Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drogheda Restaurant Reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭gipi

I'd say that if you spoke to John the owner of the Valley, he might consider putting pancakes on the menu - worth a try!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Quite possibly - himself and Jackie are lovely! I'll try to remember next time I'm in :)

The Pheasant and The Black Bull have announced on their Facebook pages that they are not opening indoor service next week, but will continue with outdoor service only.

I'd imagine the Valley Inn and Donegan's might do the same, they have decent areas outside so why bother with the hassle until later in the year. I'd say there's also an issue for them and their like in that they would have moved a lot if not all of their furniture outside so probably have no tables and chairs for people to sit at inside now and that wouldn't be sustainable for them to buy to accommodate both.

I read that Trinity Quarter have also decided not to open indoors.

• Advertisement

Good call, enfilade, the Valley Inn have decided not to move indoors either

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

There seems to be a bit of a campaign to vilify those places that are opening indoors, The Hops had to take their announcement post down because of the abuse they received.

I'm not convinced about the places rejecting the indoor eating for the good of their staff either. I'm sure there is an economic calculation in terms of compensation, or other benefits that may be a factor, but that could just be my scepticism of the typical Irish publican.

Point of note, The Black Bull is no longer doing takeaway pints, they are so busy apparently. That's one way to treat those loyal customers who kept them going.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

Watch how many places open indoor when the rain and bad weather comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Stayed in the D hotel last night. Ate outdoors in hops restaurant. Had the option of eating indoors. Service and food was really good. Couldn't fault it. Just had breakfast there now in the hotel and it was A1

Went to No. 3 in Collon on Saturday night - food was beautiful, service absolutely shocking! Loads of staff in the place and none of them doing anything from what we could see.

We got a lovely seat in the marquee outside when we arrived. Order was taken swiftly enough but there was no drinks menu on the table. Mr. CL asked for a coke, I asked to see the drinks menu. They brought it and then never came back to take the order. His coke came, I ordered my drink, 15 minutes later, no sign of it & can't catch anyone's attention. Waitress came with the cutlery, I asked about the drink & she said "oh there was a delay but I saw her just now making it". Ten minutes later, another waitress comes over to ask me what drink I had actually ordered 🤦‍♀️

Eventually got the drink but the service continued to be terrible. We didn't order starters but we were waiting for nearly an hour for our mains, then we were left sitting with dirty dishes in front of us for ages. One waitress came and literally pushed the chair in of the table beside us and then walked off without even glancing at us. Eventually they cleared the table and we ordered desserts which were lovely. Same story again though when we were finished, sitting with dirty plates & staff just walking past. Couldn't get anyone's attention to either order another drink or ask for the bill. We did eventually manage to ask someone for the bill but she took that long to go and get it, that we ended up going inside to the till to pay. Would have liked to have commented to them about the service but no one asked us if we had enjoyed the experience. Judging from the other tables around us, we weren't the only ones complaining. Table beside us was complaining that they had to ask for two cokes three times & the table behind us were only getting their main courses at 10pm & they were there before we arrived at 8.15pm! Such a pity because the food was lovely but the service really lets it down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 blahblahblah45

The service in No.3 in Collon is always shocking. Have had a couple of bad experiences there with service so don’t bother with it even though we’re local and the food is lovely. Just couldn’t be arsed waiting hours for orders and chasing down staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Echo this. It's always been a problem and it puts us off going, despite the fact I really like the food.

We hadn't been there in about a year & while I remembered it being a bit on the slow side, I don't recall it being quite so bad. Pity as the food is nice but it's another place added to the "avoid" list :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭washiskin

It's sad to hear the service has become so bad- as everyone says the food is really good. The last time I was there the service was a bit off alright but nowhere near as bad as Cheer Louth experienced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭PGE1970

We were back in The Valley Inn one evening last week for the first time since "re-opening".

The two course menu was great value even with a supplement for the steak. Great food.

The steak was impressive and very well cooked. Service, as always, was polite and efficient.

Recommended (again).

• Registered Users Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

See donegans are closed due to a positive covid case in their team. Hopefully they'll get back open soon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Was in Duende, Colpe cross on Saturday

Just had a main and a pint. We were sat outside and despite a windy, grey evening we were plenty warm.

Both of us thought the food was great. Had a "Spanish Burger" - tasty and kinda spanish?? She had a pasta, with prawn and chorizo, very nice.

Service was excellent, almost too attentive.

You'll notice almost every pub that decided to take the moral ground and not open indoors, also conveniently happen to have a large outdoor area. Easy to take the high ground when you're just stamping on the other pubs in the area that have no outdoor space to compete.

Seems to be a bit of work going on at McPhails this week. First I've noticed since the hording went up around it there. Some lads were filling a skip out front. What was going into it made me fear for the state of the place, lot of earth and moss and rotted wood, stuff you'd likely see with a collapsed roof or flood damage.

I wouldn't be surprised if the roof had fully or partially fallen in...before the hoarding went up, it looked like the whole front of it was going to collapse onto the street :( Hopefully they can restore it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

It may also be a way to ensure the entire team are vaccinated. No vaccine? We won't have you working indoors then.

I know of another business that had issues with a staff member who was anti vaxx and then tested positive putting the rest of the team at risk and closing the business for a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭kjbsrah1

I was so excited to eat out fir the first time since lock down. Me and 2 friends booked a table at Black Bull on a Sunday night. It was not too busy. Got menus fairly quick. Then took ages to get someone to take a drinks order and ask fir the cocktail menu. We ordered our food 3 times as they moved our waiter twice to another section and exact time our order fell through the cracks. Then they forgot to bring our starters, so we just had the mains. Friends had chicken burgers that they said were lovely. I had the fish and chips but had to leave most of the fish as it was not fully cooked. Could not get our servers attention to send it back or get something else. One friend had a nagging of vodka in her bag so we drank that as we just co7ld not get service. Dinner plates were not cleared so we eventually moved to another table. As we were about to leave, our server came back and I mentioned the inedible dinner. Our server apologised, said he would let his manager know. The kitchen was apparently closed so I could not get any food, so I ordered a baileys coffee. We then waited over 40 minutes and we had to leave - minus the baileys coffee as our server never came back. Baby sitters were waiting so I paid the bill and we left.

Well I was no longer in the door but I was sooooooo sick. Did not even make it to the bathroom. I was sick all night and had to take the next day off work. Such a case of food poisoning from the undercooked frozen fish. I called into the Black Bull a few days later to tell them, and despite the really sympathetic lady on the desk who took my details and assured me someone would be in touch, no one has.

just thought I’d share my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

So you enjoyed your starter and mains.

What's the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭furiousox

As mentioned in the review, the noise from the screen, no-one taking our order, menus being left on the table, being asked if we'd like to pay before we'd eaten, staff not wearing masks, no vinegar due to brexit, frozen supermarket scampi, no steak knife, bill never arrived, general disorganisation.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 6,356 ✭✭✭positron

That is brutal - Mrs P also commented they were very disorganized when she was in a few weeks ago. Tea ordered for after dinner came out first etc.

Royal Couisne Ashbourne messed up the most important day of the year for many South Indian folks yesterday. They had taken orders to deliver "Onam Sadhya" (imagine entire Christmas dinner), and they had people waiting all over Dublin / Meath / Louth in various collection points for hours without any information. Finally they delivered four / five hours later than promised and what they delivered was absolutely poor quality stuff - literally watered down currys and half portions of most things. They are getting a lot of negative reviews on Facebook/Google for it, deservedly so.

Lashes, you may have called it correctly! I was collecting takeaway from the Pheasant today, noticed few people outside, they were all indoors!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭cal_chi

Anyone been to The Smugglers Rest in Clogherhead? Menu looks lovely, but not been there before so would welcome people's thoughts. TIA.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Webmechanic

Been to the Smugglers for beer and chips only so far since they reopened. Still seems a nice place, though somewhat disorganized at the moment. The new menus don’t look as good as the old ones possibly due to change in chefs. Noticed they’re still advertising for chefs and other staff so not sure quite what’s going on there. A friend of mine tried their steak at Christmas and declared it the best he’d ever had so he’ll be gutted that chef’s not there anymore! Don’t think much of their vegetarian or vegan options but as they’ve just released a new gluten free menu maybe they’ll do one for the vegetarians and vegans once they’ve got a chef who knows they exist 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

We were at No3 Collon at the end of July and while the service wasn't anything to write home about, it was at least functional. We didn't experience any issues that would make us question going back. Very robotic in nature and not all that friendly, but our plates were cleared on time, food served quickly, and ordering extra drinks worked!

Regarding the food itself, the starters were incredible, mains very good, but desserts a disaster. Between takeaways and eating in we've always had this experience in No3 Collon, I've never been to a restaurant where they get every single dessert so wrong.

Post edited by Atomic Pineapple on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

D'vine yesterday.

Impressive food.

Great service.

I had a main of duck breast that was as good a main as I've ever had.

Advertisement