Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Alternative News Channel "GB News" chaired by Andrew Neil launching - read OP before posting

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Dave0301

When you actually include social media figures for other news sources like Penn has kindly provided, you begin to see that the views for GB News when taken in context are not all that you make them out to be. That is what happens when you look at things with an impression uncontaminated by bias, hysteria and hyperbole.

7.8 million?

The GB News YouTube Channel started 1 month ago, a few days before the TV channel came live.

By YouTube's own statistics, GB News have accrued almost 12 million direct views so far.

The same inaccuracies apply to Twitter, incidentally.

Socialblade is the poor man's statistical calculator. Everyone knows that, except...

Another failed attempt to undermine the success of GB News, thwarted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,124 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The new followers will be especially worrying as Sky and BBC while have already picked up a large number of its likely subscribers already whereas a new channel should be hoovering up new subscriptions as it is starting from 0. Especially odd seeing as the silent majority are behind GBnews :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,298 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The Socialblade statistic is from the last 30 days, which would be 24th June to 24th July (today).

GB news started on 13th June, 11 days before the 30 days accounted in the Socialblade stat.

Taking averages, 7.8m over 30 days equates to 2.86m over 11 days. 7.8m + 2.86m is 10.66m over 41 days.

Their youtube channel also posted several videos before airing. Taking those views off the 11.86m total views gives 11.45m views.

So taking into account that it'd require going through each individual video over the last 30 days to exactly determine how far Socialblade may be off (as some videos are obviously more popular than others, and they likely had a bigger bump at the start), even a cursory glance and a quick extrapolation of the data gives Youtube views since June 13th of 11.45m and Socialblade data giving approx 10.66m.

So approx. within 10% of Youtube's figures. Not enough to show that the data is in any way wrong enough to disprove the point, especially as the same margin of error is likely attributable to Sky News and BBC News Youtube pages too.

Aside from Socialblade's inherent inaccuracies, why do you posit 10-12 million views in a month as awful?

It's the first month of the channel - and it's a large % when compared to mainstream channels which have been around donkey's years.

More desperation from anti-GB News preachers!

• Advertisement

Is it a large percentage though?

BBC News had nearly 4 times as many viewers as GB News, and in terms of YouTube BBC News had nearly 7 times the views.

Considering you were selling GB News on its YouTube metrics it starts to fall down when you scratch below the surface of your gimmicky catchphrases.

Could GB News improve from here as it builds up? Sure of course it could. However, it is catering for a niche market and those inclined to subscribe and watch the channel will already be doing so. Difficult to see it appealing to a wider audience given the backlash the channel faced when one of its presenters tried to change the narrative.

I do admire your vigorous defence of it and Farage, but your refusal to take on board any other opinions undermines your position.

You're the one lauding the success of their Youtube stats. I'm simply pointing out that in their first few months as a new channel with more attention about their launch, they are trailing behind their more established competitors, and their youtube views aren't translating to viewers of their actual channel which will be the real determinant as to whether the channel succeeds and becomes sustainable.

Sky News and BBC News can rely on other parts of their network to compensate low viewing figures on their News channels. GB News can't.

I could equally apply the rear end of that last sentence to yourself.

Absolutely, but it would work a lot better if you actually engaged with the points I made in my post instead of firing out another throwaway deflection.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

And as has been pointed out to you multiple times , those suggesting that GB News is up against it and that on balance it is unlikely to succeed long term are coming from a base line of objective facts and reality. The facts of their at best mediocre performance thus far during what should be their "honeymoon period" and the over-arching difficultly of running a profitable News channel for anybody anywhere.

Your viewpoint - Whilst wholly understandable in terms of your desire for it to be successful, is largely based on hopes and wishful thinking.

The plain unvarnished facts are that GB News is orders of magnitude more likely to fail than it is to succeed - In some small part due to it's focus on and targeting of a small sub-set of the potential audience which is in and of itself extremely limited and in large part due to the fact that TV News Channels are money pits that don't make money for anyone really.

• Advertisement

You talk about objective reality, yet are making predictions with absolute certainty - the very opposite of objectivity.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

And what exactly do you think you are doing ?

My statement that GB News is far more likely to fail than succeed is objectively accurate - That would be true for any new standalone News channel regardless of content, political leanings or otherwise.

It's a really really hard thing to do , which is why it doesn't happen very often.

GB News could turn out to be a success , but that would make it the exception not the norm.

Allied to their less than great opening 5 or 6 weeks and the general consensus would be that they are currently trending more toward failure than success, regardless of their Social media exposure.

