Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Brexit discussion thread XIV (Please read OP before posting)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Dessie Bessie

I'm an Irishman who has lived in the UK for 20 years but the suggestion that the Brits are full of whatever you think they're full of and that panic has set in over the Brexit not being what they were promised is not a country I recognise.

Brexit is barely mentioned these days and Northern Ireland even less so.Apart from a few die-hard online Leavers most people have accepted it and moved on.I don't see much buyer's remorse anywhere,particularly as the warnings of doom,widespread job losses, shortages in the shops,lorry stacks in Kent,disruption to medical supplies etc have all failed to happen.

That's not to say that any or all of those things might not still happen once the Covid pandemic is over but for the moment most people I know at least seem unconcerned about events which seem to exercise the minds of people on the other side of the Irish Sea much more.

And calling them thick or having been sold a kipper is not going to make them change their minds.

It's why Johnson's Tory party remains consistently ahead of Labour in the polls. They understand the electorate far better than Her Majesty's official opposition and have done so for some considerable period of time.Remember the Tories have 164 seats more than Labour. 164!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

But Oceania has always been at war with Eastasia....

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Petty and vindictive? If the UK didn't like the deal, why didn't they reject it, after all, we were assured on about 6 billion occasions, that no deal was better than a bad deal

The Johnson government deliberately waited until the very last moment to publish anything related to the deal in a deliberate attempt to avoid any kinds of scrutiny and ram it through Parliament

Johnson signed this deal not caring what was in it, because had no intention of ever following anything he agreed to

The EU acted in good faith throughout the entire 5 year negotiation period. May, and Johnson did nothing but try to pander to the extremist elements in their own party and use their own population and peace on these islands as hostages against the EU to try to get them to deliver them some kind of victory that would satisfy the lunatics who had taken over the Asylum (the ERG and populists like Johnson)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

What would you have the EU do Dessie Bessie and why would it be in the EU's interest to do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

Do other posters ever read what Brexiteers say?

[quote]The UK can unilaterally end the agreement, then what's the EU going to do? Per EU law the Irish Republic has to enforce border controls on the Northern Ireland border, the UK need not. Then the Irish Republic violates the GFA, and it's not the UKs responsibility.[/quote]

https://www.city-data.com/forum/united-kingdom/3124200-brexit-here-104.html

NI and the border are just pawns to be used to suit the Brexit agenda.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

More important what will the USA under Biden do about the UK's duplicity?

The EU have some big bazookas which they will be quite willing to use, and the USA have even bigger bazookas.

I think threats by both EU and USA will concentrate the Brexiteers in the Tories that maybe Brexit might be an idea that was not very bright.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

I'm no legal expert either and just following this lengthy saga with interest in the media.

Apart from the text, there is an FAQ document and a presentation about aspects of the Withdrawal agreement in plainer language on the Europa website.

https://ec.europa.eu/info/relations-united-kingdom/eu-uk-withdrawal-agreement_en

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/qanda_20_104

and there are similar available for the EU-UK Trade & Cooperation agreement (TCA). e.g. about the governance structures/dispute mechanisms etc.

https://ec.europa.eu/info/sites/default/files/slides_on_governance_and_enforcement_1.pdf

From a look at first link, the "dispute" process within the Withdrawal agreement appears very slow and legalistic to me. The ultimate place it ends up (after an Arbitration panel and possibly the CJEU rules in the EU favour and there is no satisfaction coming from the UK) would allow the EU to suspend the Withdrawal agreement (excluding Citizen's rights parts) or portions of any other agreements the UK has made with the EU (e.g. TCA say).

However, the mechanisms for a response within the TCA appear to be faster (there are "safeguarding/remedial" measures [p11] alongside the "dispute" mechanisms). So I think if the EU or UK deems that agreement is being breached by the other in some way they can retaliate against it almost immediately and then let the correctness (i.e. legality) of the action be sorted out after the fact by dispute mechanisms. It seems the EU Commission can decide to do this itself which is I suppose is what you'd expect as TCA is a trade agreement. Maybe that ability to retaliate fast is standard for such trade agreements (? again no expert), but I wonder if it reflects a lack of mutual trust after how the withdrawal process went. After a year of Covid-19 and the UKs selfish actions and unhelpfulness around vaccine procurement not to mention NI Protocol mess, I imagine trust between the EU and UK and between the UK and member states must be completely in the toilet!

