Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Summer 2021 General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

The last couple of evenings you really notice just those tiny few minutes of twilight that have been lost. Still useably bright out now but darker that it would have been at this time even a week ago.

New Moon

This is a lovely shot and makes me just long for Autumn all the more. Something special about seeing moonlight scenes like that on a cool crisp autumn evening.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 5,789 ✭✭✭appledrop

Oh no lads looks like another sleepness night for me. I know temperature is dropping at DA but not even a whiff of breeze coming into room to cool it down. Its nearly pointless having the windows open.

Marine Layer will you send it my way, dying here with the heat!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,443 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Should be a yellow warning for thunderstorms from late tomorrow morning until midnight. Some spectacular and occasionally, locally intense lightning storms possible across the central strip of the country in a line roughly Wicklow/Kildare across to Galway/Mayo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Try get a draft going throughout your house to get things flowing. Try windows on opposite sides of the house with doors etc. open in their path to try get things moving. Not all houses lend to it but a bit of tinkering and trying different combo's of windows and you might be able to get some air moving.

I'm lucky in that between front and back door we have a long hallway and a long kitchen. Front door is hotter side of house (sun facing) and back door is cooler side which is perfect for generating a draft. Get really really nice air flow no matter the 'wind' outside.

Otherwise it's a long and slow decrease in temperature even with our North Dublin chill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭External Association

21 min gone off the evenings since the solstice for much of the country and 29 min later sunrise today. 50 min approx less daylight than the solstice today.

Thanks for tips John. Icy. I'm lucky I have bay windows so usually great you open them all on different sides and great air rushes in + door open aswell. Think it was Monday or Tues night it was bliss nearly cold with breeze.

Unfortunately not a whiff tonight so no luck. Ah well what can I do but only hope it gets colder as night goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Yep seeing the same here, Saorview frequently freezing and stuttering

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Yes that's true. I always think from around the 25th of July or so that the shortening of the days start to become more noticeable certainly by the very end of July anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,727 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

The county has natural features for high and low temperatures.

The hedge is the 300 metre hills that surround the borders of the county and the much lower flatter interior around Kilkenny city.

At the time of the temperature the site was evaluated and it was deemed to have been taken at a suitable site at Kilkenny Castle, and the instruments were found to be working properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

For the past 3 nights in a row I've had a small hand towel by my side while using the computer, purely just to dab my head every 5 minutes. I've ordered a desk fan - something I should've bought at the start of the bloody week. Prime Amazon account and not making any damn use of it.

Speaking of fans, they're fair scarce!! Not surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,443 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Even on Sunday temperatures widely in to the mid 20's up to around 27c for some. Getting cooler from then on. Make sure to make the most of the weekend.

Thats caused by tropospheric ducting

Basically in high pressure, far away signals reach your area that shouldn't and when they are on the same frequency as your local transmitter,they jam each other

Back in analog days you'd get parallel lines running across your uhf signals picture

With digital you lose reception altogether when the visiting signal confuses your tvs decoder such that it can't decode the signal at all

The good news is,if you tune in any other nearby saorview transmitter that you're normally not recommended to use but can receive, you can switch to that one for this spell

The interference can come from the North ,Scotland or the North of England incredibly

We get perfect French digital TV roaming into Arklow in this weather from a transmitter in Brittany

Pie in the sky FI but GFS has Azores ridging strongly by 2 August.

A week of cool and showery can change to warm and settled very quickly. It follows through for days. So no need to write off August!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

Felt a lot more comfortable in the garden this evening, not sure if it is me acclimatising, the beer (weekend starting for me) or were conditions a bit better. Maybe a combination of all these.

Know from being in hot climates it usually takes a good week for me to acclimitise.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

The last 6 days mean maximum has been 29.8c here in Durrow.

If somehow we manage a 31c here tomorrow that will help push the average to 30.0c over the seven days.

Incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭loughside

01.00am and the western shore of lough neagh giving a sultry 23C 😎

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I notice it more in the early morning as I am up to call Canada then, Still almost dark even now, at nearly five

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Back from my early ramble. It is seriously warm out there. Flat calm. Every type of clouds And I never remember seeing that striped layer of cloud over the ocean before.

Another tropical night in Valentia, by the looks of things.

Was the term 'tropical nights' even a thing before now, or is this yet more invented terminology for mass media consumption so they can put it in inverted commas so as to make a big money making 'news' story out of it?

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

I’m absolutely wrecked now ! Need a good nights sleep soon .

Top 3 highest 7 day (up to yesterday) mean maxima at the reporting Met Eireann stations:

1. Mt. Dillon: 29.4c
    2. Athenry: 28.5c
    3. Shannon Apt: 28.4c

Of all of those reporting stations, only Malin Hd is below the 20c mark for this 7 day period.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

My big memory of this heatwave will be the really warm mornings and evenings. 21 degrees at 8am again at Phoenix park. A remarkable run of weather and this weekend good again with temps in the low 20s and dry. Remarkable run of weather. I thought the weather was to breakdown after today but looks like next week now. Met eireann have it as 23 degrees in Dublin on Monday too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Hey look AT THIS...

kinda ironic that the 'orange' counties should be there 😙

• Registered Users Posts: 33,727 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Looking forward to the cooler nights that will come.

Another very warm to hot day ahead, hoping for thunderstorms....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Not even 11am and we're just on 27c in Durrow. Hardly a puff of air out. Clear sky.

Advertisement