Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours/Champions League Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

With Villa firing in bids for ESR and Tammy, and having already spent 35m on Buendia, I do have to wonder.... could this level of spending be possible under the FFP rules if the club don't sell Grealish?

You'd have to imagine those three players would combine to ~100m territory?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Neil3030 wrote: »
    With Villa firing in bids for ESR and Tammy, and having already spent 35m on Buendia, I do have to wonder.... could this level of spending be possible under the FFP rules if the club don't sell Grealish?

FFP is being majorly relaxed this summer due to covid. I am sure that is one of the reasons why Villa are continuing to spend big. they are one of the few non City/Chelsea/Utd type clubs that can take advantage of this.

I'm also not sure Villa have put in a bid for Tammy and if they do I would doubt they would start at the reported 40m price considering Tuchel clearly isn't interested in him (didn't make the squad for FA or CL finals despite being fit).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Is FFP not obsolete with the level of **** housery city ran rings around it and via the courts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Fairly confident that we're not going to be signing both Smith Rowe and Tammy. If we did and it was the only other transfers, we'd still probably be only around the same investment as the last 2 summers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

That lad named Jack just added a few extra quid onto his value.

Esse85 wrote: »
    That lad named Jack just added a few extra quid onto his value.

A few extra grand onto his new contract ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

He needs to tone it down or every club in the europe will be after him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

sc86 wrote: »
    He needs to tone it down or every club in the europe will be after him

Nobody can afford him.

If he decides its time to leave then somebody will afford him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

I found out today, Ashley young resigned for villa. He is a Serie A winner but who is the last Serie A medal holder to play for Villa?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,352 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

I found out today, Ashley young resigned for villa. He is a Serie A winner but who is the last Serie A medal holder to play for Villa?

Laursen? Did he win one before leaving italy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Brian201888

He did indeed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Laursen? Did he win one before leaving italy?

That was my answer as well but just didn’t know if there was another more recently.

A lot of links with a 3rd bid for ESR in the region of 32.5-35m today.

I’d wager that maybe the final bid but they really must be getting encouragement from somewhere and you would hope it isn’t just yo drive up his new contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Brian201888

If we could end up with Grealish, ESR, Buendia behind Watkins we would have to genuinely be looking at a top 6 push. Would leave central midfield as the only position you wouldn't be extremely confident in and even that has good options

• Advertisement

If we could end up with Grealish, ESR, Buendia behind Watkins we would have to genuinely be looking at a top 6 push. Would leave central midfield as the only position you wouldn't be extremely confident in and even that has good options

More links to Winks from Spurs today too, don't think he is the right move myself and would be much more interested in the Ward Prowse link to fill that position if someone was to be brought in but one would be far more easily gotten away from his club you'd imagine and it wouldn't be JWP.

Tuanzebe once again being linked with a return to Villa Park also as the Engels replacement in the squad.

Tuanzebe isn't going to swap the bench at old Trafford for the bench at Villa Park.

He needs to be playing every week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

2 young and talented players signed today it seems. This is really what i find the most exciting about how our club is now being run under our current ownership. At last we have seen the value to go and get the best young talent that exists in England. Chukewemake being one that could make the club a fortune in the future after signing him from Northampton a few years ago. The fact we now also seem capable of beating bigger teams for these signings is a great signal of the clubs ambitions.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/josh-feeney-aston-villa-transfer-20985995

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/aston-villa-set-to-complete-transfer-swoop-for-west-brom-youngster/

CucaFace wrote: »
    2 young and talented players signed today it seems. This is really what i find the most exciting about how our club is now being run under our current ownership. At last we have seen the value to go and get the best young talent that exists in England. Chukewemake being one that could make the club a fortune in the future after signing him from Northampton a few years ago. The fact we now also seem capable of beating bigger teams for these signings is a great signal of the clubs ambitions.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/josh-feeney-aston-villa-transfer-20985995

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/aston-villa-set-to-complete-transfer-swoop-for-west-brom-youngster/

First guy there, Feeney 6'4" at 16. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Going in the right direction alright 7 of the U23 squad just signed professional contracts of up to 5 years.

Load of signings for the women's team also

• Advertisement

Wow just watched Emi Martinez in a shootout for Argentina in the Copa. What a sh*t stirrer! Completely psyched out 2 Colombian lads by just talking what I assume was complete crap in the build up to their penalties. I'll see if I can find a video tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭remoteboy

Not a fan of the new look, being in groups etc but... The Villa Thread is back!

