Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2021 General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭glightning

p.s. I take great pride in seeing the various European sun destinations and US cities that haven't been matching us lately. Of course, they beat us 99% of the time. But that just makes this past week or so all the more special and enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭External Association

Thank you. 100% the day right. I looked at that chart out of curiosity and can see that. I wonder did he come home feeling muggyand hot. The way my dad told the story I figured it was sunny and very warm. Interesting. Maybe my dad had the weather of that summer mixed up, the way memory can play tricks on you.

I went to the Irish Independent and Irish Press archive weather forecast for the day and it was 'some rain and close'. Maybe the clot coming on his body was feeling the weather differently. It was 19 years before I was born. I looked up to see was there a cattle fair in Castlecomer, and there was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

I watched the forecast on bbc just now. They expect the record could be broken again tomorrow. Warmest across West Ulster and Mid Ulster. 32c on the map and the weather forecaster said it was a first for her. They don't expect any showers to break out tomorrow so that will help. I guessed 32.5c yesterday for this spell here, a good bit to go to match that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

24c in galway. cntish

• Registered Users Posts: 48,129 ✭✭✭✭km79

Dear god it’s so humid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Still 21.8C in Castlebar with 87% humidity, rooms that I don't have fans on are showing over 30C.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Lying out in the garden with a nice cold beer and the temperature is just perfect. One of those very rare nights in Ireland where there's zero chill in the air.

Edit: And just as a bonus I've accidentally just seen a pass of what I assume is the ISS directly overhead!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

I for one do not look on in envy at places that suffer this sort of weather regularly.

This sort of weather loses its appeal very quickly, and at this point is becoming downright unbearable.

New Moon

Must be a 10c temperature difference from the bottom of the stairs to the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

The 11pm temp readings on ME are a sight to behold! 15 of the 25 stations still are 20 or above with Valentia and Shannon holding at 23C. Tropical night indeed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

A high of 30.5c recorded in @DurrowLaois this afternoon! That's five days in a row with highs above 29c!!! #HeatWave2021 #Ireland https://t.co/Olo58qs4rX

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Rougies

In D.16 the house is still hot sweaty balls, or hot sweaty underboobs for the ladies, but walking outside is pure bliss.

Each to their own of course but I'd gladly take a full summer of this every year. Today was just perfect, lovely warm sunny morning, lots of thunder and interesting fast moving convection in the afternoon then a sunny evening and beautiful warm and dead calm night to sit in the garden. What more could you want from a summers day

I don't live where the cooling breezes from the Donegal hills offer relief. I am in one of the regions of the country that is bearing the brunt of this... yet again.

New Moon

In fairness you got the best of both worlds. I'd gladly stew in my own pore juice if I knew it meant boom booms and sky sparkles were likely.

I like the heat and don't have a problem with it outside. I lived abroad for a couple of years in a hot climate. At night its a different story in ireland. Irish houses trap the heat inside and its hard for me to sleep. Thats the only bit I don't like. A bit of air con would sort that out though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭acequion

Each to their own, true, but I just don't get the complaining. It's absolutely suberb weather, just stunning. The warmth, sunshine,colour, life, what on earth's not to like! Ok so we're not adapted for such high temps here and our houses are not built for it, so yes it does get uncomfortable, but have people forgotten the crappy summers we generally endure! Especially those of us in the west. And all this great tropical heat will end very soon and we'll all be back to our familiar weather. And Ireland will once again look and feel like, well, Ireland. Right now it's so wonderfully unfamiliar, yet with all the comforts of home. So please stop the moaning and let's enjoy this brief wonder.😀

To be fair it was 29 30 in his area today and hottest recorded spot in the country was 4km the Donegal border.

I'd take a July/August 2019 over this any day. Ample cooling rains that you can dance and sing in. Yes, summers in Ireland are generally cloudy and damp, but never are they cool. We can easier enjoy all the colours and wonders that nature has to offer without these sort of temps.. which are made all the worse by the accompanying high dew points that came along with them.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Pops_20

Is there any chance that the all time temperature record for Ireland could be broken tomorrow?

• Advertisement

Extremely unlikely, but yes there's a chance.

But anyway, when you have a tunes like this in your ears, you are already up there with those voices in the cooling sky. Perfect tune for a summer evening.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Tilden Katz

Agreed. Not often do I get to hot dog leg it outdoors in Ireland in a lake that looks and feels tropical under 29°C skies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Dublin Airport is now the coldest synoptic station in the country at 14c. Phoenix Park drops to 16c. DA could drop to 12c at this rate.

Does not take long whatsoever with those fresh outdoor temperatures to flush bedrooms of excess heat, joys of large bay windows & an easy enough house to get a decent draft going. Started at 28c for my bedroom and flushed it to 24c then closed all windows as 23-25c is lovely to sleep in personally.

Think the best thing about Dublin in hot spells is the brilliant cooling at night. So fresh - therapeutic after a long warm day. I'm in D9 and I can barely remember a genuinely oppressive and muggy night (outside, not inside) of 17/18c minimum. Feel like we'd need extensive cloud cover here to achieve that. After a few days much further inland recently, I do feel for folks with genuine muggy conditions. Gave up each night trying to air out the place. Just rank all night.

We've had those sort of temps for days on end. It gets wearying.

New Moon

Good stuff, a big fan of Worakls and the Cercle series. But we'll have to agree to disagree on this weather 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

I tried to use the new flag function to flag this for being one of the dumbest things I ever read but that wasn't an option unfortunately. Congrats, it is indeed warmer in Spain generally.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,105 ✭✭✭highdef

Not a tropical night in North kildare anyway. Currently 17.5° after a beautiful afternoon with a high of 29.5°. Got home from the office in Dublin around 14:00 and it was more or less calm. The east coast sea breeze finally arrived around 16:30 but thankfully it was a really warm breeze but none of that horrible coolness you get when near the coast. It was more akin to that feeling you get when in meditarranean latitudes.

Heading to the office in Dublin for a few hours. Will be interesting to see what the temperatures are just west of the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭serfboard

One o’clock in the morning and temperatures still over 20 degrees in some places.

Also, quite an impressive drop in temperature for Mt.Dillon - from 31 to 15.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,078 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Still 22°c in Shannon Airport at 2am, incredible.

Equally as hot here in West Clare, crazy to be outside in these temperatures at night in Ireland, it's unheard of.

Advertisement