Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fear Street - Trilogy Film Event - Netflix - R.L. Stine

• 19-05-2021 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60,185 ✭✭✭✭

Starring Gillian Jacobs & Maya Hawke (Uma & Ethan's daughter)

A trilogy over 3 weeks instead of years.
    Three Movies. Three Weeks. One Killer Story.

In 1994, a group of teenagers discovers that the terrifying events that have haunted their town for generations ​may all be connected — and that they may be the next targets. Based on R.L. Stine’s best selling horror series, the trilogy follows the nightmare through Shadyside’s sinister history.

Watch the Fear Street Trilogy only on Netflix this July.
    Fear Street Part One: 1994 - July 2
    Fear Street Part Two: 1978 - July 9
    Fear Street Part Three: 1666 - July 16

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Ha! I was like.. Maya Hawke is totally reminding me of Stranger Things and then the very next scene out pops Sadie Sink! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,727 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I know I don't have to watch upon release, but would these not have worked better over 3 weeks in October?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

I watched this tonight. Just a fun old school slasher film. Thoroughly enjoyed it. It won't be troubling the academy at Oscar time, but nice way to spend a Friday night.

Liked the soundtrack, it is what it is and isn't pretending to be Hamlet.

Bubblegum for the brain.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,438 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I had low expectations but thought it was really fun. Some silly scenes but some good ones too. Most importantly, it has me caring about the lore so I'm looking forward to the next one. Soundtrack is epic!

I enjoyed that.

Hope they got a good deal on the music because they were just flying through those songs, playing only seconds from some.
    It was looking like everyone would survive so was surprised and kinda glad that wasn't the case, unfortunately for Josh.
    At first I expected Kate to be Josh's online queen which seemed the obvious route they would go.

Looking forward to the next one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,438 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I have a feeling we'll see some nice crossover. Beddy looks too much of an interesting character, they might be a camp member. Same in the hospital when they ran past a group watching telly, it hovered on an old guy for a second long enough to make me think he'll show up in the next one as well, camp ranger maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Xaniaj

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I enjoyed that.

Hope they got a good deal on the music because they were just flying through those songs, playing only seconds from some.
    It was looking like everyone would survive so was surprised and kinda glad that wasn't the case, unfortunately for Josh.
    At first I expected Kate to be Josh's online queen which seemed the obvious route they would go.

Looking forward to the next one.

I agree on the music, I found the quick transitions really annoying.

Good fun overall, felt like a 90s horror (in a good way!) and I'm looking forward to the other two movies

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I enjoyed that. Far from perfect but easily watchable. Good to see a slasher film getting back to slashing also.

I agree on the quick music transitions, felt like an MTV show, I didn’t care to much for those that ultimately did survive I have to say.

So no 2 is 1978 and no 3 is 1666, that’s a bit of a letdown given we know what happened.
    Also
    there’s more to the Cop and the cleaner, some big red and blue vibes off each

• Registered Users Posts: 43,759 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Was really looking forward to it but didn't feel as much of a throwback to 90's slashers which had been indicated elsewhere.

An R-rated Goosebumps would be more apt.
    Rarely felt like any of the main characters were in any real peril, deaths (bar the
    bread slicer
    ) were all a bit unimaginative and not definitely not enough humour.

Still will watch the next 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Notdeco

razorblunt wrote: »
    I enjoyed that. Far from perfect but easily watchable. Good to see a slasher film getting back to slashing also.

I agree on the quick music transitions, felt like an MTV show, I didn’t care to much for those that ultimately did survive I have to say.

So no 2 is 1978 and no 3 is 1666, that’s a bit of a letdown given we know what happened.
    Also
    there’s more to the Cop and the cleaner, some big red and blue vibes off each
    But do we?
    I'm thinking that the follow up movies may have an impact on the outcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,759 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Notdeco wrote: »
    But do we?
    I'm thinking that the follow up movies may have an impact on the outcome.
    Given the
    inconclusive ending
    of 1994, I think it'd have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Basq wrote: »
    Given the
    inconclusive ending
    of 1994, I think it'd have to.

Unless
    these are all prequels of a modern day update / follow on from 1994 coming out at Halloween?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RayCon

Watched the first one - didn't realize it was R.L. Stine. Makes sense now cos I immediately thought "this is like Goosebumps meets Scream with extra stabbings" ... decent teen slasher movie , will watch the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,431 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Absolute garbage, yet again, served up by Netflix.

Will not be revisting. Started off somewhat promising, but very quickly wore out its welcome. None of the slasher film charm, zero nostalgia, terrible characters and performances (par for the course with these sort of films but doubt the intent was there) and most annoying of all, boring.

