Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

I bought property in 2007 and lost 60 per cent of price in 2008

Today my property still cost less 30 per cent than in 2007 and if another recession will hit I will lose another 50

If I wouldn't buy it today I could have more money than my property worth in 2007 and buy more property at money spent

I think guys you live in slightly parallel reality or have memory only for 1 day events

By today prices of some property I still see 20/30% lower prices than in 2007 and many people who took mortgages already spent on interest half price of property they own

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Jmc25

Most people borrow to buy a house and their borrowing capacity is linked to their salary. Based on this fundamental factor, prices flatlined from 2018-2020.

Incomes haven't risen since then but people have been able to save significant sums during the lockdowns which are now being spent on property.

Unless people can keep saving at the rate they did during the lockdowns, they won't have this additional money above what they can borrow to throw at property in the future.

It seems to me that 2018 prices are where prices "should" be right now, based on people's incomes. Everything else is down to factors which are unique and won't last forever ie historically limited supply and large amounts of savings.

Agree this might take a number of years to play out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

You understand that you only realise a loss when you sell? It hasn't gained, nor lost any of its value as long as you continue to own it.

I hope I am not the only one who struggles sometimes to make sense of what you are posting, but you seem to be saying that if you hadn't bought in 2007, you would have more money today, my question to you is, how would you describe the 14 yrs of rent you would have paid up to now, an investment/a loss/savings etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

Worrying about a price crash within the next 10 years is one thing, but what if this is to be your family home for the next three decades? Surely that perspective comes in to it?

We've waited and waited since the start of the pandemic. For the much predicted pandemic dip. All we've seen is prices constantly rising, and bidding getting increasingly competitive, and supply getting worse and worse. I think the only thing that could happen in the next two years is that supply may improve as people move on from pandemic fear. But I don't see a huge drop in prices coming as a result, maybe a moderate one and more choice of housing, that's about it.

In the mean time, we're getting older, living between rental and parents homes, and putting off having children due to not having the space for them, while already in our late 30's. This is a situation faced by many right now. Perhaps paying a premium if you can afford it would be worth it in this case.

It feels like an impossible situation at the moment for people who are just trying to get a family home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭Marius34

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Jmc25

Yes - meant to say no significant increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

I agree but one thing just to add is that the cost of the purchase price is not necessarily the only premium you could be thinking of paying as, whenever the fixed rate period on the mortgage runs, the monthly repayments could be hundreds more per month from very small increases to interest rates (I have only read this and have not done the maths myself (hopefully someone can confirm) but a 1% increase to the interest rate would be something like €3k per year (€250 pm) additional repayments on a €300k mortgage).

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭drogon.

If you look back at the post he was replying to, the user said Where in the developed world are house prices going down? Rising house prices are a near global phenomenon. So I am not sure you actually read what people are replying/commenting on.

Almost a 100% increase from 2014 €440k on ppr). Honestly, the market could sustain 20-30% drops in prices without being described as "crashing". Incredible if this tiny, dated property gets anywhere near the asking, it's terribly for €795k.

Check out this property I found using Daft 

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/semi-detached-house-15-grantham-place-portobello-dublin-8/3471164

I literally quoted what I answered to. The poster stated he will lose "another 50" if another recession hits. The loss only occurs an a property if you sell. I'm not sure if that can be explained any more simply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,020 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

They wouldn't have needed to make it illegal to refuse HAP and similar if the market was "hooked" on it.

Make it to legal to refuse it and see how "hooked" The market is on it..

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭drogon.

I will agree to that, most people that buy property need to realise that it isn't an investment - but rather your home.

Personal choice, but I would much prefer a place like that than a sterile new apartment. A 3 bed house in that location which could be modernised inside, I don't see your issue with it/the price to be honest.

It's tiny, has no garden, half a kitchen, BER D1, is in an area not great for having a family. It's €600k at best but that's mainly due to location.

I'm not sure what new apartments are sterile? Most of the rubbish around Grand Canal Dock, IFSC, Sandyford, built in the 00s is sterile and impractical. New build apartments seem to be extremely well built and serviced with amenities.

