Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Car Trailer - wheel problems

• 20-07-2021 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭

Hi,

iv got a small 8x4ft double axle car trailer.

it appears the back wheels are taking most of the weight - and they eventually burst!

looks like the front axle (both sides) is up further (i.e closer to the trailer floor) then the rear axke, and so does not take as much weight.

The trailer seems level with the tow-bar, so doesnt look like thats the problem.

Any ideas?

Any bit of a load at all blows the rear axle tryes, and then the fron one takes the weight, which then blows!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭mad-for-tar

Looks like your rear axle has larger diameter tyres than the front axle and at the same time looks like the front axle has collapsed a little. Either it’s a full beam each axle with rubber inserts and trailing arms where he wheel hub is or you have 4 independent assemblies 1 for each wheel. If it’s the latter, you’d be able to replace each one individually but if it’s a beam you’d need a whole axle assembly if it is confirmed that the rubber inserts that provide the suspension have collapsed.

But first, I’d say to weigh up whether he diameter of tyres is slightly larger on one axle than the other (even due to wear) and if so, put the larger diameter ones on the front axle and the smaller diameter on the rear axle. Will compensate for the possible height difference from the floor to centre of hub on each axle and may help balance it out much better in short term.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭abnormalnorman

Thanks very much for that, mad-for-tar. All the wheels / tyres are the same size. here do i start ripping to check about the suspension? even if it was a problem with the (rubbers), would it not be all the same under heavy load?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭9935452

Id definately be checking the suspension.

From the pictures it doesnt look like standard leaf spring suspension .

Another thing to check is the load rating on the tyres. I have a 8x5 ifor 4 stud, 2 ton trailer,tyres have a load rating of 500kg a tyre. The spare had a lower load rating . Cheaper tyre

What sort of weight are you carrying to burst the tyres

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Dirty Nails

Didn't understand some of your post but from the pics several things jump out.

The front axle is carrying the weight in the pic- the rear axle is hanging- I'd say car ball is too low/trailer too high.

The drawbar was butchered & the coupling doesn't belong to that trailer

There are no brakes on it so the breakaway strap is pointless, you need to put a heavy chain on it for your own sake.

Measure the ball height of the trailer (off the car with the jacking leg up) & compare it to your car.

Lastly,there should be 70/80 psi in in those wheels.

Advertisement