Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle infrastructure planned for south Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

• Registered Users Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭Macy0161

tomasrojo wrote: »
    They did that lower down the hill on that road, near the school, when there were works on the water infrastructure, and they still haven't replaced the kerbs, and I suspect they're not going to.
    They were still working on that bit yesterday - looked like they were resurfacing. It's a mess anyway.

Well, let's hope for the best. Have to give them a chance, I suppose. I think the response to the separation is overall very positive. I have heard a few drivers complain about the right-angled turns, and one driver tell me that when he was cycling he would have disliked them, because they cause congestion, and congestion causes bike-car collisions, but mostly positive reactions, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,985 ✭✭✭✭Stark

https://twitter.com/rneville1/status/1412151782998937601

Sounds very suspect to me. Motorists ringing up pretending to be cyclists?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,075 ✭✭✭buffalo

Stark wrote: »
    Sounds very suspect to me. Motorists ringing up pretending to be cyclists?

Not every cyclist is a goody-two-shoes environmentalist. ;)

Were they literally just kerbs, or was there a low barrier?

• Advertisement

Low kerb, and wands. Wands would maybe enough, if reinstated, tbh.

I did see a cyclist hit the kerb trying to pass another cyclist on that road. Not sure if they didn't register the kerb because it's low and grey. They were ok though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,075 ✭✭✭buffalo

The Mannix vote change, looks like he won over some Sandymount voters:

https://twitter.com/PaddyMatthews/status/1415440461293043715/photo/3

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

The temporary cycles lanes along seapoint & BlackRock is starting to show wear and tear. Lots of lose debris after the heavy rain

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Mannix is helping protect vulnerable road users again in his usual pro-car way by resetting pedestrian lights back to their pre-covid timings...

Ooh and I see Cllr Deirdre Conroy is obviously annoyed at her electorate and is seeking revenge...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

she's a strange one. she claims to have a background in architectural conservation and planning. you'd expect her to have some reasonable views.

Without wanting the conversation to become political, I'm surprised that anyone with a background in architectural conservation and planning would join FF (or possibly FG for that matter)

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭yascaoimhin

Her entire MO is preservation. She doesn't approve of change, she's a conservative when it comes to the city and any change is bad and impacts on the city's heritage.

in her mind, everything is fine the way it is and efforts to improve must actually be bad somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,965 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

She's the last person I want to defend, but she's not the only heritage architect I've met with near total resistance to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

The public had their say anyway and poor Deirdre was left out in the cold, so hopefully the party learns something from that (finally).

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Cycled from northside all the way to Dun Laoghaire today with my son - was an amazing experience to see our city being transformed - amazing how the North inner city is being reclaimed from industry and to be honest social depravation. Anyway - there is a great opportunity on the south keys - but it all comes to an end - I ended up cycling up a ramp into a pub at Brewdog at three locks square - is there any plan to join any of that up with Ringsend ?

Anyway - we went out to Strand Road - and was sad to see that there basically is no progress on the full coastal route there. Crazy stuff - just get a small bit of the grass like Clontarf and get on with it.

You get a bit lost and the surfaces are very poor till you eventually find the new path. What a job - great effort in Blackrock too - but feels a bit dangerous . We eventually go back on track and it was such a joy. A day we will not forget. I went all the way back to Malahide.

I know we are only about 25 % there - but you can see the thing coming together - many people deserve a good bit of credit for having a long term vision to improve cycling.

I know it is not perfect - and we still need to give it a faster harder push to finish it.

But it was the first time in my life, I felt that we are taking back control of our city.

And I'm a car lover.

What a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

There is a plan for a pedestrian and cycling bridge to span the Dodder from Brewdog over to Ringsend. As far as I know it is all part of a larger plan to link up the proposed Irish Glass bottle site to the city for cyclists and pedestrians. The recent closing off of Cambridge Road to through traffic is welcome as well although the surface is very poor. Plans from Irishtown to Blackrock Park (where you hopefully rejoined the cycle path) are constantly changing and evolving but hopefully in your lifetime you can make it across the city to Dalkey on segregated cycling infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,050 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Well this is the problem isn't it.

The cycleway belongs on the grass promenade, but some are fighting tooth and nail to put it on the roadway just to stick it to motorised traffic. They are also rolling out the 'biosphere' excuse for it not being possible, whereas in reality the UNESCO designation covers half the City and its water catchments and as you mention yourself, the off road cycleway and flood works on Clontarf Road exist with no problem,(not to mention the incinerator and poo factory within the "biosphere") so we can leave that plump red herring to one side!

In any case, we await with patience the learned ruling from the High Court, which considering its now mid-summer, likely won't now materialise until the Michaelmas term in October.

By which time of course the normalisation of society will have continued and the justification for the City Council's efforts will have evaporated anyway.

What a terrible waste of time that could have progressed the absolutely viable off-road option and given this man some hope.

• Advertisement

Totally agree, such a stupid idea to close Strand Road Northbound and move that heavy traffic onto the Merrion Road.

The Merrion Road is a better route to town, nicer cycle through Ballsbridge and onto Merrion Sq etc, much nicer thsn going into Ringsend and onto Pearse street.

It would have been impossible to turn right across moving traffic to get to Strand Road, you would have to dismount, wait for lights to change and then maybe wait for Dart to pass.

You would be half way to the city if you stayed on Merrion Road.

This whole plan is a monumental waste of money and there is no accountability, its no wonder the turnout in the local election was so poor, you ask yourself what is the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

That’s some plump red herring that was used in court against the council then with environmental impact studies being demanded. You can’t have it both ways…nonsense but we want to use it in court.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

You've recently stated elsewhere that your a town planner (presuming you mean urban ad that term is fairly archaic)

If you are, and I don't believe you are, I am astonished at some of the pig ignorance you've shown to the benefits of the proposed changes and would consider you woefully unemployable for such a job

The people most opposed to this, Flynn and Conroy got 7% of the vote overall..not exactly representative of hige number the people who they claim are against these changes.

That Flynn keeps running and getting such a woeful return should tell him something

Having cycled the Merrion road to Merrion square route mentioned early, only this week, only someone sat behind the wheel of a vehicle could describe Ballsbridge onwards as "nice to cycle".

Well thankfully I'm not relying on you for a job so, but the developers I've worked for for over 30 years have always been pretty satisfied with the outcomes.

I do say town planner because I'm old school (why that winds people up I'll never know) and I've worked in both the public sector (early on) and private sector. Ive sat on working groups for regional and national spatial planning, I deal with real life, real society in this Country and real economic development. You'll find plenty of my colleagues working for the likes of An Taisce and various other environmental and transport lobby groups and I'd make the opposite argument about some of them as you make about me, that they set aside the economic imperatives of their work because they are too wedded to idealism and academia rather than realistic planning and the fast changing needs of people and business.

And maybe that's the nature of the game. And by the way don't insult me like that again or I'll report you for it, I've done nothing but suggest alternative views (which have widespread support in that local area). The irony of you describing them as pig ignorance when you're so blinkered and utterly inflexible in your own way is something else. And for a Mod to be so easily baited and quick to anger and personalise is actually disgusting.

I suspect you're more than a little sore because you recognise now that Strand Road will never happen in the way proposed by the City a year ago, but that's still no excuse for playing the man.

No, you've purposely misrepresented an awful lot of opinion as fact. That's not presenting an alternative view.

It's a backward Irish way of thinking that's preventing any substantial and purposeful progression in making Dublin and other similar urban environs less car centric.

If the advice from townplanners is to think of every way possible to not remove vehicular traffic, then we have a serious problem.

It is, if that is what we are being paid to do. Don't be naive about that.

As a practical example, if the planners involved with the Poolbeg and IGB sites nearby (and I'm not one) were to lose Strand Road and not be able to demonstrate capacity for a mix of mobility options, it could jeopardise the intensive development of that zone and the loss of several thousand homes from the pipeline. Do you think anyone in power is going to permit that?

• Advertisement

For the sustainability of our kind, it's imperative that urban planners think beyond the car.

Mixed mobility options? That's what's being nixed. Our planners, be they urban or town have helped create an absolute mess of a city and now ideas, trials and options to potentially better it for the wider society are being shouted down because it simply goes against what people are used to. The mere idea if change is met with resistance.

Private developers having too much say in what happens where and planning is just one of many reasons why Dublin, is a painful city to navigate at times and it shouldn't be given it's size.

The various councils and public bodies have also had a major hand in the problems, but it's to them to fix them, and minority mouthpieces like mannix Flynn should be given short shrift for the greater good

Advertisement