Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ROLL IT BACK

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,270 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

so it doesn't look like tonight's downtime fixed anything

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

Give them time, I'm sure they'll sort it. A load of people screaming about how **** they find it, and then flouncing off to some new site, set up by some (to the best of my knowledge) totally anonymous person, about whom we know nothing, helps nobody.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,969 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Did it break anything though? That might be the new metric. :)

Post edited by Esel on

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Don't want to be overly critical as I know someone has invested time and effort into the changes. But some bizarre choices made around information architecture of the new page layout, search and navigation have made it almost impossible for me to find what I'm looking for. I don't know who this new site was for or what goal it was supposed to have but the user experience was not an improvement.

Yes, websites need to evolve and move forward. But was this even usability tested? I just can't spend more than a minute trying to use this site now without quitting out of frustration.

You should not need to write a 'guide' on how to use your new site (like the one posted by Niamh). It should be easier to use, not harder, folks.

I imagine the plan is to stick it out and try to salvage it because you've gone so far with it..my advice; don't be afraid to scrap it and start again with what you've learned.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

This is ridiculous.

Site is a complete joke now. Get it sorted out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

Has there been any positives to come out of this? For all the agro this has caused the site looks mostly the same except that every component now has rounded edges and too much padding. TBH it looks an intern got tasked with "upgrading" the site to a 10 year old version of Bootstrap.

Roll it back, much of what you thought needed changing was probably a draw for many people.

It's about time people who don't like what's happening here clearly signal their displeasure in the only way Boards.ie and their non-user stakeholders will care about, rather than watching this train wreck as it happens. It pads their metrics for visitor traffic and registered user count. At this stage, why bother?

Just email datarequests@boards.ie as follows:

Hello,

The migration of my personal data to a forum platform and hosting provider located outside of the EU has raised concerns, something I believe has not been adequately addressed by boards ownership and admins in recent weeks.

I therefore request that any non-essential personal data be deleted at this time. I further request that all of my posts be anonymised and that my account be closed.

Thank you for your time and for helping make boards.ie what it was.

A bit like cutting off your nose to spite your face, no?

Not your ornery onager

Not in the least.

I've been on boards since around 2003 so it's not a decision taken lightly.

I just can't be arsed arguing with fools who'd like us to accept that this 'move' is a good thing for the community who actually created what they're looking to exploit.

It won't matter to the vast majority here, but that's not why I'm doing it. Principles. I have mine and I'll act in accordance with them. Others should do the same.

A man has to know where he'll draw the line. I've drawn mine and that's the end of that I suppose.

There is absolutely no solid evidence that the site is not GDPR compliant, so it's a bit previous to be seeking deletion of your account or advocating that others do the same.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,251 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I'd switch to gubu if I could read the confirmation code.

Sending such an uppity email to the owners of a discussion forum seems a bit of a knee-jerk reaction. It's taking longer than some would like (and maybe if the weather wasn't so nice, I'd be impatient too), but the site is slowly getting there. Certainly seems a lot faster than it was.

Also, apart from my email address and whatever rubbish I've spouted on here under various guises over the last two decades, I'm not sure what personal data those pesky non-Europeans have on me, or what value it is to them.

It takes little effort to see that in its current format, it's not GDPR compliant.

No terms of service:

No privacy policy/notice:

No cookie policy and no options presented when I visit to let me choose what to accept:

And a footer stating that the platform/software I'm consenting (or not withdrawing consent, without taking the course of action I have tonight) to the processing of personal data on is hosted by Digiweb, an Irish hosting service provider:

Call a spade a spade, this is super simple stuff. There's absolutely no acceptable reason why this hasn't been attended to in the context of a simple theme for a forum.

Something else a higher priority? Yes, clearly. But that's just not good enough.

I'm also not really interested in arguing with die-hards here at this point, especially with someone who says there's no evidence of breach, as opposed to the clear evidence of non-compliance.