However I'm unsure what it all actually means if EU and member states conclude the UK is not implementing the NI protocol at all + has no intentions of ever doing so, rather than this being some dispute over aspect of implementation. That document from UK government was asking to suspend NI Protocol and reopen some new negotiations outside it. It is not (I think?) calling on these dispute mechanisms within Withdrawal agreement itself. e.g: if they think the Customs checks for NI, data sharing etc. the EU is now expecting are disproportionate & unenvisaged in the Protocol somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,976 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The press has stopped talking about Brexit, so that may be a big factor. It's currently stuff about Covid restrictions, the 'pingdemic', migrants crossing the channel, the war on woke, Harry and Meghan etc. The tabloids do seem to drive the narrative.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

So Europe is as much an issue for the electorate now as it was when Dave called his pointless referendum back in 2015. Isn't that the real tragedy of It? And we know the average mainlander, for want of a better phrase, hasn't the first notion about anything to do with NI and probably could care less if it was cut off and left to drift up the North Sea. No news there.

It's not that they don't care about Europe but Brexit fatigue set in a long time ago and now Johnson has got it done and been rewarded with a big majority for doing it interest has waned.

Of course Johnson knows the NI protocol is not going to be re-negotiated but on the other hand he also knows some European capitals are sympathetic to his complaints - I see no reason for there not to be a compromise over things like non-inspection of goods clearly destined for NI only - but obviously goodwill is in short supply on both sides at the moment.

Tbh I think a compromise over a fudge is in everyone's best interests and that includes Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭McGiver

The conclusion is that the Orange folks (the real ones, the Dutch) are 58% more efficient at carrying physical checks. 😎

Poots should build proper custom posts so that the EU staff can be properly "orange" and match the Orange folks' productivity. After all, the DUP love the orange colour...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The EU wasn't an issue for the electorate back in 2015. They were made think it was though!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭McGiver

Not a bargaining chip. It's basically the only card they can play to destabilise, threaten and blackmail the EU. They want and need a permanent conflict and instability with regards the EU. Honestly, Frost et al are fast approaching Russian foreign policy tactics at this stage.

Except UKIP had triumphed at the European elections the previous year forcing Cameron's hand into promising a referendum so actually Europe was a massive issue for the electorate in 2015.

These days I can't recall the last time Brexit or the EU came up in my local.

It's a non-issue.Everyone except AC Grayling and Alastair Campbell has moved on.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

But there was no public clamour for a vote before 2016, it never registered with the electorate as an issue of significance until Cameron made it happen and suddenly the idea of being free and independent again, of sticking one to fritz and, whisper It, getting a few undesirables out, began to have its appeal. I'm not having a go, brexit is complex and difficult and beyond the scope of most ordinary people to grasp or even have a genuine interest in. I think in many cases it was just a temporary fix for lots of people, a shot in the arm and probably worth paying a price to get it.

I presume the likes of Orban can always be counted on for support but i think the most important capital in all this might be Washington. Fudge does seem inevitable though, i think you are correct there.

• Administrators Posts: 53,342 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I'm not looking to change their minds, what's the point? They've made their bed, there's not much that can be done at this stage to help them. But we can call a spade a spade and recognise that what is happening is exactly what was predicted to happen, it turns out Brexit is all a bit crap.

Why would they compromise on the protocol? This is a totally nonsensical position, but unfortunately it's par for the course for the sort of absolute illogical rubbish being spouted by our neighbours in GB.

The EU are living up to an agreement that they negotiated with the Prime Minister of the UK. This deal was apparently so unbelievably good for the UK that the Prime Minister of the UK was crowing about it every opportunity he got. It earned him that majority you spoke of.

I think Ireland's best interests is in ensuring that the NI Protocol is implemented in full, in fact the suggestion of anything to the contrary is genuinely delusional stuff.

As for the other EU capitals being sympathetic, again you display the same remarkable ignorance on this subject as the UK government has shown for 5 years. They never did wrap their head around the fact that they would never be negotiating with individual EU countries, but rather the bloc as a whole.

Yes, it is such a non-issue that the UK Government are happy to turn themselves and their country into a laughing stock by seeking to renegotiate an agreement that they themselves negotiated, as it turns out they didn't really understand what they were doing.

Some of the nonsense posted on this subject is unbelievable.