I talk not about sell

I talk about I could buy more for same money today

When everybody try tell me that today price is on top high what is not truth

As far I see everybody talk about prices only will go up which is the same truth as prices will falling

Most of you has serious critical thinking shortage and operating lies from media

Also dont forget that building industry are most corrupted industry in a world

The Ireland was heading recession in 2019 and Covid stoped it

The building industry started move forward because printed money from US came to Irish building sites and we have shortage of property due with "bottle neck " effect after Covid because people could not buy property

OK,the property price will rising but this will hit renting market because the more price will rise the less people will afford get mortgage.The less people will afford get mortgage the more people will have renting what will bring price of the rent up

This will seriously affect industries with low paid jobs were we will get labor shortage because high rents .The more wages will have rise the less beef from Ireland will come to Europe market because cheap beef from Poland or Brasil due with good ammount of cheap labor in own countries will push expensive Irish products out.We had this problem in UK,you remeber that ? Same will be in other low paid industries

The bigger salary in Poland and bigger rent in Ireland the more Polish will back home.

The less affordable housing and low wages the more emigration.

Guys,we heading very serious problems.

Also I see builders on mad hurry.I was getting messages from agencies about work about 1 in 4 days.Today I getting 2-3 per day and I started get phone calls from agencies !

Why they hurry if prices will only rise and there is hugh property shortage ?

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Again, had you not bought in 2007, you would have paid rent for 14 yrs up to today, you have no possibility of recovering the amount of rent you have spent during that time.

Over the term of a mortgage, which is typically 20-30 yrs, the cost of buying your property can be expected to fluctuate, that is normal. There is a realistic chance that if you sell your property at the end of the mortgage term, you will recover at least the purchase price, and probably the interest paid on on mortgage, so what is the point of cribbing about the value of your property today if you don't intend to sell today?

As with all properties, it depends on what you are looking for in the area you want to live. You see a tiny property, I see a 3 bed with character and potential in a location close to the city centre. I used to live not far from there, have to say I loved it. I can see why buyers would be interested, it wouldn't suit you, but then where you live might not suit me.

Then we speak about different types of the property.

I telling you about sites I bought when you telling me about house.

If you try tell us about rent then tell us about what part of 1300 mortgage montly payment are part of house and part of interest at 3 per cent interest rate for 350 000 price of the house for mortgage for 25 years :)

When 2 beds rent outside Dublin are 750 per month :)

Something tell me that interest I will pay will be the same as rent I will pay for house and the rest lets say 600 are the payment for cost of the house its self

So I dont see the difference pay 750 interest to bank or for rent and continue save 600 for the house.

Also when I pay for rent I getting fridge for free when in house which I have pay mortgage for I have pay for everything,including loans for kitchens,doors,windows .etc.etc,etc

So if I will leave renting property I will simply looking for another

When losing my property which I have pay mortgage I will have continue pay loans for doors,floors,windows,new kitchen,etc,etc

Renting is saving

Paying mortgage is losing because interest is the same wasted money as rent .Plus buying I will waste money for loans getting house better also overpaying for interest.

The only way to save is buy house. for cash or during crash but notmany of us wil have money saved or will get mortgage if they will lose jobs

Disaster for me!

have been renting a great house for the last few years, waiting to find my ideal house. Owner is now moving back in and I am under pressure to move.

nowhere decent to rent and hardly any properties for sale! Now I understand people having to buy in this terrible market!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

2007 was an awful time to buy property. I can see why you’re so bitter about the property market after that. Luckily for me I couldn’t afford to buy back then. I moved to cork in 2007 and might have been able to afford something there but didn’t want to give my money to a langer.

I didn’t buy until 2015/16. Should I give a toss that my home that I’m never going to sell is worth more than when I bought it? Or should I give a toss that my home I’m never going to sell could well be worth less than what I paid for it at some stage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭greenfield21

I think the probability of a collapse like 08 is low. We now have central banks that are proactive rather than reactive. There is ample liquidity in the system now. There will no doubt be ups and downs along the way.

The rent you pay is saving, paying off the mortgage on your property is losing? Which one of those payments have you a better chance of recovering?

Rough calculation, €350k over 25yrs on a €450k property at 3% works out at an average monthly interest of €480 over the term. The repayment of the principle is around €1100, which is €200 less than the current average rent. Your property would have to rise €145k over the 25 yrs to recover every cent of the interest paid, I'd say there is a reasonable chance of that happening, wouldn't you?

You would also have to consider that your rent would increase significantly during those 25 yrs as your earning potential diminishes. Also, as you approach retirement your home would be paid off, while renting would drain your savings as income comes to a halt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭Underground

Hate to be one of those who speak with erudite certainty but in my view there is no "crash" coming. Housing market is not propped up by cheap credit and an oversupply as it was during the Celtic Tiger.

Right now we have the dual effect of a chronic undersupply and low interest rates which put together are great for increasing house prices.

Not to mention negative interest rates on deposits have been introduced by banks for high net worth customers (ie funds) all over the world meaning those with big money need to find a home for their cash, so we have this ridiculous situation whereby Johnny Wall Street is looking to buy second hand homes in Ballyfermot.

