Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ROLL IT BACK

• 18-07-2021 6:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,696 ✭✭✭✭

As the title says, and as a lot of posters are starting to say, roll it back.

we have no interest in this new site. It’s horrible. It’s so difficult to navigate, everything is so difficult. Apart from navigating, the worst for me is the new white look, the no “my threads” option, and the activity section…..I mean come on, this isn’t Facebook, I don’t give 2 shjtes if somebody changes their profile picture or has been promoted to level 1B. What a waste.

can you please swallow your pride and bring back the old format. Make it a little sexier if you wish, but only a little.

Post edited by Spear on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

I see forums seem to have only one page of threads ?

Is there a way to see older threads or do I need to google them in the domain boards.ie to get them ?

And what about user post history ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭davetherave

To see what was "My Threads", just click on your profile picture in the top right and go to bookmarks if you are on desktop, or on the mobile site click on your picture and then click on the star. It's two clicks, if you were anywhere other than the old homepage you'd have to do two clicks as well, one to get to the homepage, and then one on the My Threads tab.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,714 ✭✭✭dmc17

It's shocking bad. There's no structure to it, obviously wasn't tested at all and it's as slow as a wet week

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

It's dogshit wrapped in catshit.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

It’s absolutely horrific. It’s like they tried to make the worst product possible when they created the mobile site. Sticky threads, charters and regular threads just melt into one big wall of text with no distinguishing features. Where are my followed forums gone? Are there any stats on site traffic since going live with this? I’ve noticed in some of the forums that are usually very busy, there are hardly any posts.

• Advertisement

No, you’re the ones who are wrong. Something something volunteers, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,577 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

And this is the truth unfortunately. We'll be told that they're working on the issues, to be patient, things are improving etc - but at no point will they hold their hands up and admit they got this wrong, and they CERTAINLY won't roll back to the previous version of the site.

This mess is here to stay, and with only one Dev, one volunteer, and no mention of Vanilla in Odhran's update the other day, it'll be months before we're back to even where we were 2 weeks ago (if at all!)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

It's a complete travesty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭tinpib

Yep, it's pretty much unusable. I'd say their traffic stats makes for shocking reading right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Piehead

either roll it back or lose ad revenue. It’s very simple….

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

All I want are a few easy features:

1. Page numbers at the top as well as the bottom
    2. To be able to see the number of replies to a thread before opening it
    3. To be able to see the name of the last poster and the time they posted without going into the thread
    4. Some way of distinguishing the stickied threads from regular threads.
    5. Coke and hookers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

not actually seen an add on the site since the make over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

It's not difficult to navigate. https://boards.ie/categories

Take it from the top, scroll down the page, opening the forums you want to participate in in a new tab. Then work away.

Or else cntl+f to find your forums. How many big forums are there .. After Hours, Current Affairs, maybe one or two others. It is not an ordeal to find on the page linked above

All the forums are right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭beachhead

ROLL IT BACK,PLEASE.At least I can sign in without being told I don't exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

I've no idea about the complexity of rolling it back, so I'm not saying do that, but I will say that this is now a terrible site. It's pretty slow for me, very hard to see whats going on, and really seems to be all downside as I've yet to see one user focused improvement.

If this were the finished version, and I'm sure it's not, then it would be game over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Mad that number 5 is the most likely of those options!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭dnme

Finding this new version hard to navigate. Also my old threads no longer show their attached images. I genuinely think, for the effort, the outages and now the result, the project has not been worth it. The old vBulletin system just worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

It’s not just a few features that are an issue, it’s a total ball of shite. My go to forums I can find nothing. Can’t read or browse easily. Categories are a mess with repeats etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

I’m done with boards if it’s staying this way, roll it back. Reddit here I come.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Two other points,

If you post on a new thread you are not automatically following the thread, you must click on the star (follow?) to actually follow the thread.

Can't see who has thanked posts or even if you have thanked it.

Much preferred the previous ways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84,341 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 80,798 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

It's worse than when Coca Cola changed the fomula.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

What does the message I have saying I've been promoted "level 3" mean? What are the different levels?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

Agreed with previous poster: I'm done with boards if it stays like this. It looks absolute shite. The old site was an glowing example to other forum websites worldwide: easy to navigate and user friendly. This is just ghastly.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,355 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

Tis very isolating as well. I miss the community presence, truly. :(

It certainly is a crap result. The work in progress excuses just don’t cut it. Roll it back and go back to the drawing board. It hasn’t worked and whoever’s trying to stick to their guns with Vanilla on this one needs to be told to step aside now.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,124 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

There's no going back

I have seen a lot of improvements since it has gone live so if you want to fix the site, then constructive input will help. Rolling back is never going to happen. The site was migrated for a reason

I am very impressed that they spent so much effort to replicate the old look and feel on the desktop version. Mobile is not there or even close to there yet, but I think they will get there

The few days that Boards were down made me realise that, for all its flaws, it does provide something really valuable that is not available elsewhere on the vast internet.

It will get better.Let the devs work on it and we'll either adapt, or the site will be updated

"No categories were found." on mobile, an error on desktop. What am I missing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

There's an alternative forum launched today for those who don't fancy moving to Reddit: https://****/

Advertisement