Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Big Lawnmower Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

monkeynuz wrote: »
    Etesia is better though.

if you're willing to remortgage your house

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

fryup wrote: »
    if you're willing to remortgage your house

That’s a little extreme.

I’d rather buy good than cheap.

To be honest for 1/2 acre you’d be better off with a good 21” walk behind, not a cheap one.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭cathy427

fryup wrote: »
    how about a buggy style ride on like this one, should be narrow enough for most garden sheds, just make sure the horsepower (HP) is above 10

as for mulching all you need do is just plug the back shoot so that the cuttings don't go into the collection box, some hard cardboard would do the trick

Thanks a mill. Something like could suit for a while or indeed for as long as it stays going. At 30" inch obviously going to take long than the Castlegarden below but a totally different product really and still faster than the walk behind.

Dohvolle wrote: »
    I am on a 1/2 acre, so I think I have about half of that in grass. I got a Castelgarden XDC150HD for €2500 in april (From the Stiga family). It has a mulching option, with a 250l collector box. Takes about 30 minutes to cut everything. An hour to do it by the book (criss cross)
    Looking around that's kind of the standard. Go for something without a collector and you'll be around the €2000 mark, though prices increased recently.
    You'll get cheaper 2nd hand, but this could be a false economy when you end up replacing belts, blades or engine parts..
    deezell wrote: »
    Etesia is fine if you have €5k to spend. Otherwise this 72cm cut for little over €2k,
    https://monaghanhire.com/products/castelgarden-tractor-xf135hd-72cm-rider-hyd-352cc-engine

or this 80cm ride on tractor for about €2.5k
    https://monaghanhire.com/products/castelgarden-xdc140hd-tractor-mower

Thanks guys.
    So around €2500 for Castlegarden seems to be where market is at. Is there much difference between the 140 and 150 and do the other numbers matter? Take your point on the second hand ones. In the dealers (as opposed to donedeal) do they have ones they have ... refurbished for want of a better work.

As I say have budget and space concerns in terms of getting it into the shed but appreciate your point that nearly better going new if at all possible. See they seem to come with hitch and battery charger but mulching kit is extra.

That’s a little extreme.

I’d rather buy good than cheap.

To be honest for 1/2 acre you’d be better off with a good 21” walk behind, not a cheap one.

If went new would the Castlegarden not be considered good given that it would only have to do the 1/2 acre (full site is just over .8 acre so rougly 0.5 lawns.

In terms of the walk behind my issue is time - enjoy garden but with walk behind people tell me you are looking at 3 and half hours minimum.

Thanks for all the help - much appreciated.
    Two good extremes there to consider - the small buggy style to tied me over or new Castlegarden.
    Would the small buggy style be widely available 2nd hand at around that price point? Or would they be rare?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

cathy427 wrote: »
    Thanks a mill. Something like could suit for a while or indeed for as long as it stays going. At 30" inch obviously going to take long than the Castlegarden below but a totally different product really and still faster than the walk behind.

Thanks guys.
    So around €2500 for Castlegarden seems to be where market is at. Is there much difference between the 140 and 150 and do the other numbers matter? Take your point on the second hand ones. In the dealers (as opposed to donedeal) do they have ones they have ... refurbished for want of a better work.

As I say have budget and space concerns in terms of getting it into the shed but appreciate your point that nearly better going new if at all possible. See they seem to come with hitch and battery charger but mulching kit is extra.

If went new would the Castlegarden not be considered good given that it would only have to do the 1/2 acre (full site is just over .8 acre so rougly 0.5 lawns.

In terms of the walk behind my issue is time - enjoy garden but with walk behind people tell me you are looking at 3 and half hours minimum.

Thanks for all the help - much appreciated.
    Two good extremes there to consider - the small buggy style to tied me over or new Castlegarden.
    Would the small buggy style be widely available 2nd hand at around that price point? Or would they be rare?

Less than an hour with good honda//Stihl/Etesia walk behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭deezell

The xdc140 is the best choice for durability and residual value. Cut width of 84cm, overall width of 88cm, length with the bag removed is about 1.8m, so if this fits in your shed you're sorted. The 72cm compact will take more laps to mow, and may feel a bit bumpier due to the small wheels. If it was to be driven by a large man, say 18st, like someone I know, I wouldn't choose the buggy type.

• Advertisement

With a cut width of 51-53 cm, and a walk behind speed of 4km/hour you would indeed cover a half acre (2000 m2) in an hour. Overlap, cornering, obstacles, bag emptying will increase this by maybe 25%, but mulching and walking faster with a variable speed drive mower at 5km/hr max would bring it back to the hour of non stop fast walking. Thats 2.4 plus miles of walking and wrestling a very large mower, even with power drive, so its not unrealistic to expect to spend two hours plus on the job. I know someone who takes half a day to do their garden, they never manage more than 20mins of continuous walking.

