was around €2k

Thanks! Going to look at a VW Up and some Polos at the weekend. Bit concerned about the Up's ASG gearbox so may have to stretch for a Polo.

Advertisement