Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celtic FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

Any update on Matt Ryan coming in ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Is Luca Connell injured? Strange not to see him named on the bench even though he was named in the A list. Assume others were missing too with Murray and Montgomery being named.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

Exactly what I was thinking at the time when Dreyer was sent off. Although what I was thinking was the ref saw the first incident at half time and saw it should have been offside. I mean it was not even close he was well offside so the ref was maybe evening things up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Murray & Montgomery would've been on the B list of players which is players under 21 that have been at the club for 3 or 5 year(can't remember which)

Good to see we have Starfelt wrapped up immediately after Ajer moves, should've been done earlier to allow him to play in this round but still faster than we're used to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Cracking chest and volley for McGregor.... goal of the season so far

Forrest misses a sitter and then dreadful defending to make it all square again

We are still pathetic 2-1 to Midtiylland

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Not surprised, and to be honest, no way did I fancy us playing PSV if we had got through. Of course we'll equalise and go through on penalties now!!😄

To be honest the focus has to be the rebuild, we've got new players who haven't even joined the team yet. Ange needs time to put a solid team together. Goalkeeper is the biggest concern for me, as well as a lack of fire power if/when Edouard goes. Pretty weak in defence also, but hopefully the new Swede will help us there.

The decline and mismanagement of the club over the last few years has been shocking.

• Advertisement

Edouard should not be playing, he is so disinterested and lazy it is unreal

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Agreed on both, Edouard clearly wants to be elsewhere so should be benched. As for the board, I don't know how many signals they need to get their ass in gear, but existing the CL qualifiers for 4 seasons in a row against pretty mediocre opposition has to be a sign that things are not right.

The more I see of the current situation, the more I fear a prolonged spell of not winning trophies and being dumped out of Europe by teams I've hardly heard of. I do think Ange has the right approach, and it was very clear from his post match interview last night that he wasn't blaming the players on the park, he was blaming the lack of talent all over the park. I'd say easily 75% of our signings of late have been poor, which is a terrible position to be in, and now we are seeing the results of that.

Ange seemed to give some insight into the frustrations he has with the board after the game saying that he has put forward the case for strengthening the squad to the board but maybe they haven't heard or understood how important that it. Looking at the team that started last night its hard to pick more than 2 or 3 players I think are up to the required standards to be regular starters for the coming season.

In the transfer window last Jan we sold our 2 right backs and still 7 months later we don't have a replacement for either, not surprising when we have no recruitment department!

The whole back 5 last night are nowhere near good enough to be regular starters this season. All of the talk from McKay about putting in place a proper structure looks to be PR bu!!**** to get the season ticket money in with no substance. We have replaced Lennon with Ange but everything else is the same or worse.

I'm expecting a very tough season ahead for us and we'll be fighting Hibs and Aberdeen rather than challenging for the title IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Hard luck lads. It’s a disappointing night for the club and indeed all of Scottish football to see Celtic exit at stage of the competition. It was never going to be easy, but looking at the team, you’d have to think they had enough about them to get through, particularly middle to front. The defence is clearly the area in most need of strengthening. Long way to go, it’s important everyone gets behind Ange, for the moment at least.

What do folk think of Joe Hart as a potential signing? Personally, I think he would be a big step up from current incumbents. He is a young man, particularly as far as a GK is concerned, has plenty of ability and clearly a few points to prove?

It truly is. Of course nothing can last forever and our amazing run had to end some time but the speed not just with which it ended but the utter collapse of the team to the complete shambles we are now is quite remarkable. 100% on the board the state we are in right now IMHO and not an Ange.

I would be shocked now that we are officially out of the Champions League if both Edouard and Christie are not on the way out the door soon. Neither want to be here so the sooner the better as far as I am concerned.

I think both were likely to leave either way Eire, regardless of Champions League qualification or not. I don’t think it would make good financial sense for Celtic to let them run down their contracts. They need to get funds in to help Ange and the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭DavidLyons_

Fcuk it. Bring Hart in, he’s better than what we have albeit possibly still not good enough but those tw@ts in the boardroom need to get moving with their transfer dealings pronto and start supporting Ange and give the man a fighting chance.

Get Edouard and Christie to fcuk and the buy Ange the players he wants and who would like to play for us.

Can’t wait for the 8pm kick off. The atmosphere up there is always nice and hostile when we visit. Bring it on.

’Mon the fcuking Celtic!!!

• Advertisement

If Ange wants to bring Hart in, then absolutely, Celtic should back his judgement to the hilt and sign him. He would be an improvement in all likelihood. You only need to look across the city to see that age is but a number. Joe Hart is a young man in goalkeeper terms.

Team in for tonight's game, Starfelt & Bitton back in which is probably a little harsh in Welsh. Interesting to see Kyogo on the bench

https://twitter.com/CelticFC/status/1421527432251809801?s=19

Well our defending hasn't improved, all over the place and Starfelt and Bitton were very poor for the goal. As well as that our midfield was very slow getting back to help out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Terrible first half of football from the hoops but not surprising unfortunately.

7/2 odds for hearts had me interested and I can't remember ever backing against Celtic before.

Plenty of possession but Hearts look just as likely to score. Turnbull has been awful with his passing and shooting, Édouard wanting 20 touches instead of passing or shooting. Not convinced Soro is the answer in midfield either.

Ralston must've borrowed someone's boots for the 2nd half! What a goal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Robbed there of a goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

You can only watch this shite and question the ownership of the club there is no way they are driving the club forward on the field.

they’ve allowed rangers rebuild themselves and surpass them, shame on them shame on them

What a difference having a decent goalkeeper makes to a team and we let him go for nothing.

It's going to be a long tough season for us

I thought Celtic were unlucky, they should have gone 2-1 up, but linesman got the call wrong in my view. But still, very poor defending at the end. You can’t legislate for that. It’s going to take some time for Ange to get his philosophies across, I must say he comes across really well in interviews. Doesn’t take any nonsense from the interviewer. As others have noted, Gordon was the difference at the end.

The first "honest mistake" of the new season also lets not forget the tackle by Halliday on McGregor not even a yellow for what was a straight red tackle IMHO. No question we are an utter shambles at the moment and IMHO that lies with the incredible mismanagement and incompetence of the board but also no question the above played a massive part on Saturday.

• Advertisement

Joe Hart joining on a 3 year deal, obviously hasn't played a lot of football recently but was an excellent keeper and taking a big pay cut to join so hopefully it'll work out.

Hopefully the fact he is willing to take such a significant pay cut means he is really focused on his game and getting back to his best. It is a gamble no question but clearly Bain is nothing more then a decent backup and Barkas well sadly it just has not worked out and he should bs sold. Given how cheap the Hart deal is for us we should be able to pay for it and then some by selling Barkas alone.

It was an incredibly tight call Eire, it was not an easy decision to make in any way shape or form. I wouldn’t blame the linesman over it. I can absolutely understand how a linesman could call that offside, given the players arm being so far ahead. But it was the wrong call at a crucial time of the game. This is where VAR comes into its own, despite the criticisms of it. There were some meaty challenges, no doubt, it was a proper game.

Hart & James McCarthy confirmed. Not sure about the McCarthy signing, has talent but with his fitness issues could be an expensive mistake.

https://twitter.com/CelticFC/status/1422573341035139073?s=19

I like the McCarthy signing he is exactly what we need quality wise in the 6 role as while Soro is decent he is not IMHO ready to be our everyday starter there. Now he can learn in training from McCarthy and given the number of games we play he can still get a fair number of starts say over a season two thirds McCarthy one third Soro so kind of a way to ease Soro into the team. No question given McCarthy's injury record it is a gamble but we did not pay a transfer fee and he has the quality and given his background he knows what it means to play for Celtic so for me this is a gamble but one worth taking.

McCarthy is only 30, seems like he has been around for ages. I remember him being linked with Celtic early in his career. Has to be a good signing you would think, was the length of contract a bit on risky side? The board certainly seem to be getting behind Ange.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭DavidLyons_

Team for this afternoon, Hart, Ralston, Bitton, Starfelt, Taylor, Soro, McGregor, Turnbull, Abada, Furuhashi, Forrest 

Subs: Barkas, Bain, Ajeti, Christie, Rogic, Edouard, Urhoghide, Robertson, Murray, Montgomery, Welsh.

Hart starting and Edouard dropped. Happy to see that.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭polarbearhead

What a miss by Turnbull 😳

2 quick goals. Furuhashi with a cracker. Playing great stuff

2-1 at half time. Should be well ahead. Bitton and Starfelt badly caught out for their goal. Look very vulnerable defensively

• Advertisement

3-2,defensively a shambles again

Major overhaul of the defence needed

Delighted Ange gets his first win. Ok lots to improve on, especially in defence, but there are positives to take from that also with two new bhoys getting on the score sheet. Abada and Furuhashi both look to be decent buys.

Considering Hart has literally been thrown in to the team, I'd not be too hard on him for their second goal. I think he'll fit right in as he settles over the next few games. Delighted with him there now tbh, Barkas was our weakest position in the team and that's saying something.

You know my view on Bitton, he's never a defender and I'll always hide behind the couch when he's playing there. Definitely need to bring in full backs, and another CB imo as cover. Hopefully Jullien will be back soon, and he and Starfelt can form a good partnership.

Hartson ripped into the Celtic defence after the game today, thought he was a bit OTT to be honest but I do get his point. A new manager, a new system, players being thrown into the team.... it's going to take a while to gel, but I'm a lot happier now than I was a couple of weeks ago. We'll come right if the board continue to back Ange and get him the players he needs.

Great result. This tie is over! It was a very decent night for Celtic and indeed Scottish football in general. Magnificent touch and finish by the new signing, his movement and technical ability will be excellent I have a feeling. 👍🏻

No question about that although I would say we seem a bit lightweight in midfield as well. I am not convinced by Soro as been able to be the every day 6 for us. Really hoping McCarthy can find his top form there. Serious lack of height in the team too not just backline. Hart helps with that and Jullien will too when he returns but we still badly need a new quality centre back and right and left back preferably ones that would give us some more height too.

We badly need a bit of muscle in the team, a couple of imposing players that add a bit of bite to the side. Players like Brown and Lustig are a big loss on that side of the game

We definitely lack height and muscle in the team at the moment no question about that. Even the most fluent and flowing sides have to have some of each for balance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

That’ll be the Scottish League back on again after it finished last weekend.

Advertisement