Couldn't be arsed with it, as I've already said. And I draw the line. Every else can do the same. I'd encourage others to open their eyes and see what's right there in front of them, rather than take anything on blind faith from a company who have clearly acted without end users interests in mind.

Esel, you and anyone else who wants can decide for yourselves what you want to accept. Nobody's making you leave, nor making me stay. Like I said, I'm done.

'Uppity'? Knee jerk? I can't fix your ignorance for you. Go and educate yourself why this matters, even if you don't think it does. You get nothing free, especially not when dealing with a company who monetise the value of 'community' by using personal data to target advertising and a whole load of other things that happen without the average user having any notion about just how invasive this stuff is, even here on innocuous looking boards.ie. If you think there's not a compromise here when it comes to your data and their business model, you're very much mistaken. You might be okay with it, but you should at least make an informed decision about whether or not you should be okay with it. And I think that's just about enough. Anyone else looking to argue with me or undermine the valid points I'm making is really just being pedantic and looking to score points. What I've written is accurate, completely. If you can't see that, or don't agree with me, that's fine. I'm not really looking to convince you, just to make sure others know they need to think this through and decide if they're okay with it for themselves. And if they're not, pull the plug, send the email.

I understand it alright, but like most people, I don't mind a discussion forum using whatever limited personal data I've given them to target adverts (that I'll probably ignore anyway) at me. I think you need to calm down a bit.

How do I find the "Close Account" button? I've tried to like the change, but it's just total garbage that I won't waste my valuable time on. This was a major f*ck up...

slán libh

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

The options to edit an image in a post does not work, no new icons pop up when you want to edit the picture.

Also the is no option to delete a post in edit mode.

Also no option to preview a post before submitting it

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

Yea the new boards is terrible.

I remember the previous upgrade and people complaining at the start before everyone got used to it, but this is not the same, this is actually a vastly inferior platform and bordering on unusable.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,679 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

So, we are two weeks into the new site, and where are we?

Is there any redeeming feature about this new platform?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

I could easily adapt to the new layout, but for the love of god make dark mode a priority, 99% of the time i click on the bookmark for boards, i get instantly blinded by the brightness and close the tab.

Just make the dark mode and it will all work out 😄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Slideways

It’s a **** shambles. I’ve been on boards in various guises since 2005 and this is atrocious.

I mostly browse on my phone, the update has made it unworkable.

Having to manually subscribe to a thread is just a basic thing that was auto. The lack of visible thanks like countless others have mentioned means standout posts no longer standout in a large fast moving thread.

ye shît the bed, now be a grow up and admit to it and go about fixing it

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'm not a fan

There, I said it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,355 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Positive is that I have bought something I spotted on Bargains for over a week now

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Your avatar looks a bit like a fan so it's been an easy assumption for us to make. I'm glad you clarified for us. :)

Also: has anyone found a "Mark all threads Read" button yet?

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

It just smacks of too much change and effort when there wasn’t really all that much wrong in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,710 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Is it just me, or is there a "desktop version" somewhere I can access, where there aren't ads popping up in the middle of people's posts? And I used to open a Quote in a new window and it would open the response in a new box - but now it just opens that page in a new window.

Ahh I have too many complaints, it's pretty bad.

Boards.ie is now absolutely terrible

A majority probably access it on the phone and the touch site is now an online version of hide and seek

Using the desktop version on a phone means constant pinching and enlarging

No ones going to do that

I only come in the odd time now mainly for the weather forum and each time I regret it

Traffic must be way down

You've at last killed the site

• Registered Users Posts: 5,710 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

how does one access the desktop version? I hope it's not that that I am using right now, as it looks like mobile, but I am on a pc!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,679 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

The owners of the site and those in charge should be having an emergency meeting to discuss pulling the plug on this new platform. It is god awful.

• Advertisement

If you are on a pc,its the desktop version

Phones can switch between the two

Problem is the desktop on a phone is tiny and needs to be enlarged each page

Advertisement