Plus; used buggy mowers very scarce, and usually knackered.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭soundman45

+1, get a good variable speed self propelled, weibang shaft driven one for example would be quicker than the small ride on, no way 1/2 acre takes over 3 hours to mow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

The xdc140 is the best choice for durability and residual value. Cut width of 84cm, overall width of 88cm, length with the bag removed is about 1.8m, so if this fits in your shed you're sorted. The 72cm compact will take more laps to mow, and may feel a bit bumpier due to the small wheels. If it was to be driven by a large man, say 18st, like someone I know, I wouldn't choose the buggy type.

I think the only difference between the XDC140HD and XDC150HD is the 140 has a B&S engine (5.8kw) and the 150 has a Stiga engine (7.4kw). The bigger engine gives a slight advantage if your lawn is sloped. Mine rises about a metre for its length overall.
    Otherwise you get the same twin blade with mulching option, collector box and nice big tyres.
    https://www.castelgarden.com/int/catalog/product_compare/index/uenc/aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuY2FzdGVsZ2FyZGVuLmNvbS9pbnQvY3VzdG9tZXIvc2VjdGlvbi9sb2FkLz9zZWN0aW9ucz1jb21wYXJlLXByb2R1Y3RzJTJDbWVzc2FnZXMmZm9yY2VfbmV3X3NlY3Rpb25fdGltZXN0YW1wPWZhbHNlJl89MTYyNDcxNzk1NDEzNA%2C%2C/

soundman45 wrote: »
    +1, get a good variable speed self propelled, weibang shaft driven one for example would be quicker than the small ride on, no way 1/2 acre takes over 3 hours to mow.

My roughly 600sq/m used to take 2-3 hours with a 21 inch push mower, and that's without using the collector box, and stopping half way to refuel.
    Using a self propelled would not have changed that in any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

For decades I used a 33" 'mulch deck' to keep the grass here tamed. Last year it developed an issue. I got a 21" walk behind as a stop gap. I have found it does the job and, being lighter, easier for me to work.
    Recently partially stripped engine of The Beast. Its a side valve 8.5HP B&S. Reckon big end is gone - didnt delve any further.
    I wonder if there might be anyone ( someone in the trade of lawnmower repairs ? ) who would get some use ( for spares ? ) from it. Not looking for any money - looking for someone able to transport it away. ( I would have no interest in putting it in the shark infested waters of DD or Adverts :p )

Any suggestion how to find a new home for it ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭bamayang

Is it possible to get replacement bags for 20 year old mowers? Have a 102 castle garden that’s working A1, but the bag is gone to bits.

bamayang wrote: »
    Is it possible to get replacement bags for 20 year old mowers? Have a 102 castle garden that’s working A1, but the bag is gone to bits.

https://www.mowerparts.ie/grass-box-spare-parts-108-c.asp

Anything here work for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭bamayang

Cheers, ya buying a new frame might do me as the bag itself is fine. But the frame has rusted away completely. Machine is going grand otherwise, def another few years in it.

I clicked on Deezell's link earlier and now google ads wan't me to buy another lawnmower...

I clicked on Deezell's link earlier and now google ads wan't me to buy another lawnmower...

If I google say, 'Euros 2020 Italy v Austria' to read the reports, Google ads thinks I want a hotel there. Google ads are shameless. I've taken to using the Samsung Internet browser on the phone, seems better. I think the telly is listening too, I get ads that can only be the result of eavesdropping.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

its those damn cookies

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭techi

Looking to buy a new Ride On.

I’ve narrowed it to 2 but can’t decide, hoping someone in the know might give me some pro’s and con’s on them or indeed let me know why one is better than the other.

Honda HF2417hme
    Husqvarna TC242TX

Thanks in advance.

techi wrote: »
    Looking to buy a new Ride On.

I’ve narrowed it to 2 but can’t decide, hoping someone in the know might give me some pro’s and con’s on them or indeed let me know why one is better than the other.

Honda HF2417hme
    Husqvarna TC242TX

Thanks in advance.