It doesn't mean failure is a certainty of course not , but in gambling terms they are very much a long odds outside bet. I certainly wouldn't be putting the house on them being profitable.

As I've said before - How long they last is entirely a function of how willing the financial backers are to keep funding it, because again the reality is that it will almost certainly never be profitable - Just as Sky News isn't profitable in and of itself , it's losses get covered by the money earned by Sky Sports/Movies etc. - a type of income source not available to GB News.

What I find astonishing is that you're spending so much of your time begging us to believe it's going to fail any day now. Desperately banging on about how failure is imminent, on the horizon. The channel is doomed! Quick, everyone - let's keep obsessing about how it's failing really, really soon!

Why not do what everyone else does, and just wait for (what you believe to be) this apparent inevitability?

If you are so certain, why do you keep banging on about it to an inordinate degree?

If anything, that level of certainty should really make you think about other matters. But it doesn't, alas.

If I believed a channel was doomed to failure, I don't think I'd be spending as much time as you on the Internet begging others to believe it's about to fail any second now.

You're doing, the EXACT same, from the opposing viewpoint.

But yes, most people here are giving their opinions and projections based on current data. If that data changes, people's opinions and projections should change too. "Wait and see" is absolutely valid, but there's also no harm in "This is what I think will happen".

Not at all.

I'd rather discuss the actual channel, the programs, the plans, the progress etc. - the pros as well as the cons.

This dismal, negative doom-laden, "GB News, the world is about to end"-style is not why I'm here.

But it gets dragged up with such depressing regularity that someone has to, at some stage, counter it - and counter it I have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,656 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

But you don't discuss the channel, you discuss youtube, twitter, Facebook etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭uptherebels

What exactly do you believe you have countered? The terrible viewing numbers are recorded fact, they have no other means to sustain themselves, despite your attempts to deflect and obfuscate this hasn't changed.

I'm responding to the negative mountain of posts.

Yet the same stuff gets dragged up over and over and over again.

People are perfectly entitled to discuss the status of the channel as a whole, particularly as this is the Current Affairs forum rather than the Television forum, which may be more suited to discussion of the contents of the programming itself.

And I'm sorry, but you really haven't countered anything. Even our earlier discussion about the Youtube/Twitter numbers, you called into question using Socialblade as a source, then when I pointed out the numbers were still within a reasonable margin of error and didn't change the point I was making...

"More desperation from anti-GB News preachers!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

I applaud GB News for showing coherence with regards to the BLM kneeling

The kneeling at sports events get booed each and every time, people arent going to have it

• Advertisement

That's quite impressive actually, for such a small channel that according to board experts was meant to shut down 2 weeks ago

Gets booed by a tiny minority of low IQ idiots, so basically the type of Neanderthals that GB "news" appeals to.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Gentlemanne

Yeah imagine spending so much of your time begging people to believe in the success or lack thereof of a TV channel. The only thing that is Astonishing here is your lack of self awareness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Coherence? The people who claim to be the champions of free speech and free expression "won't have it" when others dare to express themselves in ways they don't like.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

They haven't. They're pro-free speech except in cases of thoughtcrime.

As for the taking of the knee, people are thankfully having it because it's important despite what the racist cultural chaff think.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

I have to admit, I read you wrong. I had assumed that you were no different from the others who pop up here who follow those types.

I still think you're wrong about GBN but I won't write you off as the typical gullible soul who falls for the kind of nonsense that you describe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,124 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Yeah but only by those who would prefer that their black players don't get racist abuse.

Have you not considered what an affront this is to the sorts of people who enjoy hurling racist abuse and bananas at black people?

• Advertisement

They are a tiny minority, which is why we shouldn't take the knee.

Western countries are not overwhelmingly racist countries. Perhaps if they were, political gestures - such as taking the knee - would be justified.

But taking the knee signifies that Western countries are inherently racist to the core, and I reject that implication.

Very few people actively support discriminating against black people on the basis of race. But that minority will always exist, no matter how many knees bend. But what people are actively repulsed by, is this suggestion that the most tolerant countries in the world, when it comes to race, are also those with the greatest problems with race. And that is associated with all the corollary actions we've seen in recent years, such as taking down statues and the promotion of the ludicrous idea to "defund the police".

Taking the knee means tacitly supporting the above.

It's virtue signalling. I actually dislike that term, because I believe it's massively overused. But in this context, it's true - it's used by people to signal to others, in a public manner, how more perfect they are compared to the rest of us.

So you are against freedom of expression? A 3 second gesture that brings no harm to anyone involved including the spectators that decided to boo this expression?

You agree that a man should get sacked, lose his job, become a victim of abuse from low I.Q Neanderthals because he chose to express himself in a way that you personally don't like even though it has no bearing on your life in any way shape or form?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Poor Eskimo. No wonder hes back preaching about BLM after this post of reality against his favouritest channel.

If people want to do it, by all means they should.

But they are either wrong or woke to do so.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It seems that the word "woke" is now just a term to disparage the concept of empathy.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Is there any greater example of "virtue signalling" than tory politicians seemingly unable to give a speech without at least one giant union jack as a backdrop? One time with Johnson, I counted six. Same as free speech and cancel culture, i guess, once they're your particular "virtues", all is fair in love and war.

• Advertisement

No, as you yourself rightly hinted at earlier, the term itself is really unhelpful. It's so bandied around for nefarious purposes that it has lost any useful intrinsic value it might once have had.

In reality, all of this is very simple. "I don't agree or like what you're saying but i will defend to the hilt your right to say it" is the bare minimum i would expect from those proclaiming to be undying champions of free speech. It's the utterly transparent hypocrisy that is both laughable and galling. By all means, keep having a go at blm and other protests, but stop banging on about free speech. And, for pity's sake, please stfu about being victims of cancel culture when it's little more than a week, a guy was effectively ran out of the station for making a gesture certain people didn't like.

My personal opinion. Which is what forums tend to be about.

So ib your personal opinion people shouldn't be free to express themselves, in your personal opinion its ok for someone to get sacked for expressing thier opinion?

The station you laud as a bastion for free speech and free expression cancels someone for exerting thier rights and you're OK with this?

I've said it before and will say it again, you're a hypocrite.

• Advertisement

True but generally it's for some level of discussion. To use an example, the 3 players who missed penalties a few weeks back were subjected to a huge amount of racism. So taking the knee seems entirely relevant. The fact that members of the government actively avoided condemning the booing also says a lot about the state of British politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

The presenter got cancelled by the viewers (by boycotting the station and forcing them to remove him)

Why would someone in Ireland be watching this channel?

Can you even watch it?

Whereas the station should have explained that while they were not happy with him expressing himself that way they believe he has the right to express himself. I'd you are going to champion yourself as a station of free speech/expression then you need to be consistent, otherwise you just look like a bunch of hypocrites.

I read something recently which I think was a letter from Guto Harri to the GB News bosses (though couldn't find it with a quick Google so I'm not sure), but Guto Harri was suspended for kneeling. GB News said his position fell below their editorial standards.

Farage then said on his show that he would never take the knee. That is as much taking a position on the topic as Guto Harri taking the knee, so by rights Farage should be equally culpable of breaching the GB News standards. But really, it was never about any kind of editorial standards, but about pandering to their audience who weren't happy with the position Harri took.

If you're about free speech, debate and have editorial standards regarding taking positions on controversial topics, there's no difference between Harri kneeling and Farage explicitly making a point about never kneeling.

In other news, Arlene Foster has joined GB News in some capacity.

It was in his resignation letter

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/media/2021/jul/18/guto-harri-quits-gb-news-as-nigel-farage-is-given-prime-time-show

"Written directly to GB chief executive Angelos Frangopoulos, he continues: “Before I took the knee on air I discussed it with my producer, director, co-presenters and head of newsroom. After I did it, GB News captured the moment and proactively cascaded it on social media.

Two days later you told me you wanted me to take a break for the summer. You did not say you were briefing papers and issuing a statement that accused me of breaching your editorial standards.

“I asked you to change that on the night – pointing out it was defamatory. You ignored my texts and refused to take my calls. I now see that you’ve hired Nigel Farage who immediately declared in public that he will not be taking the knee.

“Please explain how that does not breach editorial standards but I did.”

“You took me off air for backing the England football team making a simple public statement against racism while arguing that GB News is about celebrating the best of Britain, defending free speech, having the debates others won’t have and combatting the cancel culture. You are intelligent enough to see what an absurd parody of that your station has become.”

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,875 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

It was Mussolini that got the trains to run on time. Hitler built the Autobahns - military highways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭francois

It is also lazy, a substitute for the equally meaningless "PC crowd"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Morgans

Great to see another great free-speech warrior Arlene Foster join Farage. No stopping them now.

when even Sky News can't hide it, you know it's true they are being booed. It's defeaning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prKYKzSH_Zw

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement