Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Extending wheel nut wrench

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭kirving

They're great in my experience, but only use the extension when removing the wheel, there really is no need for huge torque when tightening.

The reason that the included jack is so short is to prevent even someone standing on the well brace from overtightening the nuts, which could actually be worse than being too loose.

Better for loose bolts to slowly work themselves loose and you feel vibration in the wheel, than for them all to break at once if overstressed.

Thanks for that. I will get one for her. What size nuts are on a MK6 Fiesta?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭mondeoman2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭jmreire

The problem with that particular wheel brace is that it has a curve near the actual socket, and this makes it easier to slip off to one side, rounding the studs. Happened me one time with it ( despite being carefull ) so I used a gas welder to heat the curve, and straighten it up so it was at right angles to the studs. and it never slipped again. For extreme victims of nut gun stud tightening, I slip an 18" length of steel piping over it, and and that works very well. Also for studs ( wont work with nuts) I place a hammer on the stud, and give it a few whacks of another hammer to shock it into loosening. The reason for using two hammers is to avoid damaging the wheel rims.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭BlakeS94

I'd much rather a breaker bar of the same length, wouldn't be much more money and more fit for purpose, even a short one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭zg3409

The extending nut wrench is ideal for weak persons to remove a wheel on the side of the road.

However after each visit to a garage or tyre place you need to loosen and re tighten all wheel nuts, as if the nuts have been put on with extreme force then you won't be able to get them off with this. It's handy for normally tight nuts, to get them off easily.

For really tight nuts all sorts of extreme measures are needed, if you are on the side of the road stuck the AA will come out to you even if you are not a member. Many insurance policies and new cars come with some form of breakdown cover so check that too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Lidl do the same one as Halfords every so often think they might be a good bit cheaper. Had one in the car for the last 20 years very handy.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

What and carry it all the time in your car. The point of the one in the OP is that it telescopes in half and can easily be kept in the car. Wrap it in a thick rag and drop it in with your spare wheel if you have nowhere else to put it.

What use is an 18" breaker bar at the side of the road unless you carry it in the car with you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Any time anybody apart from me takes off a wheel on my car I loosen and retighten them with a torque wrench. No need then for breaker bars or jumping on wheel wrenches at the side of the road in the rain.

I have to think about my wife and her having to change a wheel. No matter how correct the torque she is going to have problems without a bit of extra leverage.

An issue on fords can be swollen nuts. If they swell badly you have to hammer a socket on them, something most people couldn't do at the side of the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Calm down, its 18inches not 18 foot, He won't need a trailer to move it around.

Plenty people carry extra stuff in their cars, like breaker bars, Bottle jacks, jump leads, sockets etc.

I carry a lot of stuff in the car. Can do most maintenance with stuff I keep in the boot. I even have own a 18 inch breaker bar but still wouldn't think of carrying it around in the car.

What is the difference between a torque wrench, breaker bar and extending wheel nut wrench

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭John.G

Saw a very neat one years ago where the extension was part of the wheel brace and only opened out to apply more force when the nut/stud was being removed, it folded back in and only the normal length was available to prevent over tightening.

The amount of overtightening sometimes? applied by tyre centres using their "windy hammers" is frightening bearing in mind that a typical wheel nut tightening torque is ~ 90 ft lbs. I always slacken/re tighten the wheel studs after a tyre/puncture change and frequently have to stand on the wheel brace to slacken them and I am 200 lbs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭zg3409

A torque wrench is a precision measurement device design to make a lick noise when the correct tightness is reached as per manufacturers recommendations. It's only intended for checking after bring tightened with something else and not intended for taking off nuts. Ideally you keep it safe and dry and set to minimum torque to prevent the spring weakening over time.

A breaker bar is a very long wrench or bar intended to remove stubborn rusted or jammed nuts. Sometimes you add a 6ft pipe to it, to create extreme forces.

An extending wheel nut wrench is designed to be physically small, but can expand to twice it's length to allow weak people to remove correctly torqued nuts on the side of the road. It's no use if nuts are too tight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭Whocare

The halford one is available in The range for 6.99

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,922 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I agree about the slipping off comments. I have one, used it once & now carry a proper breaker bar & socket

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I carry a + shaped wheel brace, which of course allows you to pull and push simultaneously and balances the load so there is no chance of it slipping off. Have to also recommend loosening and re-tightening if any tyre place or garage has been at it.

This tool is ok only if previous mechanic did not over torque the wheel nuts. I seen insane over torqued nuts (+300Nm) where manufacturer was recommended only 110Nm. If you buy/use that tool, be sure your wheel nuts is not over torqued.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭beachhead

Bought the extended wheel wrench after a taxi driver helped me out while trying to change a wheel on a garage forecourt.Does the job on overtightened nuts.

Are you ever seen how most of the tire shops to do their job? I seen and I can tell to you the horror story. First they mount the nuts by impact and after make a show by torque wrench. Yes it click but the nuts are already +300Nm. They do not like the wheels falling off but they do not understand 1 simple thing, on roadside you can not change the tire. I can make the picture from that extended wheel nut wrench what was used for over torqued wheel nuts. It twist like a butter.

Advertisement