Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2021 General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Tilden Katz

Stepped out on my balcony there - nearest weather station is Phoenix Park - and, dare I say it, with the breeze, it’s feeling a bit chilly willy in the shade with the sun dipped below the buildings. I’m sure if I was standing in the direct sunshine, it would be feeling a good deal warmer but it’s just amusing to note after yesterday’s scorchio conditions. 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Certainly no relief in West Clare, 29.2°c max yesterday and 28.1°c max today. Still over 24°c.

I've been busy lately so was a bit taken aback by this heatwave, I didn't realise the intensity of what was to come. While I love hot climates, I'm finding it difficult to acclimatize..... maybe it's the lack of sun holidays due to COVID?

Few more days of it to come so I reckon I'll be used to it come Friday!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Today started very warm in Dunshaughlin. Highest temperatures were between 11am and 2pm with a max of 26C. The sea breeze kicked in and temperatures have been sliding away ever since, currently 21C. This time yesterday it was still 27C. Tomorrow could be a degree or two cooler than today generally so low to mid twenties through much of Leinster and Ulster and parts of Connaught. Highest temperatures tomorrow will be in the southern third of the country with mid to high twenties there.

The heat will really build again from Tuesday with Wednesday and Thursday looking very warm to hot nationwide with 30C or slightly higher in a quite a few places.

The breakdown from Friday is starting to look like a bit of a bust at this stage. It will become cooler over the weekend with temperatures generally low to mid twenties but there are already signs that we could be back into the mid to high twenties by the following week. We may have to wait till August before we see temperatures back in the high teens but that's long way off. This hot spell is still writing it's own story and at the moments the heat just keeps getting prolonged day by day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Still 28c in Shannon at 20:00 :O

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I'm suspicious about your positivity. What have you done with Gonzo?

Mods!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,026 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Very grateful for the sea breeze which has crept in to greater Dublin this afternoon and evening. The weather stations are back to 18/19 and the air is moving through the house.

Was down in Tipperary on Saturday and it was a merciless heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭esposito

Obviously I would love the Irish temperature record to be broken on Wednesday/Thursday but I think it will be a bit like the England Italy Euro final last week, it will come close but we will probably just miss out on breaking the record. Really looking forward to the week ahead. Hope to go for a swim in the sea after work during the week. (Wish I took my hols this week)

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭barneyrub

Actually quite cool here in the NW from about 5 ish. Sat out the last two nights until quite late but at 7 this evening I was going in or I'd have to get a jumper on!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

To break the Irish all time heat record would require something extra special. I think this spell has taken everyone by surprise just how warm it and prolonged it has become because none of this heat is coming from the continent, it's coming from the Atlantic due to the Azores high. The longer it sits around the more the heat builds but Ireland definitely has it's temperature level ceiling due to poor heat related geography.

At the moment the real high uppers are being kept at bay over the med due to the low pressures that have dominated much of France and Germany/Central Europe in recent weeks.

The only way I could see 33C or higher here is if we continue on the current path of hot weather until Friday and then a warm period of instability over the weekend followed by a reload of heat next week. The azores sitting over us next week wouldn't be enough, after 10 days of very warm to hot conditions we would need extra support in the form of a very intense heat plume up from Spain or Africa with +18 to +20 uppers. If that happened and Ireland got a direct hit after 10 days of hot weather then I could see 33.0C or higher being reached, but one can only dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭appledrop

Sitting beside the window here delighted with the nice cool breeze blowing in North County Dublin.

I'm enjoying the heatwave but even better when it's cool at night so I can sleep.

There were tears tonight when we had to put away the paddling pool, but he had a ball all day in it keeping cool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Literally sitting in a paddling pool with a glass of wine reading this. Don’t ever recall reading a weather forum post in the pool before. This is a special warm spell we’re going through. Loving it!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

26 degrees at Gurteen at 9pm

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭moeblogs

Stunning in Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,107 ✭✭✭mikeecho

• Registered Users Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

It’s 17 degrees in Cork City - feel like it’s slightly less warm than last night….

• Registered Users Posts: 48,212 ✭✭✭✭km79

Basically a perfect summers day in South Mayo

Really hot but cooled down with slight breeze as the evening went on so sleep will be possible !

Unbelievable spell of weather ahead really

• Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Top of the temps today were:

Mount Dillon 29.3 degrees

Oak Park 28.9

Athenry 28.9

Shannon 28.8

Gurteen 28.5

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Banarol

22 degrees at Gurteen 11pm

20 degrees Shannon at midnight

• Registered Users Posts: 24,026 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Back to C15 here in D15 and a slight fresh breeze making things feel a bit more pleasant. I notice the sheen of a very light dew on the car rooves also. It feels absolutely beautiful out of doors now, just sat on the patio surveying the stars for about 10 mins before locking up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Another stunning morning in Dublin, this really is the gift that keeps on giving

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Heavy fog this morning in East Cork, due to clear soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Clearing in the city now - sun breaking through 😀

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

How's Garryvoe looking these days? Heading there tomorrow for a couple of days. Keep some sun for me! 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Dark, grey and cool in Letterkenny again

• Registered Users Posts: 48,212 ✭✭✭✭km79

No issues sleeping again last night :)

In the furnace here in Mid Tipperary. Davis 1.2 up on this time yesterday. 30 could be broken today somewhere officially. Gurteen or Oak Park possibly. I would prefer Gurteen because I am biased;) but anywhere will do. Evelyn Cusack on Radio one there now touting that we might break the July Record set in Elphin in 2006 of 32.3 degrees on Wednesday or Thursday

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Just hitting 26c in southern Laois and it's not even midday!

Max of 29.1c yesterday and last night it only dropped to 15.2c.

Soils are warming up too - Almost 22c at 20cm, almost 23c at 10cm and 25c at 5cm!

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭glightning

Poor geography and relatively cool sea waters are to blame. If the sea was warmer around us we'd hit higher max temps and also would keep our heat much longer in the evenings. The only other way to get really high temps and high evening / night time temps is to have totally calm conditions.

• Advertisement

27 degrees Oak Park at 1pm

Advertisement