Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Advice on budget of 15K... Renault megane?

• 18-07-2021 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭

Good people of Boards, really hoping someone can help.

I sold my last car near 6 + years ago as I was living in the city center and had no use for one. Times have changed, moved to the suburbs, new job etc. etc.....now I need a motor.

I've approx. 15K budget and would be doing between 10k-15k km per year.

Would anyone have any advice or suggestions of where to look in Dublin for reasonably priced cars?

In more general terms, I've spotted a 2017 Renault Megane GC Dynamique S at just above budget, which would be a runner... anyone have any experience of these?

Also, have been looking at Keary's car store, whom have a "no haggle policy", anyone know if there's wiggle room on this if paying cash?

Any thoughts are appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Comments

At 15k I'd be going to Michael Grant if your in the city centre or Linders in Finglas or Chapelizod as you can negotiate price and good peace of mind. Kearys is full of ex rentals and they don't go down on price, personally I'd go main dealer

All 3 options in the megane are great in terms of the hatchback, estate and saloon.

Personally, I'd go for the estate and look for a Dynamique or GT Line model - I think the Dynamique has nicer seats but the GT line looks a bit better on the interior imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Be prepared for an extortionate insurance quotation. If you haven't had a policy in the last five years you probably won't have a no claims discount when it comes to taking out insurance. You could be paying three or four times what your last premium was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭TheSheriff

Yup :( Unfortunately aware of this! Its very frustrating..... have ~10 years + driving exp with no claims, but none will be recognized.

Unfortunately no matter when we buy a car we will be faced with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,109 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Your no claims bonus is recognised for 2 years after your last insurance policy expires. This has been pretty standard across the board with insurance companies here for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

If circumstances meant you weren't going to be driving for the near future but would be in a few years it would nearly be worthwhile having a banger declared off the road and insure it every third year. You'd probably come out ahead over the best part of a decade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,109 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Problem with that is that most insurance companies now insist on the car having a valid NCT where applicable.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭GusGus

If going for a megane - gc then don’t go poverty spec . There should be a good few around and you should be able to negotiate a decent discount . Remember the GC is the new fluence and these cars are still sought after and are considered bullet proof .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,567 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I'd personally be going for a dynamique s nav atleast as they come with nicer wheels,bigger screen etc. The GT line seats might not be too your liking but that spec looks a bit nicer. They are very reliable, the only common problem I seen them have was the screen going black which results in a new one been needed

Cheers thanks; quite like the s nav spec after seeing one.

Thanks all for the help and advice on this thread. Managed to pick up a 182D diesel automatic Dynamique S nav for 16k..... some good value to be had out there on second hand diesels at the minute.

• Advertisement
Advertisement