Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welcome to the new Boards.ie platform - Version 1.0 :)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,101 ✭✭✭archfi

I've just notcied (desktop) that going from My Bookmarks, clicking on a thread there and then back refreshes My Bookmarks.

Behaviour up till I noticed this was I had to refresh My Bookmarks manually to update the page properly (ie, showing I had read a thread previously marked with new posts)

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Yeah, I don't get the ignore function at all, if you've ignored an active poster in a thread are you not losing the gist of the discussion?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,459 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Usually ignore is only deployed after coming to the conclusion that there's really nothing to be gained from listening to a poster anymore. It's the ultimate last step. It's only used for trolls or the chronically stupid. There comes a point where there's no net benefit in endlessly reading drivel or bad faith arguments over and over again - that you know conclusively that you are talking to an idiot.

I never used to use it, ever, but I've met a few posters in the Covid forums - most of whom have since been banned - who have made me reach for it.

Post edited by Arghus on

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,231 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I split out the posts on the CSS stuff from the last 3 or so pages into its own thread: https://boards.ie/discussion/2058200272/diy-desktop-site-customisation-use-at-own-risk

I would have gone back further but every few posts I selected would cause the page to freeze and become unresponsive 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 4,554 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Server responsiveness today is shocking. Like, it literally took a minute and a half to like a post, and in that time you can't interact with the tab in any way, and Chrome will several times ask you if you want to wait for the unresponsive tab or kill it.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,231 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Must have selected that one by accident when the page froze, will see if i can move it back

Edit: Nope couldn't move it 😀 I edited it into your post above instead

• Registered Users Posts: 13,616 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

:-D

Boards Forum Admins

– Our plane is old and no longer reliable. Let's buy new one.

Boards Forum Admins a while later:

– This offer looks excellent - they say it flies and it's NEW AND SHINY! Go for that!

Boards Forum Admins after first flight:

– OK, it's helicopter alright, but we'll do our best to modify it so it'd pretend to be a plane. Hope nobody would notice.

;-) ;-) ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

this is a poor move.......

• Registered Users Posts: 10,320 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Yes I have tagged them. If you can find my posts you will see that.

It's not up to me to open a new thread. This thread was started by the admins to seek feedback on the new site, which I am giving, but which they have either intentionally or unintentionally ignored.

One for mobile and one for computer users as they both are having completely different problems and resolutions.

• Advertisement

I don't think this the best thread for raising bugs as it's more of a general discussion thread and is moving very fast, they will be more visible if you post them here I reckon: https://boards.ie/discussion/2058199223/just-bugs-missing-functionality-reports-no-griping#latest

I already started a separate thread for the CSS stuff (linked further up).

I didn't know about that one. It wasn't started by Boards though so they probably don't read it much.

@Boards.ie: Niamh has specifically stated that she reads every post on this thread so I was hoping she would at least acknowledge the problem as she does with others above and below my posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,448 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

It's now becoming becoming near on impossible to post a comment, it freezes as you type and takes an age to actually post

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Silly Gilly

It is my suspicion that after what happened with the "Responsive" site, launched in parallel with the legacy site and universally rejected by the userbase that those in charge decided to steamroll this change through without consultation.

It smacks of a contempt and mistrust of long-term users. The fact that they are so incompetent to launch such an inferior product is even more egregious.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ClosedAccountFuzzy

I'm not griping here but I really am finding the mobile version of the site almost unusable. I have to have a bookmark on my phone to even find my own comments. It looks awful. It loads slowly. I can't find my way around it and it's just becoming more of a chore to post than anything else, and I can absolutely see myself not bothering.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

I remember back in 2008 4 others and I decided to start a forum, one of the 5 is a Dev (and a good one).

We started out using a free php forum and after about six months we moved to vBulletin and remained using that until 2015 when we finally moved to XenForo and remain with them to this day.

At the time of that final move our Dev was harping on about how difficult it had become to manage vBulletin because it was just so buggy & had lots of restrictions as to add-ons and support compared to XenForo.

I remember too back then the fear that was in the other 4 as to how that move would go down with our community. The group of 4 agreed to put our trust in the 5th member (the Dev) so we bought in and made the move.

The support we got at the time was nothing short of excellent from XenForo and the transition went as smooth as any of use could have hoped for, There was of course a bit of bitchn' from members during the period of change but because there were very little fixes needed after the move it wasn't long before members got used to the new layout and quickly learned to find their way around.

I still like vBulletin as a user but that's down to the fact I was/am a member of many places that use it & it's just so damn God familiar to me I guess.

If anything remotely close to what happened with Boards migration happened to us back in 2015 we would not be still active today.

This is just my experience dealing with platform migration and change & four of the 5 of us had no real skill-set at the time from a forum management perspective. There is nothing magical about what we achieved, our aim at the time was to fill a void and hopefully generate enough money to cover the running costs of the site. We are a small community with 160,000 members and still growing 13 years later.

I really hope Boards survive this and wish them and the members who decide to hang in the best of luck going forward.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ClosedAccountFuzzy

I think they need to be quite careful to LISTEN TO USERS though. It's not a case of lack of familiarity with the site. The mobile version in particular isn't usable. It really is that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Silly Gilly

I believe XenForo was created by some of the original vBulletin developers. It would have seemed, to me, a better fit for a Boards migration.

Further to this it happens when using the code block (maybe other stuff as well)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

I am now getting this when I click on my notification

Comment Not Found

The page you were looking for could not be found.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

I didn't know that but it doesn't surprise me.

I knew nothing about Vanilla until this Boards move, never even heard of them prior to that. I did wonder though when the talk started in relation to the migration that they kept referring to "The New Platform" without saying who or what it was. (I was guessing it might be XenForo).

Are there any well known forums using them that I might know of? or is it even a platform created to drive forums or is it's specialty geared towards something else?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

I checked a few of their showcase forums using Vanilla - they were all very basic. Some big names but more like a plugin Q and A software than the likes of what Boards is

https://vanillaforums.com/en/showcase/

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

A quick look at what xenforo has to offer and it’s a real mystery and shame that Boards didn’t use their services. It’s software is created by former vBulletin lead developers

• Registered Users Posts: 40,405 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

If you paste in a URL you need to press enter afterwards. It makes the link work correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭cloudhopper19

Am I missing something but since the change over boards.ie has become unusable. When I login I get a blank screen, no content showing?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,198 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I'm missing Boards.ie. Can't use this version at all...

I thought we were supposed to be getting our Forums back with last night's downtime?

Thanks. At least @Boards.ie: Mark replied to me on the thread you linked.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,148 ✭✭✭batistuta9

I don't find it that bad to use at all. I think the lack of familiarity is a big issue for a lot of users.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,557 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

@Boards.ie: Niamh @Mickeroo

I know you guys already have a sticky in feedback about the soccer forum - but it might make more sense to actually just make a Soccer forum under Sports, and have 2 threads in there; one explaining the situation and charter, and the other for access requests. Ideally you could block the ability to create new threads there for non-admins, so it doesn't become the defacto soccer forum.

Keep seeing posters arrive into soccer eventually, exclaiming that they've finally found it. Why not head all of that off by putting the explanation right where people will look first?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,680 ✭✭✭Worztron

I have 2 old posts at the end of this page: https://boards.ie/discussion/comment/117368719

The links no longer work after the boards.ie update. I wonder if the old links will remain permanently dead?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement