Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Considering the recent re-vamp will you continue to use boards?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭tcif

No

Maybe, but unlikely. For years I've been a regular (almost daily!) browser, occasional poster, but I'm sorry to say the new site is woeful. It's extremely difficult to find anything now and the navigation is not user friendly at all. There's always a learning curve when something familiar changes but this is more than that. This has just missed too many marks in the migration. Very disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Im trying really hard to get used to it, but im very close to just giving up.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

No

Its chaotic , cant find anything back and want the black theme back

Its way to white

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭jones

Yes

I keep getting notifications for every post in a forum i do not subscribe to and cant seem to stop it. Been using Boards for a LONG time i dont know why they didn't go down the app route would have made it much more user friendly IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭notfromhere

Boards was a very good site, but now it is just a nightmare to use, and as for the trying to use it on your phone its rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,129 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

My usage has dropped right off. Notifications has been broken for me for at least 6 months. Now the new changes I just can't find things. I've started using other forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,000 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Yes

I will, but I hope to goodness it gets better than it currently is. It's horrible to use at the moment and I'm only really just popping in occasionally to see if it's anywhere near usable yet, and at present it isn't.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,072 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

This . It was very good site with a lot of anonymous posters that I kinda knew about , and could have craic with.

Particularly in scoccer , AH and FG.

Before that it was F&F.

Now it is disaster. Even quoted posts only show the first line or two meaning you have to click on it , leave the thread to view it.

Nothing kills a ' discussion ' like having to leave it to continue it ,if that makes sense.

Also the 'my posts' the 'view thanks' were integral.

This should be in a feedback thread but its too much hassle to find it.

I understand that the old site needed upgrading but this is NOT A UPGRADE.

I will probably keep my account as its 11 years old i think , but as for actual participation, I'm not sure.

I'm not particularly tech savvy about changing the view i get on the touch site , but that's the only site I use. I'm not in an office all day on a pc , and I only use my phone so this is a chore to navigate. Pity

Also funny how in this thread, most of the YES answers are from new posters with very few posts , while most of the older guard are more circumspect.

Perhaps its just ' natural law' but its really a chore to post / view .

Yes

For now yes, but for all the recent improvements there’s just something stopping me coming back to it for the most part. I’d always have clicked my followed threads and caught up on all the unread stuff, maybe posted a few bits. Now that just seems so much harder to do and see. A lot of it could be just getting used to doing things a bit differently but the whole site just doesn’t look right - differentiating between read and unread or followed and unfollowed just isn’t natural at all. Not landing on where you left off on a thread is a joke at this stage too. Would be too knee jerk to just leave it so this early but it’s unfathomable how they’ve fucked it up so badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,072 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I do realise this IS feed back but even editing isn't obvious

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

No

I'm leaning towards no. Not because I'm throwing in the towel, but because the site simply isn't functional. I posted on a thread and then had to use the search function, trying to remember the thread title, to follow up with it again.

You can't get over that level of broken I don't think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,917 ✭✭✭appledrop

Yes

I voted yes but only because I love the weather forums. I won't bother with any others anymore.

The new layout is crap.

I used to love finding and reading random threads but couldn't be bothered anymore.

In and out now in 5 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭bmc58

Yes

Not a problem for me.I mostly use a PC and have found that the transfer has been fairly OK.It takes a bit of getting used to .But slowly getting the hang of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,560 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Yes

Yes but not as much

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭bmc58

Yes

Gave up Twitter after about six years.Too much aggro on there for me.And too many bots on there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

No

I voted 'No' because I just can't see the site improving to a level that comes close to the functionality or aesthetics as the previous incarnation.

I will caveat my decision as I may continue to post in a private forum but that will be the height of it.

Even if all the kinks are worked out (unlikely) the touch site is just visually horrendous to the extent that I have zero interest in opening it.

I'm still in the habit of opening the site multiple times a day due to muscle memory but each time I do, I immediately regret it.

I still can't believe how bad this is, Vanilla is an accurate and apt name, synonymous with blandness, lack of character, unexciting and basic.

God help the place if it has not significantly improved by August.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭Mech1

I would like to vote no but I can't find the option, so that's another problem I have just found, I'm really pissed off with boards.ie ATM.

Vote with your feet, don't log on for a month. Should get a reaction if we all participate.

I'm deleting my account , tomorrow that's how pissed off I am I have been here since October 1994 but this is the only option.

Edited cause I can't find how to delete it now!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

No

Much harder to scoot around than it used to be, why the heck isnt 'topics' in alphabethical order any more for example?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

No

I cant find anything. Its difficult to navigate. Its unuser friendly. Lets be honest. The site has been FUBARed

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

I honestly can't see myself using it now, it's unusable tbh, there's just no order to the site now, everything is all over the place.

Is this really how they wanted it to be? because if it is it's just madness, because it's 20x worse than what it was before.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1m1tless

No

Yes and no.

Of course I will still use boards. But much less than I used to. It's such a pain to navigate.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭smiddyboy

No

I'm using the site alot less since the re-vamp. I've not a big poster but used to come to read the boards very frequently.

Frankly it's a mess and not user friendly. I can't see how anyone thought that the current setup is an improvement. Did anyone actually test the new site before migrating it over?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

My experience has been tainted for sure, will hang in for a while to see if things improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,959 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Yes

Struggling on, desktop is mostly fine - still some niggles but it's grand. Mobile is woeful though. Can see myself becoming a desktop only, and far less frequent, visitor though... Sad...

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭TedR

I like Boards so reluctant to opt out, but despite trying to engage with the new format I am finding it tough going

Really dislike the update. Functionality and general cohesiveness has been lessened, not improved

Where is 'My Forums' tab gone? I mean why would you remove a feature that many people would have found useful? Or is there, and I am not able to navigate to it?

Anyway, trying to get along with the changes. Not good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,033 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Yes

About as much, maybe less fun than the year boards got hacked but like then these issues will blow over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

No

Amazing considering Quake wasn't even released until 1996!

Advertisement