Some think a rise in interest rates will simmer things down a bit. Maybe. In theory it should, according to any economics textbook.

I don't really see any "crash" or substantial cooling off in house prices unless tens of thousands of white collar workers are laid off en masse. That doesn't look like happening either. So we trudge along as we are.

The big question is whether QE can last forever as it needs to, being the reason the whole financial system has not collapsed - house prices are being propped up by QE. It is directly correlated to house prices increasing, to the point where I would say it has caused price increases. With central banks it seems to be a case of "well we've come this far with QE so we might as well continue" but it is hard to view QE as sustainable - it creates a further divide between home owners and non-home owners which will lead to a situation where wealth is stuck in property with no way of extracting it as the money won't be there for individuals to buy the QE inflated property prices. There might appear to be no ceiling for house prices right now but there is an affordabaility ceiling for individual buyers and it maxes out for even very well paid couples once they need to take on a mortgage of more than €600k, which will continue to squeeze prices from the top down as it started to do in 2019.

I read an article today about the Federal Reserve and an acknowledgement of rising House prices in the US, while at the same time saying that house prices in the future are not known. The quote also spoke of demand remaining high even while mortgage rates would go up, but that they have absolutely no clue about supply of housing. What is scary is that these are the gatekeepers and are seemingly oblivious to the fact that their QE actions are fuelling the demand which is causing the unsustainable rise in house prices. The covid dust really needs to settle fast so we can see what sort of mess economies are in but it is worrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭enricoh

"Hate to be one of those who speak with erudite certainty but in my view there is no "crash" coming. Housing market is not propped up by cheap credit and an oversupply as it was during the Celtic Tiger."

The housing market is propped up by government spending on it, even the taoiseach said they are the dominant player now. Whether that is sustainable is the big question. I don't believe it is with the debt the government is in, interest rate increases, corporation tax changes, pension funding requirements etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

The reason the government are the largest single player on the market (not the majority player though) is due to the demand we have to house our people. That’s not going to change even if the government stop spending. People still need to be housed. We don’t have excessive building like we had last time. We don’t have excessive lending that we had last time either. The main risk to the value of properties now is if interest rates rise and make mortgages more expensive. However the demand for housing is not going to drop. If interest rates rise it will just mean less people can afford houses, and put more pressure on the state for housing. Maybe then they’ll build their own and actually own social housing rather than renting it, but the demand won’t go away.

And Yes and No

My friend bought house in 2004 for 220K taking mortgage

Today his house on market worth 200K plus hi lost money paying interest

I was thinking buy one bed house in 2004 which cost 145K which finally been sold for 165K.Same house at same location was for sale at 120K for about 1 year from 2018 to 2020

Why you always say that property price Will Rise and never take on account that property Could lose price ?

Does not matter when you buy the matter is when you sell ! Also dont forget that you losing money pay mortgage ! Same as you losing money paying rent !

So or paying interest to the bank or paying rent you still losing money ! Yes,paying rent I am losing money but I have my house in my sawings ! At same time when paying mortgage I am losing money at interest and getting real house.Same !

If there will be any difference in interest and rent I will simply will play it back buying house during recession for half price

When at same time I will lose at my house price which I paid mortgage for because possibly I will never get my expenses as interest and house price back.

As I wrote above some houses prices did not change since 2004 and are even lower

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

Revolution 1917 the discussion is "2021 Irish Property Market". While occasional comparisons to earlier property prices may be valid you keep posting variations on the same post over and over again. Please stop it.

Please read the thread title and opening post again and join the discussion if you wish to continue posting.

Do not reply to this post.

Your friend would have had to pay rent for 17 yrs if he/she had not bought a home, even if the price if the house has dropped by €20k, he will have paid off a considerable chunk of the principle over that 17 yrs and will recover most of that when the property sells, on the other hand there is no recovery of 17 yrs rent, so relatively speaking, your friend would have "lost" considerably more by renting for 17 yrs than by owning an asset which has depreciated by 10%, but where he/she will be getting back a chunk of money as the outstanding mortgage is probably around 75k.

I don't say property will always rise, in fact Im saying the opposite, over the term of a mortgage the price of the property will go up and down based on the normal cycles which occur in the property market. But you only receive less than you paid if you sell on a downturn, until you sell you have neither gained nor lost. So you have not lost 30 - 50% of your investment just because property prices are lower than in 2007, unless you sell today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Timing belt

The only way demand will drop is if there is large scale emigration out of Ireland or if the projected immigration figures are totally overcooked. As you say people sill need to live somewhere...

Advertisement