Both V twin cylinder engines, giving smooth, quiet responsive power, the Husky"s 108 cut is 6cm more than the Honda, but it's Kawasaki engine delivers a full 50% more power than the Honda, 14Kw to 9.4kw. Honda has an on demand mulch lever, I think the Husky has one also, some models did, Biocut or something. I'm not sure why you might switch to/from mulch on the fly, except for uneven growth with patches too dense to mulch.
    Honda rep goes before it, there's been occasional disappointed Husq users on the blogs, of the 'never again' variety, but it would still be considered premium, despite some grumbling on build quality. The Husqvarna is rrp at €5060, the Honda looks the better deal at €4400 here, https://monaghanhire.com/products/honda-hf-2417-ride-on-mower-brexit-buster-deal ,
    but you could narrow that gap with haggling.
    Consider slso the Stihl 5112 Z or 6112 Zl, 110cm cut mowers with twin v B-&S engines, 11 kw of power, all the usual features, the former machine is competitively priced, sub €4k in some dealers but with a build quality on a par with either of the other two. Very robust, very smooth engine.
    https://www.fitzhire.ie/tractors-mower/250-stihl-rt-5112-oz-mower.html

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭techi

Both V twin cylinder engines, giving smooth, quiet responsive power, the Husky"s 108 cut is 6cm more than the Honda, but it's Kawasaki engine delivers a full 50% more power than the Honda, 14Kw to 9.4kw. Honda has an on demand mulch lever, I think the Husky has one also, some models did, Biocut or something. I'm not sure why you might switch to/from mulch on the fly, except for uneven growth with patches too dense to mulch.
    Honda rep goes before it, there's been occasional disappointed Husq users on the blogs, of the 'never again' variety, but it would still be considered premium, despite some grumbling on build quality. The Husqvarna is rrp at €5060, the Honda looks the better deal at €4400 here, https://monaghanhire.com/products/honda-hf-2417-ride-on-mower-brexit-buster-deal ,
    but you could narrow that gap with haggling.
    Consider slso the Stihl 5112 Z or 6112 Zl, 110cm cut mowers with twin v B-&S engines, 11 kw of power, all the usual features, the former machine is competitively priced, sub €4k in some dealers but with a build quality on a par with either of the other two. Very robust, very smooth engine.
    https://www.fitzhire.ie/tractors-mower/250-stihl-rt-5112-oz-mower.html

Appreciate the response many thanks, hadn’t considered the Stihl. I was leaning towards the Husky, however as a previous owner of several Honda motorcycles I do like their reliability and I’d imagine it follows through on mower. The Stihl looks a nice machine but I’m still torn between the Honda and Husky.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,781 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

techi wrote: »
    Appreciate the response many thanks, hadn’t considered the Stihl. I was leaning towards the Husky, however as a previous owner of several Honda motorcycles I do like their reliability and I’d imagine it follows through on mower. The Stihl looks a nice machine but I’m still torn between the Honda and Husky.

I bought the smaller Honda 2317 from Monaghan Hire a few months ago. Got another €200 off their listed price for the machine including PDI and delivery. So see what they will do.

Can't fault the machine. I'd never mulch with it, because the doesn't work with that type of machine and Irish grass but as a bagger its bl00dy excellent.

Apart from the engine its not really a Honda its an old Castle Garden design with a Honda engine however Honda have tweaked the design to get the most out it so it really works well. The body of the machine is also well built. Only thing I'd criticize on it is the convenience of doing an oil change, not exactly difficult but it could have been made much easier.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement

It's worth noting than Honda have indeed gone the way of other premium brands to stay competitivei in using pattern chassis builds such as the generic castelgarden clones, with a Honda engine to give it It's usp. Irregardless, they are still pricey. At €4K, I wouldn't consider the Honda 2317 with it's 25% smaller engine, 7 inch/18cm smaller cut, non synchronous deck, smaller front tyres, and general dimensions, to be a competitor of the Stihl 5112.Z, which can be bought for this amount. All round, the Stihl has more of every thing, 40Kg more, making it a far more robust purchase, and it will get around your lawn quicker too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

Currently have a Mountfield ride on mower which I bought in fairly good nick second hand off a neighbour around 3 years ago.It would be at least 10 years old and the cutting deck would be slightly wider than your typical push mower iykwim.

Our lawn is nearly an acre in size and has a slope in it down to a wall at the roadside.When cutting as you drive up against the hill I find that you always have to go into first gear (mower has 5 forward gears)……naturally this slows down the cutting process……takes me over 3 hours to cut the lawn at a time…… to me that seems like a long time to be at it…..I cut it in an anti-clockwise direction,is fairly square shaped garden.So if there is not much grass on the lawn I can cut along the top and down the side in second or third gear but then when you face across the lowest run across you are on a slope so for it and the run up against bathe slope on the far side you can only go in first gear.

The slope from the wall at the road or bottom of the garden to the top is at about 35 degrees.

I am just wondering are your typical modern ride on mowers for domestic use a bit more high powered than ones like mine?

