Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭waterfordgirl

Tús maith - gutted not to have gotten tickets

• Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Fantastic first half, scintillating stuff. Really didn’t see this coming but big second half coming up. Galway surely can’t be much worse. Keep the heads, take the handy points and keep the lead and we’ll do this

Everything going wrong for galway....everthing going right for us

Hard to read too much into it imo.......cant see us losing from here

In stephen bennett we have an emerging all time great

Leadership,skills,vision and absolute drive and will to win,when it was there to be won,him above all else stooď up.....we were staring at certain defeat only for him there today

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭skaface

Jesus, that was some game.. Nearly got caught in the end, but it would have been a tragedy.. What a performance by our lads when they were down to fourteen.. Roll on next weekend.. Bit of momentum building now, UP THE DÉISE

• Advertisement

Crazy finish, it would have been the most sickening ever loss if we were to throw that way. Heart was in my mouth at the end. I’ll happily eat my words, I genuinely didn’t think all week we would put together a performance to topple Galway but that first half is as good as you’ll see. I said it here at HT Galway would have their moment and they nearly had us. A bit disappointing to concede three quick fire goals but the lads raised it again to reply with a score after Galway hit the net.

1-30 is excellent scoring, much improved shooting from the Laois and especially Clare game. Don’t think even Dessie got on the scoreboard but showed for the ball excellently and won a few frees. Barron, Hogan, Lyons and the 3 Bennett’s were exceptional.

On to an AI quarter final now, it’ll be Tipp if Clare beat Cork. Otherwise an open draw where it’ll be either Tipp or Dublin.

Hon the Deise!

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

Survived a big scare but a great win. Fantastic scores form Kiely and Bennett to steady the ship. With 14 men for the whole second half, we were always going to suffer at some stage but overall, it was an awesome performance. Shane Bennett played very well at centre back too.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,291 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Hon the deise

Why can't we win easy and not give us heart failure

We roll now and wait for either Tipp or Dublin. Fairly simple if Clare beat Cork later we face Tipp but if Cork win its a draw (Cork/Waterford one side and Tipp/Dublin other side)

That’ll surely mean Conor Gleeson out of next weekend as it was a straight red. Hoping Iarlaith Daly will be fit, you’d think he’d be the most likely to slot in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,554 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Never so happy to be wrong.

Really kept going when things were going against us, some heart and determination.

• Advertisement

Very silly from Conor Gleeson to get a straight red when we were 12 points up.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭skaface

Is the draw on tomorrow night during the Sunday game, or Monday morning on the radio

Draw on Monday morning it is so

Cork and Waterford one bowl

Dublin and Tipperary the other

Matches down for next Saturday 31st July. Venues mostly likely Cork and Thurles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭seananigans

Waterford Dubs would be Thurles, But Waterford Tipp will probably be Nowlan

Maybe Cork because its a bigger venue and that was the venue picked for the possible Munster semi final

We wait and see, brilliant to be in the QFs either way

• Registered Users Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭Rosita

The Munster Council would naturally choose a Munster venue for a Munster semi final. An AI is a different matter and ground capacity is probably irrelevant in the current circumstances so possibly Kilkenny might be considered. Would be an okay venue for Dublin-Waterford too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭seananigans

It's an all ireland quarter final, not a munster semi final, munster council are not in charge .unless both counties opt for a munster ground, then they will pick the handiest for both teams,aka nowlan

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

Having seen it on what seems to be the only angle available I'd say it was a harsh red on a day we got very little from the ref. He showed how weak he was when he gave in to Canning complaining about a line ball to over rule his linesman.

Still no need for it. He gave them a decision to make and it could have cost us. Anyway, let’s not let it spoil a great win and I’m sure McNulty or Fives will fit in just fine the next day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Rustyman101

Was it just me or was marty really pro Galway in the commentary, got sick of listening to him anyways, congrats 👏 to all involved great win !

Will Shane Bennett stay at centre back? I thought he did a fine job. Winning lots of ball, reading the play and always covering. Plus an inspirational first point. I've had my doubts about Peter Hogan's consistency for intercounty, but by jesus he played well today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

He can’t have any complaints. he was absolutely brilliant in that first half too, so frustrating that he’ll miss next week

• Registered Users Posts: 4,554 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

What I don't understand about the line ball is that he turned it into a throw ball. Surely if he saw it as a Galway ball and overruled the linesman it should have been a Galway line ball. A throw ball is calling it that he wasn't sure, so if he wasn't sure why did he overrule it.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

Two wides for Galway given as points too, pretty poor fare from the officials all round. Thankfully it didn't cost us.

That point from Kiely was our first for at least ten minutes, I’d say. It was so important to steady the ship. And the point Bennett scored to put us back 4 up at the end was even better. Great character shown today lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

He was outstanding. Iarlaith Daly will have a job to get back into that half backline on today’s form

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Deiselurker

It was great to be back at a live hurling match. Good atmosphere there and Waterford were excellent for about 50 minutes. The Bennett brothers were all on top form and Jamie Barron was a deserved man of the match. Galway with the extra man in the heat really gave us a scare late on but we held on and deserved the win.

So Dublin or Tipp next Saturday, who would you rather face? Draw on tomorrow morning. We won’t fear either of them, on paper Dublin would appear to be what most would prefer I’d guess but they’re by no means a bad side. They were unlucky to be hit with some covid cases before the Leinster final that ruled out a few players which they should have back next weekend.

Tipp can blow hot and cold but we haven’t beaten them in championship hurling since 2008 (compare that to Dublin who we’ve beaten every time in recent history). Now may not be a better time to get a win over the Premier.

Worth noting that drawing Dublin would put the winners against Limerick in an AI semi, drawing Tipp puts the winners against KK.

• Advertisement

Draw could easily been done last night. Bloody GAA logic.

Yeah don't think there can anymore draws after the QFs.

I would not like to play Dublin in Nowlan Park as they like tighter pitches.

Advertisement