Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The end of this has been strongly hinted at for those who are willing to listen. Firm dates, firm numbers, usually come back to bite you in the arse. "We can drop all restrictions when 80% are fully vaxxed" is not a commitment we can make, because nobody on the planet really knows if that is appropriate.

Read between the lines. Varadkar yesterday confirmed that we are just going to ride out the current wave at our current level of restrictions and finish the vax programme. The emergency powers are going to end in early November, by which point all adults will have been vaccinated, and they may have even started on the kids.

As of this morning, there are less than 900k adults left to receive any dose of the vaccine. After the current wave abates, we will begin dismantling restrictions. There will be no widespread restrictions come Christmas, and they'll be gone well before that. This is what's being said indirectly. But nobody over here is dumb enough to follow Boris Johnson and declare a set date at which they will lift restrictions regardless of the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Bookmarked, and I rarely agree with you in these forums, but genuinely hope you're right

• Registered Users Posts: 18,055 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

We were told that would happen by the summer as well earlier in the year. Also the emergency powers can be extended on a minesterial order to February 2022 and of course, subject to Oireachtas approval, can be extended beyond that. I hope the end comes about as soon as you say but I won't be holding my breath.

BTW Varadkar also said that we need to get through the winter with restrictions before we can possibly put this behind us. He's talking out both sides of his mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

it hasn't.

They could outline a plan with metrics (and contingencies , risks etc...) and the "bite you in the arse" comment is just a get out of jail card for no plan.

If nobody knows when it is appropriate to open everything up with no restrictions - then there is no exit plan.

If the 80%* of population vaccinated isn't the exit criteria then what is ? cos the government have bet the house on vaccines- I'd refer you to Micheal Martins speech on tv where he dismissed naysayers of his plans with the blasé catchphrase "let it rip crowd" where he said vaccination was "IT".

so if they bet on vaccines they must have a critical number or else they have no plan.

Maybe they are waiting for direction from klaus Schwab and our overlords in Davos. who knows? But certainly the citizens of ireland who the Dail (and NPHET too) serve certainly don't know.

*I just picked a high number that was probable - I'm guessing there will be approx 20% who will say no for various reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Allinall

I prefer to listen to commentators without a personal agenda, driven by financial gain.

• Advertisement

Were we told that all restrictions would be gone by the summer? I don't think we were. It was pretty clear even back in February that there would continue to be restrictions right out to the end of the Summer, and potentially into September.

There was enough grumbling about the previous extension to the emergency powers, that I really believe it would require some extraordinary twist in the tale for this government to extend them beyond November and survive.

Also worth noting that Leo didn't say there'd be another winter with restrictions. What he said was, "What I’ve said consistently and will say again is that I don't think we can comfortably say that this pandemic is behind us until we get through another winter.".

This is classic Leo sandbagging. Politicians' language that he is a master of. It's also reality. No country can comfortably declare itself out of the woods until it manages a restriction-free (or low-restriction) winter without falling over.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Sincerely hope you are right but I don't see it. Even this week, the goalposts are being moved back to Long Covid. Once this thing gets close to fizzed out, the Zero Covid thing will be wheeled out again despite Oz currently proving that approach to be foolish.

Who's moving the goalposts back to long covid though?

It's not government or the HSE.

Sure, there are plenty of gas bags on all forms of media prattling on about this stuff, but none of them have any influence over policy. For every Helen Lovejoy saying we need to protect the population from long covid, there's a Michael O'Leary saying, "Let the old people die and let me get back to business".

None of them are being listened to by those in power, the media just love to have them on because extreme opinions attract audiences. And audiences generate money.

It can be extended to February 2022. The emergency powers were due to expire in May and there were numerous posters here saying they wouldn't be extended and if they were it would be very short term. Then they got extended to November with the option to extend to February 2022. And we know at the end of the day the backbenchers will all fall into line and vote as instructed by the whip. Goalposts shifting all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

How about NPHET who the Government follow to the hilt? Prof Nolan is not giving up on this (tweet is 2 days old), he doesnt use the term "Long Covid" but you know what he's getting at:

We need to limit transmission: a wave of infections in young people will cause severe illness and long-term complications in a sizeable minority, and will break through the protection of vaccination to cause dangerous infections in older and vulnerable people. 8/9

• Advertisement

Long Covid and vaccine breakthrough are the new buzzwords and NPHET members are banging those drums at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭giveitholly

So do you think by November/December that the Aviva,RDS,Thomond will be at full capacity for matches,indoor concerts will be going ahead at full capacity,children will be able to have Christmas concerts,weddings back to unlimited numbers and the hospitality industry back to normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭francogarbanzo

..with no vaccine passport to do any of those things I’d add.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,111 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

As long as a new variant that is resistant to our current vaccines doesn't creep in I'd say January at the latest... If I'm wrong I'll be joining your protest :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,553 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Maybe in other places but not in good owl Ireland

We will still be banging on about variants and this that and the other

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Relax brah

You can’t exactly plan for something that you cannot control mate. It’s a global pandemic, we all have to do our part and tackle it as it comes.

If you are looking for answers to how all this ends, you will not find it. You can let that frustrate you or you can accept that our life’s have changed for good.

Ive chosen the latter as of late and have become much happier as a result. I wish others could do the same

Kinda sad you've waved the white flag. Anyway that's your choice.

Every adult in the state can now register for a vaccine and will be vaccinated in a few weeks yet that doesn't appear to be good enough anymore to get out of this. If having a vaccinated population is not good enough, then what is?

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

I don't accept at all that this situation is "for good". It will become just another virus like the flu eventually and life will return to normal. We are not talking about some end of days virus here with a 90% mortality rate, it will have to be accepted eventually that people will catch it and people will die - just like the flu.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭giveitholly

So you say in January in the middle of winter when our hospitals are overwhelmed regardless of Covid that all restrictions will be lifted? Not a hope imo

Per seamus the emergency powers expire on the 9th November so we'll have full houses for matches and concerts from the 10th Nov and no masks etc and no indoor vaccine certs. Looking forward to that happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,553 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Corby Trouser Press

Just listening to Leo V on Pat Kenny now.

College Lecturer, fully vaccinated of course, texting in and worrying about having to give in person lectures to students in September.

The absolute balls of these people.

Massive overinflated salaries, sitting pretty online lecturing in their comfortable houses, expecting the young to forego yet more of their precious time just so they can feel more secure.

This is a psychosis which seems to be more prevalent in well educated people.

And there is no sign of it going away anytime soon.

How much are they being paid, and how do you know what the inside of their houses are like?

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭aidoh

On good days (which are thankfully more often than not for me) I would share your 'just get on with it' outlook.

But the removal of civil liberties with no end in sight for a virus that the overwhelming majority of people will fully recover from is still deeply unsettling.

As is the fact that governments around the world, especially the developed world, have been married to the media and benefitted from their embarrassingly hysterical and often outright false reporting of the facts since day one of this thing.

Remember, those who said this likely originated in the Wuhan lab were until recently branded as racist conspiracy theorists. Those who warned of vaccine passports were branded as conspiracy theorists too. For "conspiracy theory" these days you may as well just read "spoiler alert". And that is scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭redlad12

University lecturers salaries are universally known to be on the high side. That would suggest a nice house. I don't think the poster was making big leaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,630 ✭✭✭hynesie08

8000 at the Aviva for bohs next week, 18000 for the Leinster hurling final, talks of a full house for the all Ireland final.

What makes you think it won't happen?

I have no idea what they are paid, or where they live.

Do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

The impressing I'm getting is that the government are still waiting to be told what the plan is.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭redlad12

Their salary averages are available online. People with higher salaries tend to have nicer houses. I don't really get your argument to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,111 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Yes,

Our hospitals are usually overwhelmed by flu patients every winter, there was no reported case of flu last winter in Ireland and I think that will be the same again this coming winter, Australia are also reporting low flu numbers and with their restrictions on travel I can't see it coming up here

8-10 weeks from now our COVID rates will peak and then rapidly drop, as the main spreaders of the virus (18-25 year olds) get jabbed

Advertisement