Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soldier F

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭indioblack

What transpired on that day is generally accepted. Your charge is that the army was sent there specifically to commit murder.

Welll,they were told to get some kills?

The recording of the army coms after it,is widely available.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Miniegg

Awful but what on earth is the relevance to soldier F or his victims?

Are you saying those who were murdered in BS and BM were linked to the above? Because they weren't, they were innocent people like you and I.

Or are you saying those who think solider F, his batallion, and those who covered up the murders of innocent people are automatically IRA supporters and/or condone the murder of the children you mentioned above?

Why are you so against Britain releasing its documents on this? Why are you against them putting soldier f, his fellow "soldiers" and those who facilitated and covered up his murders on trial.

Please try and explain it without asking me to defend the IRA or SF as they are irrelevant and I have nothing at all to do with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Shebean

We know they committed acts of murder. We know the British government covered up these murders for decades. Now they are officially seeming to acknowledge this, they want to forget it ever happened, after the victims families spent decades being smeared and ignored. Nothing short of disgusting on the part of the British. Our government should be taking action. Raise it with the UN. Make it a key issue when meeting with any British politicians.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Colum Eastwood named Soldier F in Parliament. Colum's a hero for doing this. Too long the British definition of justice has been applied to this murderer.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-foyle-west-57863054

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Actually like to correct this last statement, it is bullcr** in the extreme.

The British and indeed the other Allies in no way followed Nazis to the end of the earth to bring them to justice for their crimes.

They chased a few particular ones, but they all colluded with the German authorities and a lot of the worse murdering bast***s ended up in cushy jobs in Germany and elsewhere.

Most of the Einsatzgruppen formed to carry out the mass slaughters in Eastern Europe sailed back into their old jobs in the security services and police.

In the last few decades states made great bones about going after an accounts clerk in Aushwitz and some other minor guards and soldiers all the while over the years they let high ranking guards and officials sail off into the sunset.

And to show how fooked up Germany was, the widow of the butcher of Prague, Reinhard Heydrich, the most unrepentant Nazi c u n t until her death got a state pension from West Germany because of her evil husband's army service.

As for soldier F there was never any way the Brits were going to go after one of their own, the army has to many high ranking connections in blighty to allow that ever occur.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

The constant equivocation is so tiresome.

Why can't they just accept and discuss the facts as they are and as they have been been admitted by the British State, but no, we must bring up the IRA at every opportunity.

It's transparent and pathetic. It would be more honourable and courageous for our Partitionist cohort to just say "I don't care about the State killing its citizens".

We're constantly told how the North is British, and yet when it comes to the facts of State terror within that jurisdiction, it becomes a very Irish and a place apart. Funny that!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

I was trying to find my way back to this thread and ended up getting lost in the new site, it seems Current Affairs under After Hours has one thread and this forum has been moved.

Very suspicious me thinks.

Now if it wasn't for all the threads being moved around one might even be tempted to start a thread in Conspiracy Theories (that is if one could find the forum nowadays) about the British intelligence services moving discussion threads around on an Irish internet discussion site to dissuade people from discussing things about them and their history. ;-)

I am not allowed discuss …

It would be difficult to debate those three decades of recent history without mentioning the IRA or it's variants.

Bloody Sunday did not happen in a vacuum. The opening of the Saville Inquiry goes to great length to detail the history and background within which Bloody Sunday occurred. One person's deflection is another persons context.

Perhaps these posters you describe haven't acknowledged you're charge of indifference to people's deaths because they aren't indifferent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Shebean

Why the constant need by some to divert talk on the thread topic? Why the unwillingness to discuss Soldier F, the British government smear campaign against the victims and the plan to continue the cover up by granting amnesty?

As has been pointed out constantly, due to posts such as your own, these victims and their families had no IRA connection. Soldier F murdered them. The British government covered by smearing the families and murdered.

We can discuss the topic without the need to give a broader context which we are all painfully aware of. It's pure derailment.

There is a post in this thread that states that the Army was sent to specifically murder people. The opening post makes an odious comparison to Nazis.

Deflection? Context?

As for soldier F - from what I've read I'd say there is sufficient evidence for a trial to go ahead. If this happens in the future it will presumably be a formality. Whether this will be satisfactory I'm not sure.

The british commited war crimes in ireland and changed the statue of limits to cover it up....the nazi comparison is valid to my eyes

• Registered Users Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭Odhinn

The army were sent in with the knowledge that deaths would occur, that being the practice across the "empire".

If you're going to describe them as British, then identify the Nazis as German. Most members of the NSDAP were German.

Your comment is as useless as me claiming "The Irish murdered people" - with no explanation or definition.

With regard to this thread, there was a crime - not a "war crime".

If what you claim is true, it's hardly surprising - since deaths had "occurred" before. As for empires, google "empires". They have been the default position for most of recorded history.

We aren't debating three decades of recent history, we are debating soldier F and his victims, and the British government coverup.

I'm sure that it is tiresome for you that I need to repeat this, but the IRA had absolutely nothing to do with Bloody Sunday or Ballymurphy. These massacres led to the rise of the provisional IRA and the subsequent troubles, but you can't blame what happened after these events to what happened before.

The protesters were looking for equal rights in an apartheid state, run by the loyalist majority and facilitated by the British Government. The protesters involved in BS weren't violently rebelling against Britain (as the IRA do). They had nothing to do with with the IRA. The people killed in Ballymurphy weren't protesting against anything at all, just going about their lives. Many people in Catholic areas cheered when the British army first came to the North as they thought the army would protect them from violent loyalism. The IRA are completely irrelevant to these people.

The only reason you can make it relevant (in my eyes) is that to the victims were Catholics?

Some of the victims in Ballymurphy who were killed by soldier F were themselves either British army veterans (one who had lost a hand in service), or relations of veterans. Why are some veterans (soldier F) protected, and others (John McKerr) demonized as IRA bombers?

It is indeed true. No idea what you're trying to say re empire.

I for one can see a distinction between Nazi's and Germans (I know that some people can't, fair enough).

From what I can see, 95% of Germans are horrified of what happened in their past, at least very much so politically. Swastika's, Nazism, Mein Kempf etc all illegal in the country. As far as I know, they aren't still trying to cover-up prosecutions of Nazi's, smear Jewish victims, they aren't trying to say "it happened along time ago, forget about it". They also don't try to equivocate Nazi victims to those who violently resisted Nazism in Germany.

The British government have actively refused to prosecute a murderer of it's own innocent citizens (because the victims happened to be ethnically Irish?). They refuse to prosecute those who ordered the killings, those who covered it up, and those who smeared the victims. They have participated in this for 50 years. When it became an almost legal impossibility for them not to prosecute, they sought to change the laws. So I see the British Government now, and the British Government then, as one and the same (though I do recognize relationships are alot better, I'm sure the Irish political influence in USA is more to do with this than the IRA however).

People aren't saying all British people support their stance on BM and BS victims (many aren't aware of it, some as indicated above, are ethnically Irish). But, the government is democratically elected by the British people. As such, it is easier to say "the British".

Is it not common to refer to democratically elected governments by their national title in all walks of life?

What would yous call shooting unarmed protesters and finishing off injured protesters on the ground

Labeling em.as bombers and gunmen for 40 years and covering it up,and then changing the laws to allow em away with it.

Looks to me a war crime anyway....soldier f murdered 4 people that day and the british have deemed it ok....of north decended into violence again,whats to stop em doing it again?

• Advertisement

Lots have awful things have happened throughout recorded history.

Rape, theft, violence...Murder (arguably) being the worst.

They are an unfortunate part of human nature. That is why we, who operate in civilized society, have laws to deal with them.

I'm not sure what a soldier shooting dead his own fellow innocent citizens has to do with "empire" though?

Or what the government covering it up has to do with it?

Or why a country (that is definitely no longer an empire) want's to change it's fundamental laws so that outright murder is not prosecuted.

Yes. The thread is about soldier F - you'll find my opinion concerning him in an earlier post. And I would agree that the people killed and wounded posed no threat to those who fired at them.

Considering the backdrop to that day, as you have done in your post, is valid.

I know. I don't understand what you were trying to say.

And Hitler's party was elected in the same way. By the German electorate. The distinction between the Nazis and Germans is those who were members of the party and those who supported it - and those who didn't. Put bluntly, in 1945 the Germans had no choice other than to be appalled at the consequences of the Third Reich - it was all around them. I don't recall any inquiries into the actions of the state during Hitler's years.

If you bother to look you'll find my opinions of soldier F and Bloody Sunday in this thread.

As for empire - that was a response to an earler post that mentioned it. I'd agree it has little relevance to this thread.

I wasn't sure what the reference to "empire", as you put it, had to this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

David James Cleary

• Advertisement

Britain used troops to police it's various colonies and territories, with all the brutality that entails. There was nothing unique in what they did in NI, save that it occurred under the very close view of Western European News reporting.

Advertisement