Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar PV Hints, Tips & Troubleshooting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Did you go to Advanced Settings --> Storage Energy Set --> Storage Mode Select and pick Self Use?
    If you have this menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭BopperSnr

SD_DRACULA wrote: »
    Did you go to Advanced Settings --> Storage Energy Set --> Storage Mode Select and pick Self Use?
    If you have this menu.

Don’t have that mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,427 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Get your installer. They should sort it immediately.

6 wrote: »
    Get your installer. They should sort it immediately.

Yeah for sure, tell them to update the firmware on the inverter while they're at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jkforde

Solis inverter & DC-coupled Pylontech battery
    MyEnergi Eddi

I believe that there's a way to set thresholds so that the Eddi gets first dibs of the first solar surplus in the mornings. Anyone know how to do this?

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭championc

jkforde wrote: »
    MyEnergi Eddi

I believe that there's a way to set thresholds so that the Eddi gets first dibs of the first solar surplus in the mornings. Anyone know how to do this?

It's impossible with DC Coupled (Hybrid) Inverters. You need separate Solar and Storage (Sofar ME3000 or a Powerwall) to achieve this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

As others said your installer should come in and fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Deagol

jkforde wrote: »
    MyEnergi Eddi

All you could do is set a timer on the Eddi with a limit on the output but I think that would be inefficient. Surely your hot tank keeps water hot from the night before? If not - think about upgrading your tank insulation.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Deagol wrote: »
    All you could do is set a timer on the Eddi with a limit on the output but I think that would be inefficient. Surely your hot tank keeps water hot from the night before? If not - think about upgrading your tank insulation.

Yeah there won't be any solar surplus until the battery is finished charging/charging at max rate

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Guys, I don't have an eddi. Is there a device that I can clamp to the system to tell me how much is going to the grid.

It's the solar as a service set up with a 3.24kw system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭irishchris

You can get some devices like the owl system on Amazon that will tell you usage and grid consumption/export. Or any of those types of devices that will come with a CT clamp

completely wireless ones cannot tell direction though and get inaccurate below 200W

To tell direction it needs to be plugged in (somewhere) to get an AC voltage reference and phase. so the bog standard energy meters wont work you need one that would support solar.

Any suggestions?

Have the efergy hub but only gives consumption and as you say, unreliable at low usage. Its showing 0.2kw while the meter hasn't moved all day

I use a shelly em (https://shelly.cloud/products/shelly-em-smart-home-automation-device/)

You plug it into the board and clamp the main live, then you can get data via wifi directly or send it to the likes of Home Assistant if you wish.

It can use two clamps so I have the second clamped to the EV live to see exactly how much that's using.

Interesting system but Looks like wiring it in is required. Beyond my capabilities I think. Plug and play would be more my thinking 🙂

That should work, but you'll have to put cts in the consumer unit, one on the solar feed and one on the main feed.

Yep that's the one I was referring to early but have feeling there is a monitoring few with that one. Worth checking out as it's a while since I looked at that when I was trying to sort monitoring but went for eddi for hot water in end which provides the monitoring for me now

What's cts?

It looks like it's wired as opposed to WiFi.

My inverter is in the attic and meter outside. Modem is in a different room.

A ct is a current transformer, it clips around a live wire and can measure current.

If you look at the installation pdf, it has a wireless transmitter but the receiver needs to be plugged in. & Plugged into the router I think. (Yours will be the second option for install)

Another option is the emonpi but that needs a socket beside the consumer unit, but connects over wifi.

There is bound to be others but all work on the same principle.

Thanks. My understanding was it had to be wired in. Will take another look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,308 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I know washing your solar panels isn't generally thought to be needed, but I just glanced up at mine and they seem really thick with dust.

We haven't had a lick of rain in about a week and it's another day of high 20s for heat.

Just wondered if there would be any harm in giving them a wee lick with the hose. Maybe not now, they must be absolutely boiling in the sun and knowing my luck they'd shatter with thermal shock.

But later tonight when it's dark and cooler.

Rain will be here in a day or 2 and cooler temperatures

Think it's worth giving them a clean as noticed even with the heavy rain we get here they appear clean of bord droppings but are still there as they start to brown and harden on glass making them less noticeable unless up close and not wash off with rain. The problem is this creates hotspots which are detrimental to the panels

Is a power washer from the ground OK to wash them with?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

A long reach brush that you would use for car washing and a hose. Just water and a little scrub. NO DETERGENTS.

https://www.homestoreandmore.ie/car-accessories/car-wash-brush/071287.html

I bought this thing https://www.ebay.ie/itm/312286873546 which extends to 3m so it reaches two panels in portrait no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

Anyone with the Goodwe inverters notice they tend to run very hot?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭championc

What load do you have generating and passing through what size of inverter ?

If the load is close to the operating limits of any inverter, I believe any inverter will run hot

This might help if your worried about it.

https://ie.rs-online.com/web/p/rack-cooling/8020311

• Advertisement

Whoever suggested getting up and cleaning the panels, I think the weather gods got wind of it and said its ok i will sort it out with jet wash rain.

Advertisement