If I could delete if from Netflix, I would.

Overall I liked it.

*MILD SPOILERS BELOW since tags don't seem to work*

Edited as I see how to do them now

Did seem to get a bit mixed up with its own rules, or maybe that was just me.

And trying to remember, because I wasn't exactly online myself back then, but did user handles use the twitter handle format? Just when the girl used the "@"

Post edited by CastorTroy on

• Registered Users Posts: 31,752 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I watched the first two...I preferred the second one to the first....I watched about 10 minutes of the last one....but Christ those accents....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Enjoyed the first two, and although I found it hard to get into part three for the first 30 minutes or so (those accents didn't help) once we started getting some answers and the mythos began coming together it really picked up again and was as enjoyable as the previous installments.

Decent overall, nothing amazing, but glad I watched them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,031 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

First one was enjoyable enough, in the sort of glossy, Stranger Things nostalgia style way. Part two was muck - no real passion or drive behind it (unsurprising another director originally was pencilled in for it, but very surprising that director was indie darling Alex Ross Perry - that I’d liked to have seen!)

But consider me pleasantly surprised by part three which really was quite a delightful Saturday night treat. A big, brash mass market crowdpleaser in two equally satisfying parts. It’s not particularly scary nor particularly surprising, but it is lively, intense and playful. Still had a bit of that neon, Stranger Things style hollowness to it… but the sheer energy and enthusiasm of the thing made that easy to overlook. A masterpiece of the genre? No. A damn good time? You betcha.

That surprise second title card drop btw? *Chef’s kiss*.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,182 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

It was a good fun watch - too many people see Netflix behind a movie and instantly rate the movie crap, hey you don't need cinema big budget SFX and cast to be entertained

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I enjoyed the series as a whole, not sure any of them would hold up as individual films though.

Those Irish accents were a weird choice in the last film though. I don't think it even makes sense for a 1666 colony of puritans to be Irish, never mind the fact the accents were just plain bad. I'd love to know the thought process behind that decision.

For the record, these were not made by Netflix. They had no involvement in the making of them. They were originally made for cinema releases last year. A combination of Covid and various studios being bought and sold resulted in Netflix getting the distribution rights, after filming had been completed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,182 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Can't imagine these would have been received well in the cinema, ok for TV watching

I dunno, probably depends on how they were marketed, but yeah, I'd guess people were more likely to watch all 3 on Netflix regardless of whether they liked them or not than they would be to pay into the cinema 3 times. It may well have been a good thing that they ended up streaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Gave all three a watch. Liked the second one the most. Definitely felt like it had the most effort/money put in.

Nothing ground breaking in the trilogy but netflix put a chunk of change into it and it delivered a supernatural slasher trilogy from it.

Nothing huge jumped out about the other two films. For the last film, I thought

the face swapping in the 1666 flashback was done poorly. There's gotta be better ways to do it. It just didn't serve well here. It felt like maybe they were trying to save money or were too worried they were losing the audience connection to 1994. Either way I think it didn't serve an audience connection to 1994 all that well if that's what they were going for.

I didn't mind them using the same cast, I think it added to the whole idea of generational trauma that was running through the trilogy. The awful Irish accents on the other hand.... were definitely a weird choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭Homelander

First one was fairly weak, second one was actually surprisingly solid and a great homage to 80's slashers, I enjoyed that one a lot.

Third one was generic-but-grand. It was hard to get past those awful accents.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Really enjoyed the trilogy.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,000 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I thought the trilogy was pretty good, and benefitted from the successive-weeks release strategy on Netflix. It's hard to imagine them getting the same sort of momentum on a months- or years-apart theatrical release schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 RH164

Okay, so I won't totally hate on this, however I could have ended this better I think. Some people may say I am just a sucker for a happy ending, but that's not it, I like Sinister an the Haunting of Molly Hartley specific for them having dark downer endings, but I thiugh I saw where this was heading and I was depressed it ended the way it did

Now I got the spoilers going.........................................................................................................................................................................................................

Ok, so Deena goes back in time and is Sara Fier, not just in her body-Is Her-and it shows the truth of the curse and then they break the curse and all is put well and right. But why the heck could they have not allowed Deena's conscious knowledge to travel back and possibly bring to light the truth so that the curse never began? Then, not only could Kate and Simon still be alive(and Josh could have been the nerd who actually landed a cheerleader) but we could have seen the timeline all redone for each of the cursed dead. I would have totally dug that ending

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: I just thought that was where this was going, that the timeline would be cleaned up. I'm not entirely disappointed, I do feel some of the details were lazily handled, but whatever. I just wish I had not invested so much hope, but at least it wasn't a total waste of my free time

Advertisement