Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Once again what the ‘conspiracy theorists’ have been saying for over a year now is proven to be correct.

according to the head of one of the big hospital groups the vast majority of hospital admissions and people in hospital ‘with Covid’ are not actually being treated for Covid, they just happen to have tested positive with a PCR.

Here’s the interview.

https://twitter.com/jrd0000/status/1418212970329296907?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 8,416 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Silliest comment yet - a segregationist is a person who supports the policy of enforced separation of different racial groups. Unless you can find the race I am supporting discrimination against I suggest you quit the name calling

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

• Registered Users Posts: 18,072 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

It's classified as a pilot event. The officially allowed capacity is 500. We should be well beyond these pilot events now at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

4 times less than the original plan allowed into wide open Fitzgerald Stadium this Sunday.

18k in Croke Park is also pathetic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭growleaves

The word is not used exclusively in regard to race.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Antivaxers lol. the old antivaxer tag isnt working anymore, people are starting to figure out that destroying our society for protection from a virus thats killing **** all people now is a bad idea. The scare is wearing off no matter how hard RTE try with their daily covid nonsense. If we can't get back to normal now then we'll never back to normal and its obvious theres those positions of authority who dont want normal, they want their new normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

It's an "I'm alright Jack" attitude. Not at all uncommon in Ireland.

The access to vaccination is equal for everyone based on clear, objective criteria. What is this supposed upper tier?

I assume you're being sarcastic but yes it's the exact rhetoric that some people actually believe and now won't be in pubs and will make them much more pleasant places to be

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭revelman

If you believe in God, what about the argument that God has gifted humankind with such potential for creativity that its very best scientists can come up with a life-saving vaccine. I’m not trying to be smart. I’m just curious about your footer “Jesus saves”.

That is of course because of vaccinations. When we were last running at the current daily level of cases we were at 100 hospitalisations per day. Now we are at 17. Same background level of cases would mean the difference would be accounted for by "from covid" not "with covid"

That is a good argument. I have never told anyone not to take this vaccine. I have not discussed whether I have taken it myself, or whether I will take it.

I find the almost adulatory attitude towards Pfizer a bit distasteful though. They have been sued for all manner of mistakes in the past.

The 'public-private partnership' whereby you must use these pharmaceutical products or face disadvantages as a citizen is what I object to primarily.

I will change that signature soon probably.

If what you are saying is true, why do you think that RTE, NPHET and politicians are trying to “destroy society”? You say that people in position of authority want a “new normal”? Can you please elaborate on all of this.

I have a completely different view to you. I think people in authority have been trying to navigate through a deadly pandemic. We are almost at the end now and things will return to normal. Yes, the lockdowns were hard. But look at what happened in countries that did not have any proper public health authorities or simply ignored their advice.

you mean by how it's written by the victors?

the mcgraths of this world are caricatures at worst but you have to ask yourself how bad is it when these reference are thrown around in mainstream politics..I find the smuckness and casual dismissal of facts and science by a trained doctor in Varadkar, more offensive. He's talking about naming and shaming employers today. no matter what the context, that phrasing from a politician, even in the same sentence as employers is cunty in the extreme.

Why not name and shame all the attendees at golfgate? the man is a snake, I'd prefer the soundbite of a mcgrath court jester over that serpentine pair who share an ill fitting crown.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Billgirlylegs

Perfectly safe.??

Where is your guarantee that the people serving you will be vaccinated?

Of course they will be wearing masks for all of their shift. Soggy as a soggy thing that will spew aerosols out of the unvaccinated mouth nose, or whatever. Funny that they will check that you are vaccinated.

Still confident that it is safe enough for you?

Yet another crock by HSE/NPHET/DepartmentofHealth/Government.

These idiots really are incapable of running a bath.

You are very lucky to be living in Ireland in the 21st century. Try facing this pandemic in the developing world, where the vast majority of human beings live today. Or imagine facing this pandemic at any time in the historical past.

Name one company whose products you use on a day-to-day basis that hasn't been on the wrong end of legal disputes... I would also point out that BioNTech (who are the brains behind the vaccine and are probably making more money than Pfizer per dosage) are collaborating with the Gates foundation to develop HIV and TB medication

• Registered Users Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭timmyntc

No - a segregationist is someone who supports/enforces segregation. The groups being segregated are irrelevant to the term itself.

