Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Liveline: Thread with no name, Host with no shame

• 20-07-2021 3:38pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ok new thread, just put this on it as a name until we get something better.

Usual rules apply, play nice, its sunny out :) and I can't use the touch site at all! I don't want to be logging into the laptop to deal with rows.

27 march 2024 - moderator: we are concerned about the level of trolling and off topic posting in this thread. if it continues, we will have to strictly police this thread to ensure it is only about the show.

we have alwayd allowed a certain amount of latitude in this thread to keep things light and fun. in the past couple of days it has become more sinister. any more of this and we will change the rules for everyone. please remain vigilant in reporting problematic posts.

Post edited by pc7 on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,825 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Joe was so poor today...he barely challenged Anne on anything, then cut off pretty rapidly the one really decent caller Mary who spoke a bit of sense.

But it is pointless lodging a complaint.

I lodged one after that bizarre Riverdance the movie show.

Response below

Dear gmisk,

I refer to your email of June 1st regarding the segment on Liveline on RTÉ Radio 1, broadcast on May 31, 2021.

I will respond to each of your complaint headings:

Section 48 (1) (a) –

This provision relates to news: Liveline is not news; it is a caller-driven magazine programme that has a wide and diverse range of content. This provision does not apply to the programme.

The item in question, a discussion about reviews of the animated film version of Riverdance do not constitute current affairs and the relevant provisions for current affairs are not applicable.

The discussion featured a wide range of callers and views and was not in breach of any of the regulatory or statutory provisions.

Harm & Offence

In connection with this heading, you cite a reference the presenter made, asking the film reviewer if she wanted to lie on the “therapists couch.” There is a well-established audience expectation for the presenter’s style which can be robust, provocative, challenging, witty and laconic.

In this context, a caller said the film reviewer should have watched the movie from the standpoint of a child and asked what kind of children’s films the reviewer had watched. This prompted the presenter’s remark which was light-hearted and taken in that spirit.

Offence is entirely subjective and varies from person to person and no one has a right not to be offended. There was no undue offence.

Privacy

There was no breach of these provisions.

Commercial Communications

There was no breach of the provisions in this regard.

If any member of the public is of the opinion that a programme or segment of a programme broadcast on RTÉ has breached a provision of Section 39(1)(a), (b), (d) or (e) of the Broadcasting Act 2009 or failed to comply with a provision of the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland Codes and is not satisfied with RTÉ’s response they are entitled to make a complaint to the BAI. Submissions to the BAI should be made within 14 days of receipt of the reply from RTÉ. Information on codes and on the complaints procedure can be found on the BAI website at http://www.bai.ie/en/viewers-listeners/complaints/.

Kind Regards

xxxxx

Head of Editorial Standards and Compliance

Ceannasaí um Chaighdeáin Eagarthóireachta agus Comhlíonadh

Admin Building, RTÉ, Donnybrook, Dublin D04 P297

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

did it not link in the old one? Sorry trying to figure it all out with new layout

poxy new site

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Wheels On Fire

Why Don't You

Tell Me Lies

You Ought To

Wheels On Fire

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭HoliyMoliy

The news site is a little frustrating!

"Tell me sweet little lies, liar, with your pants on fire"

if de oirish daily starr did today what joe did it wud be terrible.

20 minutes of soft ball questions for de scrote aunt that didnt see nothing when it suited.

and how dare fateen let her slide on poor lad in north dying being similar not its not..

no auntie scrote he was from a nice family not the rat infested 80 year old punching cesspit of a genepool u filth crawled out of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭mountain

“There is a well-established audience expectation for the presenter’s style which can be robust, provocative, challenging, witty and laconic.”

this says so much about the esteem that joe must be held in, at RTE

its farcical that he can behave in the way he does, with it seems, the backing of

“Head of Editorial Standards and Compliance”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,047 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Hmmmm …. In fairness The Dufficer did not support Anne.

Had to pull back, but did make it clear he thought she was an arsehole of the highest order.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,956 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

New thread titles?

• One Foot In the Graveyard.
    • The Truth Decommission.
    • Summer Grunting, Joe came so fast.
    • Come back Katie Hannon; all is forgiven.
    • Rethreading the Boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,825 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Listening back.

Anne just comes across as utterly delusional....the banner....the screwdriver and the torch...she saw them all and thought nothing of them.

The banner was a slogan...ha ha.

Joe didn't really challenge her enough.

300 plus convictions "so they say"...come on..."dey committed their crimes they done their times"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

You just did this so you could find the thread again, admit it ;)

your pink fat lips let go a scream

bad money dies i love the scene

ian brown aka monkey boy song about drug dealer car crashing and burning.very apt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

Is there a ''Head of Janitorial Standards and Compliance'' or a ''Chief Inspector of Toilet cisterns'' one wonders.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭withless

On tomorrow's Liveline; what effect has the crack epidemic in Ballymun had on the mass numbers on a Sunday, we talk to 2 priests and an aul one.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,111 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I watched it on Prime Time, you would swear it was going to take 5 helicopter gunships to go in to catch the dealers in downtown Mogadishu Ballymun.

Joe, I saw a big marble erection in de graveyard and it was a disgrace, Joe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,562 ✭✭✭archfi

Offence is entirely subjective and varies from person to person and no one has a right not to be offended. There was no undue offence.

I agree with this from RTE!

Nice to have something to fallback on when they invariably ignore that stance in certain circumstances.

Also, a pillar of how forums should operate! 😋

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,979 ✭✭✭Jeff2

I vote Brian Scan as new Mod.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,919 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I sense Joe will be getting a few calls from Malta today, outraged tourists moaning about HSE not being an acceptable proof of Vacination (there's a surprise) and being forced into mandatory quarantine and no pool facilities. Maybe Joe might touch base with Frank in Marbella :)

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭NeinNeinNein

Suggested Thread Titles:

1. Liveline: I was reading an article last night that I wrote myself
    2. Liveline: Who's expiring? Is that you Bernie?
    3. Liveline: Dances with fannies
    4. Liveline: I can't believe it's not a garden shed
    5. Liveline: Thread with no name, host with no shame

• Registered Users Posts: 26,919 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Suggested Thread Title

Liveline: Bring your own Hearse, Knives, Bottles, Sticks, Screwdriver, Torch & Errect Marble Statue

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,440 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

Liveline : Philips Head or Flathead Screwdriver, yew Decide

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,922 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

six of them who thought the cards you got on the days of your vaccination would be acceptable. They either didn't bother looking this up in advance, or thought it would not apply to them. Which ever it is, it's their own fault

• Registered Users Posts: 12,956 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

On today's funeral busting edition of Liveline...

• More on the the poor souls of the salta da iirth lads and the evil priest.
    • A clip of Auntie Anne, saying that you hear nowt about bold people from Foxrock doing stuff and shure he was a lubberly family man who wouldn't hurt a fly.*
    • We hear from victims of unrelated burglaries in Foxrock.
    • Mark you cards, M+S is being affected by Brexit and are tired of filling out form to bring in their yummy pork and Percy Pig wares.

All this and more in less than an hours time......

*Please note than he never stole a fly or from a fly and that he now flies hi wiv de angles, princess di, jade goody, two pac and Fred West.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭withless

Some hehh dat day Joe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,562 ✭✭✭archfi

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

Advertisement