Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion - 2024 All Ireland Hurling Champions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Figerty

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Shortstop12

Apparently it's against a website, don't think he has a leg to stand on to be honest, Everything online these days is free for all, everyone has an opinion. I can't see it sticking, if Pat Fitz seen the comments, what was wrong with him defending himself, he obviously had some interaction with the site or he wouldn't have been on there..or was he playing the "too important to respond" card.. does he think his time is up and this is another scheme to stay involved in anything Clare, definitely!! I don't condone harassment and never would btw..

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭False Prophet

Can hardly play as badly in the 2nd half. Only for malone scoring and all round general energy we would be in serious trouble

Balls

As much as I love watching Tony Kelly play he'd drive you nuts at times, one of the greediest players out there!!! What is wrong with alot of our players they can't just play an easy pass to a free man, instead they take on the harder option and get no reward.. Some of our wides today we're terrible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭supernova5

ffs.. clare's record against cork since 1999 is shameful - played 17 times, won 2, drew 1 and lost 14.. [and that's just championship]

there must surely be a psychological blockage going through their veins when they see that red jersey

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Clare's record since 1999 shameful, full stop.

Today's game was lost by some terrible wides

Id like to have seen conlon moved into the full forward line in the second half as nothing was working inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Davys Fits

Should he pass to Shanagher more often you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭letowski

Hard luck to the lads today. I taught they put in a huge effort today and all year.

Just weren’t good enough on the day really. We could have won it at the death, but ultimately I felt Cork were just about the better team. That period in the 2nd half after we got a point up was crucial as we missed a hat of chances to push further ahead. Just didnt happen unfortunately.

I think the age old issue this team has of having a very small team in stature hurt us for the umpteenth time. Really, none of our forwards except Tony Kelly had good games and we couldn’t win ball, puckouts or make it stick up there. We really as a county can’t afford to have players like SOD and Duggan unavailable. SOD particularly inside would have been huge as we just got little or no return from Shanagher, I. Galvin and Rodgers. Listening to Lohan after the game, he mentioned SOD trained during the week and scored 3 points, so thankfully he seems to be back healthy which is the main thing. But ultimately our forward line has just too many smaller lighter secondary ball players (Kelly, Galvin x2, Taylor, Rodgers, Reidy, etc) and not enough size. Seamus Harnedy was the difference between the sides imo.

I think overall Lohan has done a good job with this team and has brought on a lot of players. I think from 1-9 were fairly well settled. Hopefully we can get 1 or 2 more good players into the team and be back next year. The team and the management did the county proud this year with their efforts.

• Advertisement

Yeah I think the return we got from our inside forwards was very poor. Shanagher ultimately this year was more woeful that effective. The fact we only took him off on the 65th minute when he was so poor kind of shows how over-reliant we are on him to be the direct outlet for us. But Lohan really needs a plan B for next year as while Shanagher has some good days, he equally has woefully ineffective days and you can’t afford to carry passengers at this level (which is what he was today). It was costly.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Today was 1 of the most disappointing performance by a Clare team in a long time, we should have won that match easily but too many players just didn't perform and the wides, Shanagher, Reidy and McCarthy especially has some terrible wides.

1 thing that amazes me is that we only brought on 4 subs, I think Ian Galvin was an injury, taking Rogers off was harsh I thought when any of the other forwards could have been taken off. Today was extemely hot and fresh legs could have made all the difference.

Absolutely not unless he's goal bound, he was terrible today!! What I'm saying is Tony had to pass to the man in a better position. Don't get me wrong, he can put them over from anywhere but when he runs down a dead end, recycling the ball is better than a 50/50 chance of it going over.. Some of McCarthy's misses today were inexcusable.. Have to agree with letowski above, our puckouts have always been an issue.. it's a real pity SOD wasn't go to go, glad to hear he's back pucking a ball at least..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Couldn’t have said it much better to be honest. Had to watch it on tape delay as just arrived back to Ireland now for a few weeks. Was hopeful to get to the quarter final next week :(

think Cork were the better overall team. Got their scores much easier than us, created plenty of chances and defended extremely well against our forwards.

just too many wides again and a lot from wild shooting which are the worst ones.

but a couple of big moments that ultimately decided the game. Not kicking on after going ahead with a few wides and then Mcinerney missed any easy interception that led to the equalizer I think.

then the cooney goal chance. Should have buried it either in his left or just feint back in. Had plenty of time for either.

