Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

All that empty white space!!!!!

My own work uses the Vanilla platform and the white space on the sides is there to be used and they haven't used it. I think they felt they had to stick too close to the looks of the old site and hamstrung themselves. I guess it's far easier to start from scratch than having to move 20 years worth of stuff and maintain the structure etc.

They have missed some basic stuff that was in the old site that also exists in Vanilla like mouse hovering over / clicking top menu's to expand them for site navigation.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Also the hover over thread title to get a quick preview would be a welcome return. The old version had a feature when updated/new thread titles were displayed in bold - that would also be welcome.

I'm sure as the days and weeks go by we'll see tweaks and changes.

There're settings they haven't even noticed yet, simple stuff like on the forum the post time is 24hr clock and in the threads it's 12h

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

cant see the problem, its a forum i can post stuff, seems like some people like complaining too much; i think trying to replicate the forum too much, should have gine for a new look and feel _ can you imagine the complaints then ! oh and #bringbackthePAC

on a cycling note plumb last in our club 25 mile TT last night (272m of climbing) 85mins at least there was a tailwind back, legs shot this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

What do the levels mean? I never noticed them before. I'm level 4 also but I hardly ever use the mobile version and haven't since the change.

Also what's the significance of the single asterisk (out of 5) that everyone seems to have below their name?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

In more normal posting, how likely are these (top tube panniers) to remain on my general-purpose bike if left there permanently and empty, possibly with the addition of a Hiplok z-lok to secure them in some way? I might bodge something together for the top tube from Ikea bits and pieces instead, but these would be quite handy for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

I think it's just the amount you've posted. You have four stars on the mobile site, I have three, but you have many more posts than I have. Think the stars and levels are the same

On the bright side, it's a lot easier to post images now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭devonp

Good to Have Boards back....

one thing i've noticed is when you click on the arrow in the last post column for a thread it doesn't always bring you to the last post !!

sometimes it does ??🤔

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,421 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

there are still a few gremlins in the system; i suspect that one will be dealt with eventually.

Hopefully the cycling forum gets back to were it was, at the minute it feels a little like a shadow of it's former self really as do a few others I post in.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Agreed - the user experience is very different. I haven't even bothered with some other forums as it's a pain to navigate at the moment. Thanks to the feedback thread I got a 'dark mode' extension for Chrome which has eased the burden on my eyes.

I mentioned we use it in work so I've seen what it can look like but I'm not responsible for implementing or developing it. Once the guys get up to speed with it the site should be all the better for it. Vbulletin will always have a place in my heart though 😂

EDIT: I must actually try the site on Edge or Chrome, I've been converted to Brave over the last year after using Opera for 15 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Hopefully it gets back to being normal, navigation at the moment is killing it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

There's two things missing, as far as I can see, that I would have used for navigation.

First, there's doesn't seem to be an easy way to access a list of subscribed/followed forums.

Second, there doesn't seem to be an way way to search up my own previous posts.

This is all based on the mobile site, which I would originally have used maybe 80% of the time

• Registered Users Posts: 9,176 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

@cletus You have to re-follow your former subbed forums via https://boards.ie/categories — Find the forum there, tap the cog icon and choose follow. Once you've eventually found all the ones you want to follow, there's a toggle at the top of the categories page to switch between All and Followed. New posts in your followed forums will show up in https://boards.ie/discussions too rather than going from forum to forum.

Right now the cog icon is only there on mobile for me, though the categories toggle works on both mobile/desktop.

Your previous posts are shown reverse chronological here: https://boards.ie/profile/comments/cletus — On mobile, tap your avatar - profile icon - View Profile - scroll to the bottom and tap Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Another thing - perhaps it just my ignorance but it doesn't seem possible to quote part of a post now. Useful if you just wish to respond to one part of a long post.

it doesn't seem possible to quote part of a post now

I noticed that too, however you can use the greater than sign to format a quote. It doesn't show who you're quoting though.

@RobertFoster

It doesn't show who you're quoting though.

Just testing this, using the quote function from the paragraph menu pasting a selection of text and @username the @username is designed to also trigger a notification to the person you quote I think.

EDIT: That's not really ideal either but maybe a bit easier on the eyes, unworkable on mobile I'd say (posting from desktop here)

• Advertisement

@[Deleted User]

designed to also trigger a notification

Not within a quote it seems 😄

(emojis are a PITA and slower compared to :) ;) etc.)

boards.ie - Now Ye're Talkin' Ye've Teethin' Problems

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭ARX

I imagine they'd make your bike a magnet to those whom meum and tuum are one and the same.

Yeah, they might draw attention. My concern is that the panniers would be stolen rather than the bike. You do see people leaving rear panniers empty on bikes, but baskets are better in this regard, as they're obviously empty when they're empty.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,421 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

going out on the bike later, groaning at the idea of cycling in 25C temps and this humidity.

Yeah the humidity is what kills me, I can deal with the heat to a point.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,494 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Question: having just watched the tour and spent 3 weeks trying to get used to the different from last year team names it made me think; why are teams in cycling named after the sponsors? Is there any other main stream sport that this happens in, I can't think of any...

it's not too many sports where those teams aren't linked to a geographical place.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭buffalo

Happens in football (PSV Eindhoven, Bayer Leverkusen), American football (Green Bay Packers), cricket, rugby, and Japanese baseball - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sports_clubs_named_after_a_sponsor

I think it happens more when naming stadiums and arenas. Are velodromes named after sponsors too?

• Advertisement

are they not usually named after the car manufacturers?

Advertisement