Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Des O'Malley Progressive Democrats founder has died.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

You can thank McDowell for that. And I don't think it's correct or fair to say the media characterized them as hard right, rather tracking them as McDowell let them in a death spiral. I remember the McDowell era well, and he very clearly went after anything vaguely left-wing in very odd terms, as if Lenin's ghost was going to manifest itself in O'Connell Street and stage a Bolshevik putsch.

It was an electioneering strategy brought about by the PDs being squeezed out by Bertie's slashing of income taxes and spending like a drunk sailor on stamp duty receipts from the booming housing market. The PDs were on-again off-again enablers of this in coalition so couldn't really call a halt to it, as it was ridiculously popular with an electorate in a trance and Bertie as Pied Piper. We know how the story ends with the economy, but McDowell had to stake out some sort of ground at the ballot box and chose to go after a paper mache imaginary hard-left force that would bring doom upon us all (whereas it was the financial permissiveness and an economy out of control was the real villain, which they were active participants in). Didn't jive with the electorate because Ireland isn't Arizona or Texas, and we don't check for communists under our bed each night.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, was the sad story of how the PDs ceased to be.

Mad Dog Macca has mellowed in his political dotage, and he's actually a really good Senator - but his leadership spell with the PDs did a disservice to himself and the party O'Malley founded.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,074 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

He shifted the whole axis of Irish politics out of the zombified "republican" nonsense which neither FF nor FG really believed in yet constantly spouted, and ended many statist hangovers from the pre-Whittaker era which greatly benefitted a few at the expense of the many - e.g. the £300 a flight duopoly BA / Aer Lingus to London

Not to mention calling out FF's opposition to rubbers at the height of the AIDS crisis - most of their TDs were having it away but voted the catholic line purely to oppose the then government

It's unfortunate that due to the gombeenism/stupidity of most of the electorate in that era, he was forced to hold his nose and do business with CJH's utterly corrupt FF, but for a small party in government they achieved a hell of a lot. (NB to all of today's small parties - shouting in opposition achieves nothing.)

RIP. There is no-one of his calibre in politics today.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

RIP Des O'Malley

A man who had the courage to stand up to CJH at his height and who called out SF/IRA for what they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭crossman47

The alternative was no scheme. Anyway, it is far from a disaster. It has saved many lives. The so called scandal was a lack of communication with women already being treated for cancer. There are so many myths now about the so called failure that the truth has disappeared, mainly thanks to mouthy poiticians and reporters looking for click bait.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

I heard it mentioned last year, thought Karma had stepped up,

O'Malley before my time so no views on him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

I normally wouldn't bother with these RIP threads but his influence on Irish politics can't be understated. The PDs were a sane, socially liberal, fiscally conservative party when our country was was full of state owned monopolies and holy Joes. People might not remember but we were in need of a dose of free market capitalism back then. Their good ideas were absorbed by the major parties and their dafter ones left on the dust heap but those changes might not have happened if not for their existence.

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,090 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Never voted PDs but I do think him one of few honest politicians over the decades.

R.I.P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭chicorytip

He was a man of contradictions who espoused the highest standards of conduct and probity in public life yet was willing to enter into a coalition government with a man - Charles J. Haughey - who represented the antithesis of high standards and probity in political life. This alliance of convenience will cast a shadow over his legacy. I note that another disgraced former Taoiseach, Bertie Ahern, was among the invited guests at O'Malley's funeral. I found that rather peculiar and difficult to comprehend. Dessie must have had a forgiving and compassionate nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Hard to believe that there is someone as crass as that in public life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,770 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Still smarting over not getting the free buses and broadband for his smoke and mirrors ego trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,445 ✭✭✭cml387

He was Minister for Industry and Commerce when De Lorean was looking for a site for a factory. The IDA had the old Ferenka factory in Limerick in mind. Even though it was his constituency, O'Malley thought that De Lorean was looking for too much finance and nixed the scheme.

Compare and contrast Haughey's deal with the Talbot car workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Randy Archer

Lol . He did what he did because he got kicked out of FF for his treachery . He wasn’t even man enough to publicly challenge CJ for leadership of the party . Always hiding behind someone else .

He set up the I hate Charlie Haughey Party (thats what the PDs were) and the first thing it did was enter a power deal with Don CJ . Oh that’s real holding CJH to account . Waffle !

His time as government Minister, bar perhaps time as Minister for Justice , is nothing to write home out . He ain’t the shining knight people are now building him up to be .

He was nothing like his uncle. He was middle of the road conservative with little to no imagination . Liberal , lol

A lot of revisionism going on since his death . Utter nonsense in fact . How many of ye commentators were old enough to remember this guy ?

I am dealing with his politics and his time as a politician and only that . RIP nonetheless

RIP

ireland was a very conservative place in the 80s and early 90s and with a very strong risk averse culture so getting voters to move away from the institutions that were FF and FG took a lot of work.

The PDs for the first 5 years or so, even more, we’re very much perceived as a “middle class” party,- the “comfortably well off slightly liberal voter” were attracted to them- which meant they were never going to have a huge following.

While small in number, the party punched well above its weight we still need parties like this to keep the FF FG parties in check - it’s a terrible pity all we have in this space is the myopic tax everything no imagination Greens .

Advertisement