So the club have been doing great work signing young / academy players. I think they got West Brom's best academy player and Bournemouth's (made his Championship debut just 37 days after turning 16. Ajani Burchall) in the past week. they have also had a bid turned down from Northampton for Carney's 19yr old brother (a striker) who also seems to be very highly rated. Recently linked to Everton's really highly rated 16 year old LB thierry Small also (who again made a first team appearance last year in the cup).

When it comes to the senior side. You gotta think a replacement for Heaton & Engels will be signed but the strongest links continue to be with Argentinian Julian Alvarez who reports have Villa preparing a 10-12m bid for (while supposedly around 20m would activate a release clause). Milan seem to have replaced Ajax in reports also as the other team linked but if what is being written has any truth in it, his agent has already been in England and talks have been held.

Similarly it seems it was confirmed that talks took place with FC Metz for Pape Matar Sarr but they have been suspended as the Premier League side ‘weren’t offering enough’. Wouldn't mind a CM as even if it seems like we are well stocked there it might be a while before we see Luiz who will need a break after being at the Copa America and now heading off to the Olympics with Brazil.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

Well here's a good bargain 🙄

• Watch live coverage of all five pre-season matches, plus 12 months access to Premium content on VillaTV (normally £19.99) - £34.99

Traffic is flying in here :)

I see Milwaukee won the NBA playoffs last night. I remember someone posted an interesting article on here a while back about how Edens did everything he could to keep Antetokounmpo at the Bucks. If he doesn't already, hopefully this will encourage him to take the same approach with Grealish.

Is grealish going or not , media now saying hes not.

Was he ever?

I see were linked with another 30 million player now from germany

Leon Bailey being linked. I’m not expecting it but it’d be some show of intent if he was signed and him, Beundia & Grealish behind Watkins would be awesome.

Ive never really thought Grealish was going anywhere and there was a whole load of bull plop written by people with no inside info who had to fill column inches.

He will probably sign another new contract for around 150k a week and continue as the King of Birmingham.

City’s priority should be a CF. Villa have rich owners who know the statement selling him would make. Unlike Kane Grealish has never suggested he wants to leave. City are well stocked in Grealish’s position with the likes of Sterling, De Bruyne, Mahrez & Foden, all of whom wouldn’t want to step down to the likes of Spurs (city wouldn’t sell to UTD) and others who maybe they would consider don’t have the cash like Barca & Madrid.

4-0 in our first friendly.

2 goals for Ollie, both assisted by Buendia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Both assists were fantastic balls. Hard to tell anything from a pre season game but looking forward to seeing what buendia can do

Wesley also had a good assist in the second half

• Advertisement

Is hourihane back in the fold ? Played full second half.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I'd imagine they'd look to sell or loan him out, though doesn't seem like Smith fancies Sanson in his place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Patser

Link to the goals last night. Great to see Watkins and Buendia forming a relationship straight away. Also lots of youngsters getting game time. Wesley and Davis as twin tower attack 2nd half also good as a completely different tactical option

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I see Luiz is in Brazil's Olympic Squad. He is going to need a big rest.

True. Though I don't think he played much during the Copa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Need cover for Konsa, right footed CB required.

Personally I'd like a striker as cover for Watkins as I don't rate Wes or Davis but I don't think it will happen.

Looks like a pacey winger who can play across the front is a target and where the money will be spent.

I'd also like a new DM but again I don't think it will happen.

Heaton, Barkley, Trez, Elmo, Engels, Taylor all gone/injured from last year.

Buendia, Young, Wes, Guilbert all back/new in the squad, some youth team players to be included too.

Expect Conor to leave, with Davis and Ramsey to go out on loan.

Slightly disappointed with that, had hoped we'd of made a few more signings especially in midfield as Luiz, McGinn, Nakamba have all proved limited enough and easy to dominate.

I would be really worried if Watkins/Martinez got injured, the gap between them and their replacements is huge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

Julian Alvarez bid going in "before the end of the week" is being reported on BL.

Looks a tidy enough player.

Meanwhile football insider, however reliable they are, are reporting that Villa are in advance talks to sign Todd Cantwell from Norwich and in a seperate story have had an initial bid of 30m rejected by Leverkusen for Leon bailey.

Between those two Alvarez and the continued links to Dwight McNeil recently, it really does seem like something is going to happen with an attacker soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

A few places claiming Everton and Palace are bidding for Nakamba.

I actually like him and would keep him at the club.

• Advertisement

At the money being reported and with the fact that Luiz will miss the start of the season after the Olympics (and the Copa America) I really can't see that happening. He is a very handy player to have in the squad who made some good contributions last season and imo unless we make a signing like Prowse of Pape Matar Sarr then I could see him being even more involved this season.

Vs Stoke:

VILLA: Steer; Cash, Bogarde, Hause, A.Young; McGinn (c), Nakamba, Buendia; A.Ramsey, Watkins, El Ghazi.

Subs: Sinisalo (gk), Marschall (gk), Guilbert, Konsa, S.Revan, Targett, Chrisene, Hourihane, J.Ramsey, Chukwuemeka, Philogene-Bidace, Wright, Davis, Wesley.

Reports linking Villa ( and Lazio) to PSG's Rafinha as PSG try to move on some players after all the big signings they have made and an interesting thing to note about Leverkusen’s Leon Bailey is that he was reportedly offered to Premier League clubs. You would assume that is by his agent and not his cliub who are supposed to have turned down a 30m bid from Villa but it would indicate that he would v ery much so be interested in joining the club and that they might have a strong idea of how much he might cost.

Well 2-0 down early in second half.

Two very good goals against the general run of play but still the same old failings from some of our players.

FT 2-0.

Wesley got sent off quite rightly for sticking his face into a Stoke player. No excuses and left us with 10 men for the last half an hour.

Not much to get excited about at all. We were swanning about and second to the ball a lot of the time and when we did manage to get a foot in it was generally late and lazy.

Really have my doubts about Wesley. Was at his first game (away to Spurs a few years back) and he spent way too much time on the ground or complaining. I know he’s lost a huge chunk of his Villa career to injury but looking at him again today it was the same old, same old. If we could get money for him I’d take it in a heartbeat. I know we’d have to replace him but there’s gotta be players out there with a better attitude worth taking a punt on.

On another note did anyone pick up last year’s jersey? I’m trying to figure out sizing - the Kappa jerseys are supposed to be super tight. I’m 6 foot tall with a 38” waist and a 42” chest (my mom says I’m a catch 😂). I’m generally a large but reckon I’m probably gonna be an XL in Kappa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

They are quite tight yeah. In other news, it is almost tragic how dead this place has gone since the forum change.

It’s a crying shame what this update has done to the website. Dead as disco now. I’m trying to post more to compensate but it feels like pissing in the wind.

Yeah similar here, don't wanna just post for no reason but as much as people might want to say it's the off season etc nope it's usually far busier than this. The platform change and botched return did it.

No idea why they decided to change this to the groups section as apposed to where it was nor if they will ever revert it back but Soccer was certainly one of the busiest forums and this has to contribute to a loss of users. Hopefully discussion worthy news will bring them back to check in and see if the place has improved and is worth posting in... as I've been posting on boards for over 20 years now and can't see it stopping even if I preferred the auld site.

Oxford's 23yr old GK Jack Stevens now being linked. Luiz was sent off at the Olympics in what is being called one of the worst VAR calls ever. Apparently he was given a dodgy enough yellow that VAR then decided to overturn and upgrade to a red!

Yeah. Absolute joke of a decision

Jaysus that is bad. I mean I could understand if the ref made a mistake as he was at a bad angle and the player dived but for Var to have a look at it and then not only not overturn the decision in Luiz's favor but instead to upgrade the punishment is hard to understand.

Strangely having watched almost nothing of Leverkusen and thus seeing him playing much I think I am more excited by the links to Bailey than any other recent links including the likes of Smith Rowe. Especially now that it would seem and official bid was made - at least it has been reported that 25m was turned down, so the intent to sign him is truly there. Maybe they will follow the ESR blueprint and put in a 30m bid next. Honestly think he would be a real statement signing and assuming Grealish didn't go anywhere would show how much the club has progressed. It would also take so much of the pressure and responsibility off Jack's shoulders with Bailey & Beundia alongside him in AM.

• Advertisement
Advertisement