Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Paperwork Car - how long to keep for

Options
  • 21-07-2021 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I had a quick search but couldn't find a similar thread.

How long should I keep the paper work for a car.

For example I've recently changed car, had the old one for about 10 years. I keep all the insurance stuff, since it is proof of no-claims.

I had kept all of the service receipts from the mechanic but now with the new car I can't think of any reason to keep them.

What about tax disks,or the receipt of tax disks, I'm leaning towards tossing them but thought that I'd check here first.

Does anyone have any rule or thumb for this thing or did anyone encounter a weird situation that made you wish that you had held onto something?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭athlone573

I can't think of any reason to keep anything beyond the log book, insurance cert, service history, nct cert, and the car manual.

Its all pretty much computerised nowadays and you can get replacements if damaged by third party fire or theft.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭whippet

I'm a bit anal with that sort of stuff

the last car I got rid of I had from new for 10 years.

every single bit of paperwork was in the folder ... original sales quote and order docket, all service records, receipts for bulbs, NCT certs wipers, tyres, repairs etc.

along with all old tax, insurance, NCT discs

it was a lovely folder and I felt really sad handing the lot over !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭Miscreant

I usually hand over the service printouts and any other documentation I have for the car when selling on. Old tax disks are left in the tax disk holder inside the car anyway so that is never an issue for me. I never bother keeping the tax disk receipts once I have received the disk.

Unless you are changing insurance regularly then I wouldn't worry about keeping the certs either. You can anyways call the insurance company for a copy but as most come by email these days, they don't take up any space to keep.

If you want to keep the old service information for sentimental reasons then that is fine, otherwise shred it as you're needlessly keeping hold of old information for something you no longer own.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭phelimb

I'm the same!

I passed on a car I had for 17 years and had a folder with every piece of documentation in it. I gave the new owner all I had such as tax discs, NCT certs and receipts for everything and they were well impressed. It didn't necessarily add much to the selling price...but it helps.

For my current car, the previous owner had likewise and even had a receipt for a small bottle of touch up paint for a chip repair (7 euro or thereabouts) and also gave me the bottle.

Once you sell a car then there is no need to keep anything - but I do keep the insurance stuff, the rest is handed over with the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

Thanks all for the replies, looks like I've got a lot of shredding to do (also need to buy one).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

He sold the Car in question. Surely he passed on the NCT Cert, manual, etc to the new owner, and sent the log book (VLC) off to Shannon.....

Advertisement