Would have hoped they are and you could be able to drive against the slope in at least second gear while cutting iykwim.

How long roughly would it take to cut a 1 acre square lawn on a slight slope with a weeks growth of grass on it with a modern household ride on Mower?
    Thanks for any replies.

Currently have a Mountfield ride on mower which I bought in fairly good nick second hand off a neighbour around 3 years ago.It would be at least 10 years old and the cutting deck would be slightly wider than your typical push mower iykwim.

Our lawn is nearly an acre in size and has a slope in it down to a wall at the roadside.When cutting as you drive up against the hill I find that you always have to go into first gear (mower has 5 forward gears)……naturally this slows down the cutting process……takes me over 3 hours to cut the lawn at a time…… to me that seems like a long time to be at it…..I cut it in an anti-clockwise direction,is fairly square shaped garden.So if there is not much grass on the lawn I can cut along the top and down the side in second or third gear but then when you face across the lowest run across you are on a slope so for it and the run up against bathe slope on the far side you can only go in first gear.

The slope from the wall at the road or bottom of the garden to the top is at about 35 degrees.

I am just wondering are your typical modern ride on mowers for domestic use a bit more high powered than ones like mine?

Would have hoped they are and you could be able to drive against the slope in at least second gear while cutting iykwim.

How long roughly would it take to cut a 1 acre square lawn on a slight slope with a weeks growth of grass on it with a modern household ride on Mower?
    Thanks for any replies.

A nominally 100cm cut ride on driving in a straight line close to its max speed of 5km/hour will cut 5000 m2 or about 1.25 acres in an hour. In the real world, you have overlaps, turns, obstacles, bag emptying and slopes, add in heavy grass and underpowered engines and you can double the time taken. A modest slope can be overcome with a more powerful engine. Max slope for safe mowing is normally 10°, certainly for cutting across the slope. 35° sounds really dangerous in any direction, that's a climb of over 1m in every 2m forward. Thats a ramp, not a slope. This is extremely dangerous on a ride on mower. The possibility of the mower flipping backwards on the ascent is very real if the clutch is engaged suddenly. The possibility of runaway is also great, especially with a manual transmission, as older ride on mowers with manual transmission do not have the brake applied to the rear axle, but to the output sprocket shaft of the gearbox. If the chain breaks or jumps off the rear axle sprocket during a steep ascent or descent, the mower will take off down the hill, with no braking possible.
    I'm hoping your estimate of slope is incorrect, though your use of first gear seems to imply otherwise. If you wish to mow a 35° sloped garden, you really should be using specialist walk/stand behind equipment, not a domestic ride on mower.

Small issue,

Bumped a kerb last night with the deck down on my XDC150HD. The Lifting cable popped out from where it is supposed to be, but I can't see where it should go.

Any advice to get it back in position would be hugely appreciated.

Update, Cable is where it is supposed to be, but deck is stuck in the upper position.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭soundman45

Have just dumped my Cub Cadet ride on for a Weibang 537 shaft drive mower, will never use a ride on again. Ride on was worse than useless when the grass had grown long and needed to be cut every week otherwise belts were strained, the Husqvarna front deck mower I previously had was the same. The Weibang last week cut grass that was easily a foot high and never missed a beat or struggled, it performed brilliantly. Granted might take a little longer but instead of having to keep grass trimmed with the ride on this mower will easily cut long grass meaning less cutting over all. Can highly reccomend the Weibang.

Anyone?

Still jammed in the uppermost position.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭driver02

Any one have any experience of KAAZ walk behind mowers. This they use mostly Honda parts as in engine and clutch but a copy of Honda as far as I know.

Sounds like a previous post, but I think that was deck in the lower position, consistent with popped out lifting cables. When the deck is cable lifted, there are generally one per side. If a kerb bump lifts the deck up unevenly, it's possible that only one has popped out, the deck will then hang off balance from one cable, and might wedge in the upper position. If both cables are correctly hooked up, check if they become slack when you lower the height lever. If the deck is still jammed up, again it could be wedged from the uneven upward impact of the Kerb. You might already have this solved. I'm only seeing this post now, the new boards server is not delivering alerts to new posts, or else it has deleted my settings for followed threads.

• Advertisement

Thanks Deezell.

The cause remains unclear. the solution was easier. With assistance from neighbour in the landscaping business what appears to have happened was a combination of factors. The bump pushed the deck slightly off balance, but the bracket that connects to the cable also tightened. (the cable here only attaches to the lifting frame in one place.

Unhooked the deck at the front, loosened the bolt holding the bracket enough to get free movement, re-attached deck in front. No subsequent issues.

Advertisement