Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin Bay South By-Election

1323334353638»

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Well, I was wrong saying she wasn't the right candidate for Labour. Think that was before O'Connell was definitely out but it might not have been!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Blut2

I have to hold my hands up and say I was also completely wrong with my initial doubts about Bacik's electability. She did very well to be fair to her.

FG's vote held up reasonably well so they can probably just blame the result on Geoghegan being a pretty bad candidate. O'Connell probably would have taken the seat for them.

FF on the other hand...their worst election result in their history I believe. It should really serve as a huge warning sign to them that they face electoral obliteration in the next election unless they manage to achieve some very substantial things on housing and health.

• Administrators Posts: 53,331 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

SF must be disappointed as well, I think their vote share went down and they are the main opposition party?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,336 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Particularly since they made a huge effort to get their vote out, as did FG. The FG vote help up, but not so much for the SF vote.

I saw no SF or FF presence in my area, but plenty of FG, Green and Labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Blut2

The SF vote actually held up better than the FG vote, according to the figures. Vote difference between the 2020 General election and the DBS by-election result:

LAB +22.4%

SF -0.3%

SD -1.4%

FG -1.5%

FF -9%

Grn -14.5%

We'd need more granular statistics to know the breakdown details for certain, but I'd imagine the historically very low working class by-election turnout, and Boylan's lack of local constituency connections/work, was cancelled out by an increased anti-government vote - which combined left them pretty much at a standstill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭PommieBast

I've no doubt that the FG and SF vote both involved a significant amount of churn, but given the difficulty in knowing for sure I tend to reach for Occam's Razor.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,261 ✭✭✭✭jm08

I'm surprised that SF did as well as they did. Last Gen. Election it was the first time for SF to win a seat in this constituency and a lot of that has to do that Chris Andrews is of the political Andrews family dynasty of Fianna Fail and would have a fairly high and well respected profile in the Constituency.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭zimmermania

BY-ELECTIONS can be difficult to predict,occasionally if one candidate appears to be head and shoulders above all others he/she gets a vote in multiples of what their party is getting in the polls.

Labour could not have expected to head the poll in any circumstances,but because Bacik was identified as far and away the best candidate she headed the poll.

Michael D did the same or the same reasons and Jan O'Sullivan also did the same in 1998 for Labour in a by-election in Limerick when against all odds she headed the poll and won the seat.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The thing is that having a locally good candidate is the only way a party on say under 10% nationally can ever expect to get a seat at all. That got Labour 20 seats off 10.1% in 2007 - few if any of them could be seen as having been lifted in to place by a party had been on a fairly static vote share for a decade.

Whereas once a party is getting towards a polling figure that would be a five seat quota (16-17%) and beyond its much more likely that a candidate can just get lucky.

There is a bit more to her election than that,you felt she was the wrong candidate in the first place and now you attribute her success to luck!

It is obvious she was perceived as the best candidate by so many

voters despite the Labour party's poor position in the polls.

• Advertisement

You didn't understand my post if you think I said she got lucky.

Maybe you could explain what you your post meant.

Advertisement