Advocating for segregation of people based on vaccination status would by definition make you a segregationist.

and isn't that just the idea eh.. welcome to the pleasant place to be two tier society...economically deprived?? socially unaccepted? unappealing in your political views?? devoid of an acceptable education? well never fear because no matter how entitled you are to be an arsehole and harbour the fringiest of fringe views..you sir can sit outside, so I red silurian can have his chardonnay with Leo and the mean girls!!

Oh Leo, look a them, they're staring in at us and blocking our sun..take them away..why should I have to suffer the sight of them..

well done red, point proven.. that's why pubs have different clientele.off to searsons with you then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

ah here - not exclusively race related go check https://www.merriam-webster.com/

a person who believes in or practices segregation especially of races

that said this pedantry is pathetic - you knew exactly what he meant treating Irish citizen differently under the law - but instead of a rebuttal you decide to play words. A smart poster like yourself would be fully aware that language changes and takes on new meaning all the time , sometime quite quickly.

Like ffs "new normal" meant something else 18months ago

Would you believe, there are actually people out there who believe that kinda rhetoric.

Under current Irish law you must be 18 or over to buy alcohol, cigarettes, lottery tickets and many other things, you must have a drivers licence to drive... Is it being segregationist to support these laws also in your view?

In my view, because any adult can soon avail of a vaccine, it doesn't come under the definition of a segregationist move by any definition

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Over the last couple of decades Health Quangos and NGOs have been year by year gnawing away at our freedoms and personal responsibilities. From excessive health taxes, heightened restrictions and outright bans.

A vaccine passport is their Moment to gain the power they wanted. Will the vaccine pass become a flu vaccine pass in a few years? Did you ever imagine a time when the state would say you can have your full freedom back if you take this vaccine and they were fully allowed to do it?

What's after that? How far do you think they'll go?

Can we at least agree that health Quangos and NGOs have had way too much power over the last 20years? And then can we agree that their influence is only going to become stronger?

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Billgirlylegs

there's a lot of things I'd have never believed and yet here we are. thrashing out basic freedoms on a keyboard.

On your first paragraph, I guess it is a matter of someone’s perspective on these things. My perspective is that over the last few decades, life expectancy has increased dramatically, due in no small part to the work of public health agencies. I’m not sure what bans you are referring to, but if you are talking about the smoking ban, well this has proved to have had significant health benefits. You can chose to smoke if you wish. But you are no longer permitted to smoke on top of me or my children in a restaurant.

In your second paragraph, did I ever imagine a time when I could have my full freedom back only if I accept a vaccine? There are plenty of examples through history of mandatory vaccination in the face of serious disease. In the 19th century, vaccination for smallpox was made mandatory in England. It was eventually eradicated worldwide in the 20th century. COVID, in its current form, is not as deadly as smallpox was but it is far more deadly than most viruses we know. Without vaccination, we would have to let it run through our population. We would face tens of thousands of excess deaths in a short period of time. In India, excess morality in the last year is between 3 and 4 million.

Your third paragraph again depends on perspective. I’m all for the freedom of the individual and I don’t like the State interfering too much. But when that interference actually benefits everyone, then I welcome it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Its not comparable with smallpox because it is neither as deadly, nor will it be eradicated. COVID is far too virulent to ever disappear. This is not a fringe opinion either - its well accepted that covid is here to stay. So any vaccination drive should not be with the goal to eradicate covid - its simply not feasible.

With that in mind - what is the motivation? What is the endgame? Vaccinate everyone, and then re-vaccinate them once the virus mutates enough to bypass vaccine immunity - then vaccinate them again and again etc? In that case, why even bother mandatory vaccinating those not at risk such as younger people? Their vaccines could instead be diverted to those that need them - those at risk.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,381 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Are we really resorting to comparing the current situation with the Nazis?

Please discuss the topic civilly without resorting to such emotive terms

• Advertisement

Who says the goal is to eradicate COVID? I agree with you. COVID is here to stay. But when most people have developed immunity, COVID will go the same way as other coronaviruses such as the Russian flu of the 19th century. It will become a strain of the common cold.

Advertisement