Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

MG5 excite?

• 18-07-2021 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I drive a 06 VW 1.9 diesel golf with about 350k mileage. I'm mostly driving on the motorway.

My partner is pregnant so I'm making frequent trips with herself to the hospital and also my mother for cancer treatments so need something reliable.

I'm considering replacing the golf with an EV but the high cost of anything with decent range seems prohibitive.

However, range at about 200 miles at price of €28k seems pretty good for MG5 Excite. I know MG is now a Chinese brand but I understand EV are more developer I'm China and everything typically comes from China.

Anybody any experience with this EV?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,179 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Are you planning on paying cash or financing it?

Is that 28k after the grants ?

if so then you are looking at the same price as an ID3 or close to an ID4. If you shop around you’ll could get 3k scrapppage for your own car off an ID, not sure if the MG dealer would do that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭lightspeed

I'm seeing ID3 at 36k and ID4 starting at 39k.i think there also €1500 for delivery charges.

It says cars over 5 years or over 120,000 miles don't qualify for vw used dealership programme but not sure if that relates to trade in discount. I could not see anything about trade in discount on their website?

ID3 has 58kw battery but is a smaller car at 8k more than MG5 excite with 50kw battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I watched a few reviews of it and the SUV looking MG EV. And they are all very impressed with the build quality at the price point.

They all kept saying "it's fine". So it won't set the world on fire. But if you need a big wagon and are not hung up on fancy gadgets then it seems to be a great car.

7 year warranty for car and battery that transfers to the next owner is decent too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭silver_sky

There's a facelift verison with a slightly bigger battery coming later in the year. The charging speeds have been bumped up also with 11kW on AC (from 7kW) and 100kW on DC (from 50kW). The higher DC charging will be better longterm as ESB add more high power charge points, and I think EasyGo are going to be adding 75kW DC chargers also.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/electric-cars/352856/new-2021-mg-5-ev-facelift-steps-249-miles-range

• Registered Users Posts: 33,367 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Much better looking, the uglyness of that was my main gripe. But I'd love an estate EV with reasonable range.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭silver_sky

I agree. I think the current one is OK although quite dated looking. If I was in the market for one of these I'd be registering interest with a dealer for the refresh version.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭godzilla1989

61kWh is out now for under €30,000 with 100kW charging

(MG5 EV LR (Solid) Excite Sport Electric 61.1 kWh, 100kW DC, 156 PS €29,6452)

Drove the older 50kWh model at the weekend and it's a class car for the price, was decent inside it, loads of room, quick too for a big machine.

I am going to for it I think as they are pretty accommodating at the dealers

I found VW very tough to deal with, tried to get me onto 5.9% PCP when 4.9% was the offer and wouldn't even include maths, margin must be very low on the ID3's or something

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I was out viewing these last week with the Father in Law. He is swapping into an EV as a taxi. He can hop into one of these newer 61 kwh versions for €10,500 on the road. That's with all the SPSV requirements etc

Delivery for October if he orders now.

Most of the first bath are sold already, One SPSV firm have 11 out of the 20 coming to one garage alone!

Its a very good incentive for any SPSV Driver currently.

He is going for a 64kwh eNiro though. More expensive at €16,400 on the road but a better piece of car all round in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭KCross

He is going for a 64kwh eNiro though. More expensive at €16,400 on the road but a better piece of car all round in my opinion.

that’s unbelievable value. What new diesel car would you buy as a taxi for that money!

any taxi owner buying a diesel would want their head examined. The savings would be massive on fuel in an EV.

we need a few taxi drivers on this forum to detail their experience of the whole process and savings etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭godzilla1989

I’d buy a Niro too if it was that price

But for non taxi it’s a €10,000 difference

For €40,000 id want something better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

Know somebody waiting on one as a taxi. He plans to sell it after a few years and get a PHEV, my money says he'll never go back to ICE. Saw three eNiro taxis the other day. Great to see the grants working.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

€20k in the difference.

I can walk in and buy one from the showroom for €36,488.

SPSV get €10k incentive, then a further 10k for scrapping an older car that’s within 3 years of its max age.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭cannco253

Saw one (MG) in Galway city today as a taxi.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭pdpmur

A video including an inspection of the underside of a one year old UK MG ZS gives food for thought!

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭corkonion

Different car completely, I wouldn't worry about a rusty EXHAUST on an electric car!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭k123456

I think the chassis has the rust issue, ..From what I have read on another forum, rust not covered by warranty .

Advertisement