Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

United Ireland Poll - please vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66,781 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

How does that comparison work? There will be 6 new counties, two sizeable cities and hinterlands etc etc.

Knock yourself out comparing there still won't be a bill. Just the cost of running a new and different country.

Do you think the government proposing a Ui will be presenting a 'bill'?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭jh79

So you are going with the Pol Pot / Year Zero nonsense again🤣

Per capita metrics allow a direct comparisons between the Republic and the New Ireland. Even easier from the Republic perspective with no change in currency.

Based on the work of Doyle and Fitzgerald a 10% tax increase would be needed to cover just the subvention and welfare increases.

Are you seriously saying that if the standard rate of tax increases by 10% that it isn't costing us money🤣

Call it an investment if you like but 6 million people would see a significant drop in their take home pay due to Unification.

Good luck telling them it's all an illusion! They'll not be worse off in the New Ireland.

Hilarious too that we can compare the before and after for benefits a la Hubner but for the cost! Oh no, not possible, no metrics exist that can be directly compared🤣🤣🤣

Economic data from Germany can be used to predict benefits but we can't compare income tax rates or GNI, GDP per capita between the Republic and the New Ireland 🤣

Francie, now wouldn't be familiar with the majority of these but seeing as it's your claim you must be.

Which of these metrics no longer apply in your New Ireland and why?

Again putting words in my mouth in order to find an argument to make.

Countries cost money to run jh79...so what?

The proposing government will not be presenting partitionists with a 'bill'. They will be promoting what we get for our investment.

I offer you good luck in countering that, partitionists will have to up the negativity to the nth degree in order to make inroads.

An that investment will require cold hard cash that will more than likely come from direct taxation or cuts in services meaning it costs for everyone.

Fair enough , you are happy to pay but you being happy to pay for it doesn't change the fact that it will cost you too.

Also, obviously there won't be a bill. Instead we'll be told what are deficit will be and the cost will be tax increases and cuts to services that the new fiscal space will require to be considered a functioning economy.

If my taxes go up it's a cost. If capacity in hospitals needs to be reduced, it's a cost. If increment s are frozen it's a cost.

Good look selling upwards of 10% tax increases as an investment with the Hubner report 🤣

• Advertisement

The 10% is just the latest scaremongering, now that the subvention one has been neutered.

The plan/proposal will be a positive one focussing on the benefits of a UI and with committed support from a range of organisations and business.

I genuinely think your biggest hurdle will be sounding positive about halting progress. It's why no political grouping here wants to touch an anti-UI lobby.

To be fair Francie all the parties have done feck all since the GFA.

Given that the ESRI have already presented data on the cost to the dail i have nothing to worry about.

Also we have the poll that shows people are considering the cost of this "investment".

All good from my perspective.

Could you explain why you think a figure of 10% is scaremongering?

You recommended Doyle to me and he claims 2.5bn equates to 5%.

Seems logical that 3bn for social welfare would require a similar tax increase.

You 'have nothing to be worried about'???

Could have fooled a lot of the contributors to these threads I guess. 😉

I've often called you an insecure Republican. You have so little confidence in a UI you try to stifle debate on the costs at every opportunity.

So desperate, that you went with secret mysterious plans that can only be revealed in the event of a border poll, and a Pol Pot inspired year zero approach. Only a matter of time before you claim it's not a failed state after all🤣

Post edited by jh79 on

• Advertisement

On i forgot the classic it won't cost anything because the Republic won't subsume NI🤣

A touch of the paranoia now. Talk away all you want about the 'costs' in your non-worried way. 😎

I intend to. Can't wait for Fitzgerald's paper to be published. Looking forward to you claiming that his predictions are an illusion too.

Are you looking forward to his paper? Given it's a great investment and all that 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Am I going mad - the results of this poll were nothing remotely like they are now when I last looked in shortly before the site was 'improved'?

Words in my mouth again.

I didn't 'recommend' anybody. I posted a link to his work and have also posted the Fitzgerald and Hubner papers.

Calm the horses.

Now, again, read slowly.

Those proposing a UI will not be concentrating on 'bills' or 'costs'. Partitionists will have to focus on that and make it as scary as they can. It's a simple point and shouldn't take up too much of your time understanding it, even if you disagree with it.

You said Doyle would shake up the debate on the subvention and that i should follow him on Twitter. I did a d the first post i found was him saying the subvention was irrelevant to the debate on unity 🤣.Never heard of the guy until you recommended him.

Is Doyle scaremongering by saying we would need a 5% tax increase to cover NI deficit?

Is Fitzgerald's claim of 3bn for welfare scaremongering?

Obviously Francie to back up a claim of scaremongering you'll need alternative figures to show some exaggeration or bias and that the figures are not a fair reflection of the data.

You asked for more detail on what he wrote and I told you he was posting on twitter and you should follow him.

You are scaremongering by focusing on as high a cost as you can and nothing else WHICH IS NOT how the proposers will be doing it....jesus, how many times must I say it?

Ok Francie is the tone of this acceptable to you ?

Based on current data an investment in a UI may require a tax increase of upwards of 10% (or equivalent cuts to services or stealth taxes) to cover specifically the deficit of NI and harmonization of welfare rates. Predictions on the investment required via tax increases or a suitable alternative are not available yet for harmonization of public service pay.

And if a pro UI government were writing that the focus would be on the stuff you left out in order to make it as scary as you could = scaremongering.

The 'focus' will very much be on what we get out of it. Which is why the polling will change. And which is why you will have to keep butting in with the scary stuff. Which is why no political party wants to touch proposing the continuation of partition.

• Advertisement

Fair enough. As you know I'm familiar with the Hubner report and the 35bn over 8 years. Even though there is a major flaw with that figure for an easy life I'll run with that.

So apart from the Hubner what other benefits?

SSM and reproductive rights would improve for those in NI i think.

Peace Walls? Can't see that changing in even the medium term.

End of segregation in education in NI?

What benefits do you see? I don't intend challenging any point you make just want a simple and honest answer that isn't too vague to understand why you are willing to invest what is likely to be upwards of 10% of your take home pay on.

Fitzgerald's metric was productivity...what do you think a proposing pro UI government would be saying the benefits of merging two problematic PS's would be? Doesn't take a great stretch to work it out yourself.

Use the same formula right across problem areas then add on all the novel benefits a whole island would bring to non problem areas. Add on the absence of Britain in our affairs as we develop a forward looking EU-centric economy and society,

I know I said I wouldn't challenge you but I would like to ask a few further questions on your reply. Are you ok with that?

I'm not a bit worried whether you challenge me or not. What you need to realise is I am not wasting my time trying to convince the inconvincible

I would definitely see an overhaul of the PS as a benefit and it would influence my vote.

Do you think you can take on the unions and win a border poll? That's a significant cohort of voters.

By the way the benefits of having a whole island approach to delivering services is part of Doyle's paper at least. I think Fitzgerald's too but I'm not 100% on that .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,622 ✭✭✭eire4

Simply my opinion that Scottish independence just furthers the momentum towards Irish reunification.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I have not read the analysis yet on costings but do they take account of possible increase in eu funding , since I assume we will have lower gdp per Capita and potential extra funding for the unique nature of re unification? I imagine the Germans would be supportive of such a project politically. Also I have no idea of the arrangements for unionists who choose to remain in Britain, will they be offered transfers within their civil service? And the pensions, would a UI legally have to honor them? It's seems fairly messy, I don't know how we get accurate predictions but maybe they have ironed this all out, I haven't put in the time yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

The North seriously under-performs compared to the south, Belfast can quickly catch up with the rest of the country, Derry will probably need investment (University, infrastructure, etc) as it has been stifled for generations by Unionism, the spiteful sectarian aspect of unionism would be neutered in a united Ireland. Regardless the bean-counters and SF-hating neurotics might be able to slow a United Ireland down but they won't stop it, no chance.

To be honest none of the parties have done anything on this and there are only a handful of papers on the costs and benefits.

With regards pension , that's covered by the subvention. Entirely up to the British on pensions with no legal obligations. Best case scenario is 2.5bn with the British agreeing to every demand, worst case is 8bn. Tax increases of 5 -8 % would be needed just for that part.

The subvention part is seen as irrelevant to the debate as it's contribution to the overall cost is small.

The big money is whether we increase pay to match the Republic and what numbers are retained. SF have already said they wouldn't support redundancies. I'd imagine they would need to look at the roles and see what the equivalent is paid in the Republic.

Welfare is estimated to cost 3bn. Probably easier to estimate. So that's a best case scenario of 10% tax increases already.

I'm sure the Germans will be supportive. They paid a unity tax up until a couple of years ago though so wouldn't be surprised if they suggested a ring fenced unity tax too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Much easier to talk in an echo chamber and ignore the harder and pointer questions, ain't it?

Are you still in the Camp extolling the virtues of a Brexit-like vote for a UI? 😝

Advertisement