Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welcome to the new Boards.ie platform - Version 1.0 :)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Agreed, traffic is way down on all the forums I follow. Maybe it's because it's so difficult to find them!

The fix happening this evening to bring the 'My Forums' links back should hopefully fix some of the navigation issues.

(on desktop)

It would be nice to have a delete button next to the save draft & post comment buttons, rather than having to navigate elsewhere to delete it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I know right 🤣 I've taken to manually wiping the accidental draft and then hitting space so that it's at least left blank until I batch delete the build up of drafts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

It would be nice to have a switch in your profile to turn saved drafts off altogether.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,583 ✭✭✭archfi

On desktop, clicking on users avatar gives more info now.

though Discussion total on mine is x10 wrong, I only ever started one thread.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭stronglikebull

On Chrome , mouse over a user's name and the pop-up shows "View Profile" and "Send Private Message", but when you move the mouse away from their name to click either of those options, the popup menu disappears. Can still just click a username and it goes to their profile, but that popup menu seems rather pointless then.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Good morning all, I have tried to answer as many queries as posible that have been posted since I was last on the thread. When we have more updates, I or Odhran will post those too. As said, we are reading all of the posts and actioning them or adding them to bug lists for action where appropriate. We genuinely appreciate the dfeedback you are giving here, it is very helpful to know what issues you are discovering and what you think would help you use the site in a more efficient way or a way that is better for you. \

@[Deleted User] you should be able to post in Childfree by Choice now, please check when you have a chance and let me know

Removing images from a post - tap/click on the image and the delete (dustbin) option appears

@retro:electro I will flag this as something to be looked at (thanks on mobile) 

It's already been flagged re THANKS that the list of thanks is only as long as the post, won't show all so that is on the bugs list @The Continental Op @isha

@Caranica will look into Helpdesk today, it is marked as a Group due to the premoderated posting in the forum but obviously it should be available to everyone. 

@Fitz* re sharing icons, they came as standard and will probably be removed, however some users are using them at the moment to link to specific posts. Once the post links are back, we can remove the share buttons appearing on each and every post. 

@tangy the downtime is scheduled according to what suits both sides. Looking at our traffic it generally dips after 5pm for a couple of hours and gets busier after 7. All going well, we'll be back online by 7pm.

@_Kaiser_ we said even before the move that a dark mode would be a priority but would not be part of the initial migration. 

@speckle to delete a draft, go to Drafts from your dropdown menu on the desktop version and click X on the one to delete. On mobile go to the footer on any page and there is a link to My Drafts. You can X out of whichever drafts you want to delete there. Shortcut is https://boards.ie/drafts

@ReginaldSmythV 'Unanswered' appears in threads that a user has set up as a question rather than a discussion. They are probably better suited to forums like maybe DIY where someone asks a specific question about how to do something. The OP can then mark a reply as having answered their question. It won't close the thread but will be marked for others asking the same question in future. 

@igCorcaigh @ReginaldSmythV Dismissing a thread. This appears to allow a user to dismiss a sticky thread from the top of the forum. Not a great idea for Forum Charters but possibly helpful in Sticky-heavy forums. We may look at this again.

@igCorcaigh no notifications available for Thanks/likes on a post or plans for it atm. Discussions are Latest Posts but with some stickies at the top, the Boards.ie logo brings you to the homepage with Latest posts, My forums, etc. 

@Arghus I appreciate your points. We really appreciate how frustrated users are by the user experience at the moment which is why we are working hard to rectify the biggest issues first and will then work our way through the rest of them. This is a very fast-moving thread, yesterday I had 400+ posts to read and I did read them all but I sadly don't have time to reply to everyone in the way that they would like. I could spend half the day doing that but that's half a day I am not spending logging bugs or updating the How To post or engaging with mods and admins in their forums. We are all spread very thin and doing our best.  

@Leg End Reject which preferences were these? Can add to bugs list

@CH3OH the plan was to replicate Boards as closely as possible, however some of the features that would have made it feel more like 'home' did not work as they should have and are adding to user frustration - My Forums, last post date, post timestamps and a few others. All are on the list to be fixed asap, there will be scheduled downtime this evening to fix My Forums and last post date. 

@Alf Veedersane Looking at delete and edit settings this morning.

Thanks all, we'll have another update later today.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,056 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Darkmode, woo hoo!

It would do if you hadn't made yours private 😛

Thanks for that, now I know private profile works! 😉

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Advertisement

Boards.ie: Niamh

@_Kaiser_ we said even before the move that a dark mode would be a priority but would not be part of the initial migration. 

But no one knew then how bad it was going to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

editing post is very awkward.

on the old boards used you be able to read the the first half sentence of a post by hovering over it's links, very useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,821 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Could the number of posts per page be limited to 15 or 20, similar to previous (which was 15 on desktop, less on Touch)?

Given the difficulties navigating the site, (clicking on a thread title doesn't always take you to the first unread posts - sometimes it's the top of the last page even if there are unread posts on previous pages, sometimes it's the last post of the entire thread) it makes it really unwieldy having to scroll through 30 or 40 (I haven't counted) posts on each page trying to find a post you recognise.

Cheers @Boards.ie: Niamh

I flagged the image issue as that functionality wasn't working for me on mobile yesterday evening but did work on desktop.

All working fine today on both

Hmm, was just going to add a thumbs up emoji but I just realised that mobile doesn't get the emoji option

Oh well :-/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I wouldn't like that. I and many others had their settings set to 40 posts per page on the old site. On option would be nice though.

Yeah same, whatever the max posts per page was, I had it set to that, always thought it was 50

A little glitch I've just noticed - my post that I've quoted shows 2 likes on the button, but when I hover it shows 3 names that have liked it.

My Bookmarks (subbed threads), My Forums (after 7pm tonight 😉) and current Discussions on main banner now

Can the 'new' icon with number of new posts be placed before thread title?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,150 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I think you just use the emojis in your keyboard on mobile like you would in watsapp etc Like this 😂🤣🤔😬

• Advertisement

D'oh 🦧

• Registered Users Posts: 9,937 ✭✭✭thesandeman

When I try to check who liked my posts I just get a pop-up telling me that I can't like my own post (mobile).

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭RedCardKid

Had just found my way around the old system and then the change .... now I am absolutely lost. Bit like sending someone to a town they dont know to find a back yard workshop without a sat nav or exact address. Will be interesting to see the finished product ..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

@Boards.ie: Niamh it's the 'Notifications Preferences' when I go to edit profile.

Probably my own stupidity, but I had tried to change them before and only realised yesterday I had to scroll across to the tick boxes.

ETA: This is probably all visible on the desktop site, but isn't on an Android phone using Chrome.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Is there a way to show both the date and time of a post?

I find this useful if reading back over discussion of a sports event / tv show etc. to navigate to a particular point in the discussion.

Beyond that, looks grand.

I know Niamh/Odhran have said there shouldn't be any speed issues, and they're looking at it - but there's still a fairly significant lag for pages to load for me on the desktop version.

Not so bad on the Touch site, but still not as smooth as it should be/was.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,355 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Thanks for the reply earlier Niamh.

I don't know where it is on the to do list but you'd miss the old thanks features. I know the "likes" are equivalent, but they just don't feel the same - and how visually satisfying it could be to see a line of usernames after a post. It was also handy if you were skimming through a busy thread, to look for the thanks rather than to read every last post and knowing who exactly was thanking a post could tell you a lot immediately about its quality - or, oftentimes, its complete lack of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

True @Arghus, seeing who thanks certain posts can tell you who not to engage with as much as the opposite.

• Advertisement

Here's something thats a real pain and can't work the way it used to. NO CHAT threads, like the Amazon one.

If I wanted to comment on a thread in the Amazon No Chat thread I'd quote the post I wanted comment on then copy and paste it to a reply on the Amazon Chat thread.

How am I supposed to do that now?

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement