Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Has the 1 week downtime & move to vanilla killed this place?

• 19-07-2021 5:10pm

The place seems to be a bit of a ghost town since the move, many people haven't come back

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,370 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

It's also piping hot and sunny out, everyone's at the beach/pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

boards.ie the Ratner's of the internet

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Stephen Gawking

Must admit i am not a fan of the makeover, its very user unfriendly on a touchscreen device, anyone else think the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,078 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

New site layout is shyte.

Too much of the modern website layout look with huge wastage of screen space with nothing but whitespace.

Added to that can't find half my usual forums.

Bad timing as well that this happened when soccer forum would have been buzzing with people discussing England and their final.

Would have got lots of traffic to AfterHours as well.

Imagine the traffic to those forums and the loss of revenue.

Retrograde step for boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

How do you find what you posted on previously ? Before you could go into your profile and see your post history .

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,055 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I don't like it. I can't find anything. Unless I've had too much sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,445 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Yes,and I say that as a user who's not only figured out where everything is on his phone but is rocking a dark mode too.

It's utter ****, kills the UE and any sens of craic too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭Archeron

I've just discovered if you click your avatar, choose my discussions, it shows every post you have posted in. At the moment it appears be a completely wonky order with threads I posted in in 2008 appearing near the top, but it's a start.

I'm only a very casual user here but the drop off does seem huge, certainly on the threads I was following, some of them were posting faster than I could read but are dead now. I loved the old site and now it seems like an effort to even browse it. I genuinely hope it doesn't kill the site as I've found it invaluable loads of times and you can get a great laugh from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Hate it. Way more clicks and swipes to find stuff. Notifications on followed threads don't seem to exist for touch site.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,078 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

I just see I have been promoted to Level 4

whatever the foook that means. 🤔

Too many smilie face options when all you need is a few, especially the pis*** off one.

BTW just wanted to go to Advanced Mode to add in bold and bigger text, but I see they have wanked that feature up as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭Archeron

It also seems to be double posting, my post above now appears last and second in the thread. Saw somebody else mention this but I think one of them will disappear, just like that. Booooooooo!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

If using touch, press your avatar. The Boards strapline will expand to show icons. Click on the star icon and a list of what you've posted on /followed appears. A blue dot next to a thread title indicates new posts on a thread since you last viewed it.

Noticed that as well, some posts made 12 years ago make it higher in the search results now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Showing your age the famous Ratner's "because its total crap" quote was from the early 90's

Google says 1992.

Back on topic yeh it died but I can see a slow but constant increase in new posts.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

When I do this it just says my bookmarks , in which I have only two .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,071 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Hope no one was paid to do this 'upgrade'. Money for old rope!!

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭beerguts

I'll give it another while to see if the new layout grows on me but I think the few days it was offline is what killed my interest in the site. I used to check in up to 10 times a day but now it is just probably once a day. I cannot say I like the white spaces

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

You're right! I guess until they have the "My forums" feature back up we'll just have to star the threads we post on. In some cases this seems to he happening automatically for me and in others (such as this thread) I have to bookmark it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

It definitely didn’t kill it. You just don’t understand. That one week downtime was needed to ensure that no more downtime would ever be needed, well except for tomorrow’s downtime to migrate more stuff.

Absolute shambles. As someone said above, the Ratners of the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Vim Fuego

I don’t even know how I managed to navigate to this thread tbh.

All the features I liked now seem to be impossible. Not easy to follow forums, the amount of scrolling required everywhere is ridiculous.

RIP Boards. You had a good innings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,802 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

A week was a long time to be off, especially the week it was off, there some really massive sporting events coming to a conclusion and news items like the Dublin bye election. The new site is also not that user friendly as in it's not obvious how to navigate it, it seems to take much more effort to find threads than before. The only real good thing is being able to save a draft of your post and come later to post it.

There does seem to have been a big downturn in people posting, but, that could be down to the fine weather and people getting familiar with the new set up, hopefully in time it will improve as it was a good site for info and a bit of craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭cintec

I really miss the dark theme. Also don't like that I have to refresh the page to update latest or trending.

I’ve noticed the Covid forums in particular are dead. They used to be hard to keep up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,783 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Yeah I’d like a return to the dark mode too... I’ve got the iPad brightness down to about 25 - 30% to stop boards burning the corneas out of my skull, it’s crazy bright. I wonder what % of boards users regularly used boards in dark mode..

• Registered Users Posts: 35,573 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

This site now reminds me of vids on youtube of people reviewing Commodore 64's .

Boards is dead

R.I.P

Boards is far from dead. The mobile site is a bit unfortunate but I can't see the change heralding its demise.

It’ll pick back up fairly quickly because there’s no real alternative. It’s kind of a pity in a way because it is at the stage where the people running it need a bit of a wake up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

It's awful on phones. Not auto subscribing you to a thread you post in is silly also.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Pat_bottom

I been following the lads at **** and he giving it a good go. Might die out but seems to be gaining lots of interest from boardsie members looking for some I'd the old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

How do you get the dark mode back, can't find any option for it on desktop site. The only positive I see is if you click a thread title it automatically brings you to the first unread post instead of having to hit the old tiny icon...other than that it's fairly awful.

Advertisement