Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,469 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

In surprised given how it feels like every IP has had the reboot or relaunch chatter, there has never been so much as a sniff of Space Above and Beyond getting another shot. Wonder was it just too niche and genuinely lost to time, or are the rights stuck in limbo. Rare enough it has ever come up in conversations so may just be a forgotten cult item.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,786 ✭✭✭Evade

odyssey06 wrote: »
    That was Quality of Mercy. Briliant episode... it had a sequel Light Brigade with Wil Wheaton.

I remember Trial by Fire about first contact as being a standout.
    And Voyage Home with Michael Dorn was good.

Feasibility Study about an alien abduction had a great scifi plot twist.

There was a clever clip show episode at the end of season 1 where they tied up plots across multiple episodes... The Voice of Reason.
    Quality of Mercy an Light Brigade have Robert Patrick too.

Trial by fire was great, damn that water distortion.

Hearts and Minds was the title of the first episode I summarised, I looked it up on the wiki, and I think I'm about to fall down a wiki rabbit hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭Rawr

Evade wrote: »
    I loved S:AaB back in the 90s it has a good premise that would be great if it was well done but that applies to most things I suppose. Was it cancelled or did they know they weren't coming back? Half of the Wildcards were killed off in the last episode.

Based on what I read, the cancellation came as a surprise but they were given enough notice to rework the final episode into more of a finale (despite it still being a cliffhanger)

Someone uploaded S:AaB to a place online, I'm watching the first episode now and, CGI aside, it's holding up reasonably well. Well, except the 127th Angry Angels being an attack squadron and flying fighters.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,049 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

pixelburp wrote: »
    In surprised given how it feels like every IP has had the reboot or relaunch chatter, there has never been so much as a sniff of Space Above and Beyond getting another shot. Wonder was it just too niche and genuinely lost to time, or are the rights stuck in limbo. Rare enough it has ever come up in conversations so may just be a forgotten cult item.

I think Ronald D Moore and David Eick who were both involved in the reimagong 2004 Battlestar Galactica would do a great job on a reimagined Space: Above and Beyond.
    I wonder are they busy or maybe we could all try start a petition to get them to do it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,469 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

AMKC wrote: »
    I think Ronald D Moore and David Eick who were both involved in the reimagong 2004 Battlestar Galactica would do a great job on a reimagined Space: Above and Beyond.
    I wonder are they busy or maybe we could all try start a petition to get them to do it.

Ronald D Moore is currently helming For All Mankind, so he's definitely keeping busy; IIRC he also headed Outlander recently (though never watched it). Eick's portfolio seems less impressive other than BSG; Falling Skies was the one that popped out, albeit in the "wasted potential" variety.

It looks like Jonathon Frakes is going to do another series of Beyond Belief: Fact or Fiction. I look forward to another super cut of oddly specific first date type questions and "you're wrong."

Ms

Ronald D Moore is currently helming For All Mankind, so he's definitely keeping busy; IIRC he also headed Outlander recently (though never watched it). Eick's portfolio seems less impressive other than BSG; Falling Skies was the one that popped out, albeit in the "wasted potential" variety.
    Awe that's a pity.
    Falling skies started of so good and then by the 3rd or 4th series it just went downhill.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,979 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Has anyone here watched For All Mankind. I am currently half way through the first season and there is a very disappointing lack of Russians.

The tagline from what I can see shouldn't have been "what if the USSR were first to the moon" but instead "what if women were allowed to be astronauts in the 60s"

• Registered Users Posts: 29,943 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Has anyone here watched For All Mankind. I am currently half way through the first season and there is a very disappointing lack of Russians.
    The tagline from what I can see shouldn't have been "what if the USSR were first to the moon" but instead "what if women were allowed to be astronauts in the 60s"

It didn't quite match the 'blurb' in season 1 but I enjoyed it a lot ... some of the 'Mad Men' esque family dramas.
    It all pays off eventually in season 2.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

odyssey06 wrote: »
    It didn't quite match the 'blurb' in season 1 but I enjoyed it a lot ... some of the 'Mad Men' esque family dramas.
    It all pays off eventually in season 2.

Well I forget to cancel my free week pass with Apple so I have a month to give it another chance

Reminds me of Mercury 13 on Netflix. It's a documentary about women in the 50s that were privately put through the same kind of testing that NASA astronauts were and a couple of the people interviewed were adamant that all the women tested were better candidates than any of the Mercury 7 astronauts.

Reminds me of Mercury 13 on Netflix. It's a documentary about women in the 50s that were privately put through the same kind of testing that NASA astronauts were and a couple of the people interviewed were adamant that all the women tested were better candidates than any of the Mercury 7 astronauts.

The Mercury 13 women come up quite a bit in the show. I just assumed it would be a lot more about the space race rather than just the training of some female astronauts

Ms

So who is going to have a Trekathon on film four. I am.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

I'd like to but I've been spoiled by streaming and have a low tolerance for ads now.

Ms

/QUOTE]

I started to watch it but just never got back to it. Might buy it on Blu-Ray.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

I'd like to but I've been spoiled by streaming and have a low tolerance for ads now.

Awe that's a pity. Just pause it for a while. First four films tonight from 20 past 6 so not long now. I have them all on DVD anyway but enjoy just been able to watch them on the TV too.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »
    I have them all on DVD
    Same, but the resolution isn't great and my only working DVD player is in my bedroom.

There's something nice though about channel surfing then ... Ooh! A favourite movie just starting. Then the kettle goes on, 2 hours pass and you've ended up watching X for the 56th time :D

Ms

There's something nice though about channel surfing then ... Ooh! A favourite movie just starting. Then the kettle goes on, 2 hours pass and you've ended up watching X for the 56th time :D
    Yep I agree and when it's a Marathon like now even better.

I do love Kirks quarters on that Enterprise and that couch too.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I never understand how there are people in the world who consider Deep Space Nine to be the worst Trek series.

Personally it's my favourite series by quite some margin, but can appreciate if other people have more of a kinship with TOS or TNG (hell, even Voyager) so DS9 may not be their absolute favourite, but I will never trust someone who says DS9 is their out and out least favourite of all Star Trek shows.

I mean sure, maybe not one's favourite that's fine - I daresay there are plenty here who prefer TOS or TNG on balance - but that DS9 might be their least favourite? That feels ... tough to respect when Voyager, Enterprise and Discovery are sitting right beside it.

Just like people who claim STD is their favourite* I can only assume they were dropped ion their head as a child, repeatedly.

*Assuming they've seen other series

It's not even like DS9's lows were that low either - there were a few stinkers yes (Profit & Lace or Move Along Home for example) - but even when the story was a bit shíte, DS9's characters kept things interesting with their respective quirks, prejudices or ongoing arcs. Maybe it's the die-hard Utopians, those who simply can't countenance Trek dabbling with the idea of even slight smudges in the Federation's tapestry. That DS9 sullied things too much to support.

The whole reason the beat Khan is he is thinking in 2D warfare. Spock points it out and that's how the Enterprise hides to catch their breath.

The most realistic space battle on TV until BSG then The Expanse came along

New site layout strikes again. The view newest post button doesn't always bring you to the newest post.

The new site is like season 1 DS9; it's all a bit exciting and explode'y while the techs try to figure out the gremlins.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

And hopefully soon enough O'Brien will get boards working like a well oiled Cardassian Outpost, and the new site will feel as natural to us as Morn propping up the bar at Quarks.

The new site is far too bright to be DS9 season 1, more like ST2009.

• Advertisement

Ah, yeah the lens flare was unreal but ST2009's design was top notch. The ship was the standout but I appreciated the Apple-inspired bridge design. Was nice, genuine attempt to reimagine contemporaneous "high tech" visions. Just a shame about the script.

Advertisement