Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Death is inevitable as well but sure that's life

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I totally disagree. It’s 2021 not 2020. Vaccines work and we are vaccinating 50-60k a day. I have done my bit and I’m fully vaccinated and won’t be going into a “ inevitable “ lockdown for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

You remind me of another poster who was sure there wouldn't be another lockdown and how cork was the model for low transmissions, a week later cork had the worst transmission cases in the country and Ireland was in a lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I think we've done the right thing by slowing down parts of reopening so as to build a bigger vaccine wall, and helping to ensure that people who want a vaccine can get one before Delta is left off the leash was the correct choice for society. I doubt most people however will support restrictions if Covid causes a big problem in unvaccinated people.

The biggest problem will be how to assist people with weak immune systems, and I expect we might need case-by-case interventions rather than general lockdowns (e.g. visiting a nursing home might be partly restricted, hospital staff may need regular boosters, masks on public transport).

You remind of the other posters who seem to be stuck in 2020 when we had no vaccines. We are currently vaccinating 300k a week and we have 68% of adults vaccinated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

20% of the hospitalizations are vaccinated people, do the maths, 30% of the population of Ireland aren't adults, 32% aren't vaccinated, 20% of vaccinated people are in hospital. We still have about 40% of the population able to be affected. We're a long way from the end game still

Lockdown now would basically say we are going to hide in the bunker until we’re out of money and supplies and have to come out

Among the 20% are people admiited with other issues and happened to test positive. A very very small number of vaccinated people are becoming ill enough to be admitted because of covid. You seem to be itching and looking for reasons to have a good auld lockdown that doesn’t surprise me .

Things are moving on. Indoor dining is opening, international travel has begun. There’s no one planning lockdowns. As a fully vaccinated person the days of the 5km limit for me are long gone. The government have said themselves the link is breaking between cases and hospitals.

Don’t get me wrong, i’m still happy to do my bit. Keeping my distance from people i don’t know, and i have no issue wearing masks. I wear them everyday for my work. Used to them now. I do think it’s the right move for vaccinated only to be allowed indoor dining temporarily until we get more of the population vaxxed.

However i can’t see another 5km lockdown happening again, especially for the vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

she was saying we would be 6000 cases a day by end august. not challenged at all by o connor. but at least I got the grass cut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭prunudo

Until a time that these 'experts' stop receiving airtime and their opinions go unchallenged, covid and the never ending restrictions and controls will continue.

There are plenty of people out there who still believe everything that is reported as fact. Just as the media were complicit in the celtic tiger crash with their reliance on property ad revenue, they are complicit in the countries covid response with their reliance on ad revenue from government departments.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Have cases broadly plateaued? Or could we see the Ni equivalent of 4500 in the coming weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,552 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

PMMeUrDogs posted this in the travel megathread by accident so I'll post it here.

1345 cases

105 in hospital

21 ICU

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

21 in ICU for a nation of 5m people, this madness needs to stop now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Unfortunately plenty more of this to run, Delta this delta that and on to the next more transmissible one and the next, take the jab….

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭PmMeUrDogs

Cheers! I'm a disaster on this new layout 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

You're misunderstanding my point there Fintan. You should cool the jets.

Cases will almost certainly go up - it's hardly irrational to point that out. Stating that alone isn't a forecast of misery

But now the question is whether that - rising cases - is as much of an issue anymore. That's the question that no one has the answer to at this moment in time.

Obviously vaccination has made a huge difference and will continue to make a huge difference. 1400 cases now doesn't have the same implications has it had at earlier points of the pandemic, clearly it doesn't - the hospital figures speak for themselves.

It could easily turn out to be entirely manageable and a phase we can get through and push on with further reopening and less restrictions. I'm not forecasting doom there - you just jumped to conclusions off your own bat.

Post edited by Arghus on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Hearing snippets of news from my holidays. Could someone send NPHET & ISAG off on their summer break.

1. Goalpost move re vaccine and now throwing around 90% for herd immunity? What next 99.99%, 100% plus boosters, ‘Vaccine plus’ - a new ISAG concept that means we all get vaccinated & live with draconian, never ending restrictions anyway. Are they ignoring Scotland and England, which they’ve used to drum up fear re Delta variant now when it doesn’t suit?
    2. Deciding to label children as ‘unvaccinated’ - this has got my blood boiling. Imagine to in-still this kind of language in people, to attack a family unit, to attempt to shame families and restaurants into ‘making their own decisions’. Imagine for children who are aware of what is going on somewhat, picking up on cues of ‘vaccinated diners’, stares, frowns, etc. What an utter disgrace of a suggestion from NPHET, and the language being used is clearly just a ploy to try and force children into taking a vaccine they don’t need.
    3. Why isn’t NPHET adjusting their infamous modelling scenario on Delta based on Scotland’s and England numbers this week. The modelling has formed the basis for how we live our lives this summer - for smaller weddings, closed indoor dinning & pubs, and curtailments on many more events that are supposed to be happening. They’re very quick to close down, bombard and harass the public with the help of ISAG and try and keep their ‘worrymeter ’ at top notch and not so fast to dial it back down again as required.
    4. Some absolutely ridiculous comments I’ve read from public health doctors this week - Philip Nolan, “We’re getting too close”. Some Public Health HSE West doctor on Morning Ireland on Wednesday, scary scary Delta. She wouldn’t eat indoors at the moment as she wouldn’t feel ‘safe’, despite being double vaccinated.
    Post edited by CruelSummer on

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭gral6

Philip Ryan with his article in Independent about gov going against Holohan's advise and letting children to dine with their parents indoors was the worst one for today. What has Irish journalism turned into?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

I CANNOT DELETE THIS DRAFTED POST WTF IS UP WITH THIS NEW SHITE SITE

Another drop in UK cases today. 31,795 cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,229 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Has the HSE hack been fixed?

Assuming you are on mobile you can delete the post you quoted originally through clicking on the post which will reveal the thrash can to enable you to clear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 rp79

I think the point about adjusting models is hugely important. Are nphet still envisaging the hospitalisation, icu and death numbers they forecasted at the end of June. Additionally these numbers were based on indoor dining opening on July 5. When asked about numbers if it didn’t open, they didn’t have anything to produce and were to provide at a later date. Has their modelling for indoor dining not opening ever been provided? I know people will say they are just models but we are basing the opening/closing of substantial industries on their outputs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Polar101

And 1,307 in Scotland which sounds promising, since they seem to be the ones some politicians (such as Leo Varadkar) are looking at for predictions. They've got 478 in hospital and 60 in ICU.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

And barely a word about it on RTE, surprise surprise.

If there was an equivalent increase in cases over there I guarantee you we'd be hearing about it.

Laughable

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Nolan has been out and about pushing the current models and so far there is no sign of them taking anything else into account. The big question IMO is whether that link between hospitalisations and cases has been broken. Colm Henry has suggested it more than once. If it has, the alarm over case numbers is overstated. We should see over the next week or so where we are on that. You'd have to think with 80%+ on first shots and heading for 70% fully vaccinated that point is really not very far away and whatever peak we hit in hospitals should be fairly low.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Has Colm suggested it with this variant? He definitely said it pre-delta alright. If he suggested it this time too it'd be excellent!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

The Irish Times had an editorial last week about how reckless the UK reopening was. Not a peep out of them this week on the UK. The fear mongering is running out of road at this stage, unfortunately not before immeasurable damage has been done with so many people reeled in and ending up confused or even scared of covid, perfectly healthy and vaccinated people even! There is now some incredible narrative that somehow under 18s need to be vaccinated, I have just been flicking through covid news the last while but surely this is close to a wind up at this stage?! Only the most pig ignorant, covid fantasists would be making these calls I would surmise. Hopefully sense prevails.

Advertisement