It is fairly clear that over the next number of years the reality of just what exactly the Brits voted for is going to dawn on them. Without wanting to repeat myself, we're now in Brexit for slow learners territory.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Ha - not sure where that (58 %) comes from. Looking at what the article calls the "physical checks" (seem to be the most disruptive type of the 3 and there's also figures stated for both edit: NI and Rotterdam to compare)...The 70 staff in Rotterdam are doing 843 of these "physical checks" per year each, vs 266 per year each for the 15 in NI.

So 200 % more checks per year each than the unfortunate/fortunate staff in NI - yay!

The NI physical checks would make up ~ 6 % of an estimated combined total over the 2 months (666/(666 + 9833)). That seems quite high given NI is small and there must be massive vols of trade through Rotterdam, but as mentioned it is a weird situation. It can be nowhere near the "20 % of checks across the entire EU external border" UK govt. is making out. 

They must be comparing apples and oranges (!) somehow when it comes to these "checks" to come up with 20 % if figures in RTÉ article are right so the stat is misleading.

You may think it's a bit crap but clearly the majority of people who voted in the referendum for it don't agree with you.

Although Covid makes it difficult to asses the impact of Brexit in the short-term it's virtually impossible to say what will happen in 10 or 20 years time - most economic forecasting institutions get most of their long-term predictions wrong.

But in purely political terms Johnson and his administration are still seen by a majority of people polled regularly to be doing the right thing over Brexit and Covid.You may well disagree with their sentiment but the facts are clearly there to see.

• Advertisement

Yes, the facts are certainly clearly there for all to see. They become clearer with each passing day for all who wish to see them.

For 5 years now the UK has been in denial about this whole process. They thought a few phone calls to the Germans about cars, the French about wine, the Italians about prosecco would see the EU beg for mercy in the easiest trade deal in history and Ireland would be thrown under the bus. I think some poor fools still think this is the case.

Instead, Ireland got what it wanted, the UK did what it was told, and the British Government is now having to publicly humiliate itself by rubbishing it's own deal. Remarkable. And you think it's in Ireland's interest to renegotiate for a fudge instead? Absolute nonsense, I'm not even sure Boris Johnson is naïve enough to think this would ever happen.

But, the blue passports are back, so there is that.

Where is this laughing stock ? I travel around Europe a lot on business and I don't meet anyone who thinks the UK is a laughing stock. Many disagree with Brexit but respect and in some cases admire the UK's decision to carry out the result of the referendum.

And only the idiotic fall for the popular press caricature of Johnson has a bumbling fool.Most European leaders would give their right arm to have his continued popularity after more than a year of the pandemic.

In my line of work people are more than happy to do business in the UK - it's a strong market and often their major export destination.

It's why I think there'll be a compromise over the protocol which is clearly not working in the way it was designed.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Strange. My experience is the opposite. I deal with people across Europe (EU and non-EU) every day and when Brexit and the UK are being discussed, not once has someone said that it was anything but a daft idea. People has lost respect for the British due to all of teir carry-on over the last five years (although I'm not convinced there was a large amount before then either). For the record, I'm dealing with professionals, from junior staf right up t senior management.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,976 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I would say they have stopped discussing it - but that is 'not' the same thing as Brexit having gone away. How can it? The UK has a political and economic bloc of 450m right on its doorstep and the relationship with it is fractious.

Brexit is not over or settled, even if the organ grinders in the English tabloids don't wish to discuss it.

Johnson's 80-seat electoral majority effectively lanced the Brexit boil.Politically disagreements will rumble on until both sides settle into the uncomfortable truce required by two trading partners.But business and commerce has already adapted and certainly here in the UK Brexit has become a non-issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Most Britains wanted some Covid restrictions to remain in place in the run up to 'freedom day' and YouGov polls have a majority of people saying Johnson is performing badly. Like you say the facts are clearly there to see so I don't know where you're getting your belief that polls are saying the exact opposite to what they actually are.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Lol. I don't remember "vote leave to make things better in 10 or 20 years" on the side of any bus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

People are just being polite and probably assume you're British. Even my postman here in Germany thinks the UK has gone mad. How do I know? Because when I started having to give him money for parcels from there he said so. Everyone here thinks they've gone mad, except our own anti-EU loons.

All the Brits I know here bar one think the UK has gone mad.

The knives are being sharpened for Johnson by the way. Inside his own nasty party.

Advertisement