Overall I’m completely gutted loosing to those langers once again. Just so much heartbreak. So many positives from the year though. While I believe our team is limited enough Lohan has got every ounce of work out of them. Completely never gave up in all the games with huge work rate and commitment. Just need 2/3 more players to come in and make a big difference. Just a few too many passengers today.

Cork got one goal from a bad clare sideline and Cork got the last goal 30 seconds after clare goal chance from cooney. Just didn't have the bit of luck today.

Conlon had a mixed game, some poor distribution but also some good inceptions.

Cleary and malone good game and season. Hard to believe there was a time when supporters didn't rate them.

Rodgers will have learned alot from today, in his defence the ball into him wasnt great.

Post edited by False Prophet on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

100% , no complaints

great effort all year both league and championship , yes we would love to be doing better at the moment but if the structures are not there then what chance do you have , lohan done an excellent job with a bunch of players that would kill for you ,

all we want is a team that will fight and they done that in abundance this year ,

county board really need to sort out the development plan and revert back to about 10 years ago fast or get out , a few clubs also need to get thir act together too espically clarecastle who have some serious talent at underage but seem to struggle to bring them on , we need clubs like them to bring on there players like cratloe and clonlara did 10 years ago to compete at intercounty level over the next 5 years

I think now that the dust has settled, these next couple of months are of huge importance to Clare GAA.

Look, there has been a huge amount of negativity off the field, but with the committee's strategic development plan due to be released in September, there is an opportunity there rebuild and start moving forward. It's vital that the county board now, heed the findings and objectives of the 5 year plan and put in place the structures required for Clare GAA to succeed in the future. There will be likely criticisms in their findings, but I hope the county board take them on board and implement the objectives as required.

The other thing I feel must be a major priority is extending Brian Lohan's term as Clare Senior Hurling Manager. I know there will be a review of the senior hurling campaign (I assume so anyway), but I really don't see any scenario where replacing the incumbent manager is the finding. I think Lohan has done a very good job with the current Clare team. Under Lohan, most players on the panel have taken strong steps forward in their performance levels while Lohan has also brought through players from the underage structures and other players from the club scene. I think he is maximizing the talent available to him and also improving it. As an aside, from going to games this year, it was great to see the team get great support from the Clare public (albeit with limited crowd sizes). Even when we were losing going into the dressing room against Cork at half time and full time, the Clare support were getting on their feet to cheer and support the lads. I think the public are strongly behind this Clare group, because they have carried themselves very well and give it their all on the field. Not extending Lohan would be a hugely unpopular decision imo.

Hopefully next year will be a better year for Clare at all levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭shockframe

Lohan will surely get another 2 seasons at least.

He has huge support behind him or opposed to the Fitzgeralds that wasn't there as much when he took over.

The walls have been closing in on his opponents big time the last 18 months. The media has turned against them in a big way so putting in more barriers will only enrage the Clare public.

I would expect that there will be some disharmony over the winter. The post match reaction after the Wexford win suggests that this is far from sorted...

The Fitzgeralds are at the end of their tenure and instead of going out gracefully they are putting up a last stand, Pat should just retire, he's got his airport pension, state pension and whatever savings. Davy should concentrate on TV now or getting a job, his time as an inter-county manager is over for the time being, hard to see what county would take him (Galway maybe?).

I think Lohan should definitely get next year, the ground work has been done BUT I don't know about giving him more than that. At the end of the day it's a results business, this year we didn't reach an All Ireland Quarter Final, yes our performances were much improved, yes there were barriers in the way , yes there was only a puck of the ball in it against Cork, and yes the ref was a disgrace against Tipp but ultimately a minimum target for Clare should be an All Ireland quarter final, anything less should be seen as a poor year. I think a third year to push on from what has been done has to happen but ultimately if there isn't at least a quarter final next year that it would need to be reviewed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Treble double

It's 11 teams in the Liam McCarthy isn't it?. Not making the quarters would equate to not making the top 6 out of 11 and when you consider that Laois and Antrim are in that 11 it's not great by any means.

Piss poor from Wexford too for all the colum inches they generate they weren't even in the top 8.

If results go in a certain way you could have Limerick winning this All Ireland by beating Cork and Tipp and Cork and Tipp again. That would be one for the table quizzes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Figerty

It was a puck of a ball between Cork and Clare. Clare I would say had the legs drained a bit from the Wexford game. That had to be a factor. Lohan is on the right path. While Cork were missing two at the weekend, and we had lost a few here and there I would have to wonder if the graph is downward for Clare while others is rising. Sure, get O'Donnell and Duggan back next year and add in a few young lads like Galvin from Clarecastle and we will hold our own. But that's not enough really.

I wouldn't think downward just yet. Window is tightening for sure with this group though, most will be hitting 30 in about 2 years. However, the minor classes of 2018-2019 have some good players there that can inject our senior team with talent, the likes of Rodgers, Meehan, Galvin, Donnellan already senior panelists, and some others too have good potential.

The team, aside from John Conlon, has still a decent age profile and is improving. Of the 9 top teams, obviously Limerick are a level above, but I think Lohan has brought us firmly into the middle of the chasing 8 team pack. I think results show were better that Wexford, Dublin and probably on form Galway, about as good as Waterford, with Tipp, Kilkenny and Cork sightly ahead of us. Galway and Tipp have very experienced panels at this stage, it's hard to know if they'll be better next year, but I suppose for Galway, they couldn't be much worse and may look to transition new players onto their team next year. Kilkenny, Waterford and especially Cork have good age profiles no doubt, but I taught with the games we played against them this year, we showed that we can (and did 2/3) beat them.

As you said, just finding those 2/3 players again next year will be crucial, the same way this year Lohan was able to supplement his team from last year with Conlon, Galvin and Flanagan. Someone like Peter Duggan returning from Oz would be an enormous boost to this team, we saw the effect having a great aerial player like Harnedy last Saturday can have on a team. We just don't have someone in the county that can do that for us in the half forward line. I think also, there is plenty more in the likes of Colm Galvin, David McInerney and possibly Aron Shanager, of course Galvin and McInerney had those injuries early on and never really hit top form. Conlon hopefully more settled at centre back, maybe Rodgers finding his feet, smarter shot selection from McCarthy, etc. I think we can take a step forward next year and make the latter stages of the championship with some better luck than we got this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭formerlyET

Duggan was what, 25/6 when he started making waves with Clare?

He's been away, what? Two seasons?

28 now?

How likely is a comeback?

The year after he made a name for himself - he got a taste and said, 'I'm off.' It doesn't suggest he's that committed. And he's dead right. There's more to life than hurling. I'm just wondering, is Duggan really going to commit again? When we think of players who take a year out and come back, it rarely works out. Unless you're Brian Corcoran.

Yeah in fairness, I wouldn't ever begrudge a guy putting himself and his life above the demands of hurling. It may not be likely, he might not even know himself. We don't know in reality,

I think he could return and play at a high level. Maybe not the 2018 version, but still a good player. I think with Corcoran, he was 32(?) when he returned to the IC scene, Duggan would be 28 next year so he still could get in good shape after a winter's training I'd imagine. I can't think of many other examples of top players leaving during their prime, maybe Johnny Glynn but it was like a temporary thing with him.

I taught for the early stages of Duggan's career, under Davy's management, he was completely under-utilised. Most people following the club game in Clare, would know he had been one of the more dominant forwards in the county for a while. I don't think Davy valued him, as he wanted to play that running game, while Duggan is never really that sort of player. He just never had good pace. Under Donal & Gerry's management though, he blossomed and Lohan's brand of hurling would suit him too. We'd be hopeful he can return, but we can't rely on it either, and have to unearth players like him that can win ball on the half forward line. Last weekend, we had Kelly, Galvin and Reidy on the 40.. there is very little aerial ability there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Gael85

Anyone have dates/times for championship games at weekend? Claregaa not up to date. 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Treble double

Can't help you there, what kind of numbers will be allowed into the games and will tickets of some sort be required?

Where it is deemed by C.L.G. Coiste Chontae An Chlair that a venue has a capacity in excess of 5,000 people, an allocation of 500 tickets will be made available first, through to the competing clubs and should there be any surplus, through public sale. 250 tickets to each club which includes 25 juveniles F.O.C. 

These tickets to be collected at Clareabbey on the Wednesday prior to the game and unsold tickets together with payment for those sold returned to Clareabbey by Friday evening.

• Advertisement

That's a copy and paste of the message sent out by the county board

Advertisement