Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2021 - Thread banned users post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

• Registered Users Posts: 30 VertBlue

They are free to set up. I'm in a few groups... music, sport... and could set up a server if there was interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

No idea. I'd accept a reddit either. No idea how these things work though.

But this new site is terrible and slow. Also being down for a week is unacceptable. I'd be curious how big the software testing team is for boards.ie on a site this big. I bet it's tiny to non existent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

During the down time, I've been plotting a new portfolio (long term for the kids). I thought I'd lay it out here and get some feedback. Given my funds split into approx 44 units, here's what I've come up with. My aim is to have low turnover in adding/removing stocks so I'll just continue to add to these each month.

Heavy weight (4 units):

F (Ford)

NET (Cloudflare)

SE (Sea)

Mid weight (2-3 units):

CRWD (Crowdstrike)

PANW (Palo Alto)

DOCU (Docusign)

FVRR (Fiverr)

TDOC (Teledoc)

ROKU

Low weight (1-2 units):

PTSG (Pure Storage)

OKTA

NVTA (Invitae)

Any big red flags here? Anything I'm missing? There's a couple of other stocks I'm still considering to take it up to 15 stocks in the portfolio... ADBE, NVDA, SQ, PATH, AI, VEEV, and I'd like a bit of green energy in there (maybe CWEN/PLUG?). I may even add some Cielo here.

Anyone any idea of why Boohoo is doing so badly. I've been burnt on it. Have 10% of my portfolio in it but it's been continuously going down since January. I'm still up on it but very little at this point. Don't see the justification for the decline but perhaps it was just overvalued? Going to hold out till at least it hit's my BEP then I have to start thinking. But at this rate that won't be long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

Red every single day this past week! A lot of volatility still out there

• Registered Users Posts: 4,606 ✭✭✭Treppen

Ya same here, I thought they'd do really well once the return to nightclubs / shopping and fast fashion hits. I think I'll just go long with it and see how their acquisition of the big brand names plays out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

Nice entry for $AI atm, just above a 12mth low now. Funds have been selling recently but there seems to be a general trend of selling across a lot of stocks.

Anyone still holding PSTH? Really should have dumped it when I had the chance to break even. Universal Music just doesn't seem like a terrible company. But investors definitely don't like the structure of the deal. I'm down 6% on it and it's about 6% of my portfolio. Luckily I sold it previously near the top around 30 when the rest of the SPAC's were falling. Should have assumed the same here, but thought once a deal was announced that worst case it would hold 22 / 23. Not the case unfortunately, but not much decline left before hitting NAV anyway so probably staying long.

Still holding here. I sold some when it was around $30 and again around $26 but bought when it went under $23. If it goes close to $20 I would be tempted to buy more.

I think atm theres issues around its listing in Amsterdam being a negative for US investors plus the complicated structure of the deal but long term it will come good. They've already spoken about it being listed in the US when it de-SPACs and seem to be pushing for a Remainco deal to be done sooner rather than later.

FWIW JP Morgan recently valued UMG at 50bn which is just under 50% higher than it's valuation in the PSTH deal and the average valuation of 39bn is 13% higher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

Jaysus, it's been mayhem...Being up 15-20% last week and to down this week :(, thankfully took some profit in UPWK and Ceilo, should have done same with NIO and LI.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭jams100

I wouldnt panic here, associated british foods is doing the same thing (owner of primark / pennys). I'm adding to ABF not selling.

In saying that I can only speak for ABF as I know nothing about boohoo. I do find in general though that brirish stocks seem to be cheaper than other similar equities on the US market.

Is anyone in Alteryx/$AYX?

Sold off massively from 180 to 78 over the last few months.

Financials look good, Q1 revenues were impressive. Only negative I can see is they seem to be constantly issuing shares but there was a number of acquisitions to go with them.

However it seems like their product isn't keeping up with market demands (not a user just searching online), not as user friendly as others which leaves AYX either susceptible to the likes of MS utilising their office (PowerQuery/Pivot, PowerBI etc) products to produce similar or potentially a buyout of AYX given it's current low valuation. It has a cloud based product in early access since May but unsure how it will go, talk of using it to built out its ML/AI service to be more extensive. It's customer growth rate is low also, roughly 3% per year and falling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

I hate the patterns of the stock market at the moment. The amount of days in the last year that I was 300-400 in the green only to end the day 300-400 in the red - everything seems to be bunny-hopping downwards with sh!tty news articles in the driver seat.

The other one I hate is the bullish Monday/Tues, sell-off Friday pattern. It's like groundhog day. I wonder if I set automated sell orders for every monday/tuesday and buy orders for every Friday, how well I would do.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭bish76

I guess we will get used to this mobile looking layout on desktop. Moved from mostly green to RED this week. Topped up BABA, TDOC, MILE, BNGO and CLVT.

I have a small position that I'm going to double down on if it hits $75. My current BEP is 78.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

Threw a quick one together if anyone's interested. I personally don't like the new Boards formatting.. maybe it'll get better over time

https://discord.gg/RNTqr56M

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

It would immediately reverse the pattern and you'd end up missing massive gains as all your stocks hit ATHs. Then you'd buy back in and they'd drop like a stone. That's how it works right? The market has a personal vendetta against you and is waiting for you to make a move.... the wrong move.

Suffice to say, with 25% of my new portfolio invested, I'm going to sit on that 75% cash and wait and watch where this goes. Anything that looks like a bargain from my list, I'll go for. I did get my TDOC bag earlier, but it was like catching knifes. TDOC feels like it's had a hammering already though so hopefully it's near bottoming out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Getting absolutely destroyed this week. I'm balls deep on TSLA holding out for 700. Went similarly deep on GOED which initially popped last week but has since sunk to wipe out the gains.

I'm uncomfortable on TSLA but will see what earnings brings on Monday week. However, everything about GOED says to me that it'll pop again - it's just a matter of time. The fundamentals of the company are sound, the p/s ratio is insanely low (looking at the projected revenue for the year which they are on track for based on their monthly numbers), they're acquiring smartly, the industry is surely set to boom and there is clearly price manipulation going on if you look at the price movements in the last month.

Still a **** week for me which stings a bit but I'm confident it'll turn around.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

opened quite a significant position in British American Tobacco , the yield is sensational and while anything above 5% is usually a red flag , the company is well covered to continue paying it

Philip Morris is a stronger company but British American is more international and developing markets are where any growth is likely to come in the future

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭digiman

What’s people’s thoughts on Argo Blockchain, it’s down about 50% since I initially bought but I’ve bought in the dips to be 20% down. Might be time to cut the losses, really sinking and no sign of crypto recovering at the moment either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

I have an account with an Irish Stockbroker. I have bought a pharma stock as a long term hold for dividend. Large sum involved. I am being hit with €50 per quarter charge on a dormant account basically.

Looking for a bit of advice here. I can ask Davy to transfer my online holding to Certificate format......then I am free to shop around and choose a new broker with my certificate. Looking for recommendations as to what broker I could choose.

I would be happy to go back to an online holding, if I knew my charges would be lower than €200 a year. Also I would need to know if this broker would accept a share certificate to open the account. Also looking to find a broker where my selling costs would be low. Finally I would need a broker where I can trade in large sums.

Thanks for any help, advice or tips.

Have a sell order in for 100 on DEGIRO this morning, but even though the price is above 100 frequently and even hit 103.3 the stock is not selling. Is this purely to do with liquidity? Has anyone got any good links to explain why this is? I'm pretty novice!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

It has to hit the bid price (which in this case is 99.95) to fill the order. You'll have to go lower or wait for it to drop.

Edit: Correction: this is in the case of stop losses. If it's a limit sell order you have then it should fill if it's higher and is probably due to the low volumes.

It's a limit order I had and the bid was 102 at the time, see screenshot below:

Very frustrating, there is always a huge delay with the LSE exchange also.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Full disclosure I'm long Argo.

Love the story, the China shutdown, and their ESG efforts (doing mining with clean energy) is great for investors. Stock price has taken a big hit as you say, I topped up at £3 which is looking an awful move right now. But as I say everything I read about the company I love, so still going to hold, and trust that it'll pay off in the long run. The biggest winners are always the most volatile

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭in2dark

4D the hot stock a couple of months ago is being slaughtered...

To double down? What are people doing in here?

Btw i hate the new layout of the forum.

Will we do the discord?

PSTH.......😮

UMG deal is being shifted to PSH and no longer PSTH

• Registered Users Posts: 4,606 ✭✭✭Treppen

So what happens psth?

Edit: https://finance.yahoo.com/news/pershing-square-tontine-holdings-ltd-060000412.html

Back to the drawing board, 18 months left.

• Advertisement
Advertisement