Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Businesses/Shops opening in Cork city/suburbs.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭siblers

A few food items that I hadn't seen before but pretty much the same otherwise. I was really impressed with it yesterday, really wide isles loads of parking, small enough wine and beer section though which surprised me .

They reduced the alcohol section up in Grange too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,592 ✭✭✭snotboogie

• Registered Users Posts: 11,661 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Gap have announced a total closure of UK & Ireland stores, including Opera Lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,856 ✭✭✭sporina

snotboogie wrote: »

fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭robinbird

Pen Rua wrote: »
    Not quite a business opening, but the Peter McVerry Trust is taking over the old Permanent TSB unit on North Main Street and will operate it as a regional base. They've developed it to include 5 one-bed room units.

https://www.corkbeo.ie/news/local-news/peter-mcverry-trust-open-cork-20437340

Peter McVerry Trust is one of the most successful of the homeless charities with an income of over €46 million a year. Although the CEO is only on a modest €120,000 (plus expenses) most of the staff are on over 70k.

It is very much a business opening.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

snotboogie wrote: »

Oh, is that Dali gone then?

I've never been to Dali, but it was supposed to be a decent club, which I think Cork needs more of.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,870 ✭✭✭Rfrip

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Oh, is that Dali gone then?

I've never been to Dali, but it was supposed to be a decent club, which I think Cork needs more of.

yeah Dali is gone, think it went after the first lockdown or thereabouts
    I went there a few times and enjoyed it! It was definitely needed in Cork so was a shame

• Registered Users Posts: 16,953 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

robinbird wrote: »
    Peter McVerry Trust is one of the most successful of the homeless charities with an income of over €46 million a year. Although the CEO is only on a modest €120,000 (plus expenses) most of the staff are on over 70k.

It is very much a business opening.

I often wonder how many jobs would be lost if we solved homelessness and poverty!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭RINO87

Rfrip wrote: »
    yeah Dali is gone, think it went after the first lockdown or thereabouts
    I went there a few times and enjoyed it! It was definitely needed in Cork so was a shame

Dali was claaaaaas - the soundsystem in there was epic. Such a shame that there's no proper outlets for electronic music in the city, they seemed to have a really good thing going there before the pandemic, and the city really needs venues like Dali in my opinion. Hopefully they can find a new home.

Regards the Pav, from the article it seems like Benny is modelling it on the Stella in Rathmines in Dublin, which is pretty cool, but it wont appeal to young people. I'm pushing mid 30's so I welcome it, but again shame to see a space for younger people lost. The gentrification continues.....

RINO87 wrote: »
    Dali was claaaaaas - the soundsystem in there was epic. Such a shame that there's no proper outlets for electronic music in the city, they seemed to have a really good thing going there before the pandemic, and the city really needs venues like Dali in my opinion. Hopefully they can find a new home.

Regards the Pav, from the article it seems like Benny is modelling it on the Stella in Rathmines in Dublin, which is pretty cool, but it wont appeal to young people. I'm pushing mid 30's so I welcome it, but again shame to see a space for younger people lost. The gentrification continues.....

The Stella are meant to be opening a branch in the Savoy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

I often wonder how many jobs would be lost if we solved homelessness and poverty!

A huge amount. Unfortunately homelessness is big business and if it were actually fully resolved it would lead to huge job losses, hence it's a vicious circle.

Cork Lass wrote: »
    A huge amount. Unfortunately homelessness is big business and if it were actually fully resolved it would lead to huge job losses, hence it's a vicious circle.

i'd say there are way more homeless than there are employed working in the field though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

sporina wrote: »
    i'd say there are way more homeless than there are employed working in the field though

You’d actually be very surprised. Add up all the charity workers, council workers, HSE/Tulsa social workers etc - it adds up to a huge amount of jobs.

Cork Lass wrote: »
    You’d actually be very surprised. Add up all the charity workers, council workers, HSE/Tulsa social workers etc - it adds up to a huge amount of jobs.

working with the homeless is only one element of a lot of those professions..

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭captainshamroc

Before the current homeless ****show the govt. was giving 30,000 per homeless person to homeless 'charities' - 150 million per year. Almost 100 different charities nationwide. Dozens of well paid CEO's, dozens of auditors, bookkeepers, payroll, but most importantly sales and marketing to raise:( more cash. Unfortunately charities are a business in Ireland. There are some great charities out there but a lot are run for the benefit of the directors.

F45 gym going into the Elysian. Thinking about it, it's mad a gym has never been tried there before.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭robinbird

Before the current homeless ****show the govt. was giving 30,000 per homeless person to homeless 'charities' - 150 million per year. Almost 100 different charities nationwide. Dozens of well paid CEO's, dozens of auditors, bookkeepers, payroll, but most importantly sales and marketing to raise:( more cash. Unfortunately charities are a business in Ireland. There are some great charities out there but a lot are run for the benefit of the directors.

In 2013 €50,000,000 a year was being spent on homeless services.
    In 2020 it was €250,000,000.

A very large proportion of that is on charity CEO salaries, wages, admin, fundraising etc
    It's turned in to a massive gravy train.

Bear in mind that this is entirely dependant on the "homeless crisis" continuing indefinitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭theglobe

Does anyone have any idea why the Aldi on Skehard Road has been closed all week?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,481 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

theglobe wrote: »
    Does anyone have any idea why the Aldi on Skehard Road has been closed all week?

I’m not sure but I think renovations!

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Karmella

Yeah it’s being renovated - opening again on Thursday I think.

Great that they are doing it but won’t be able to find anything in there for a few weeks as they completely change the layouts :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,953 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Karmella wrote: »
    Yeah it’s being renovated - opening again on Thursday I think.

Great that they are doing it but won’t be able to find anything in there for a few weeks as they completely change the layouts :D

That's not an accident.
    If you know exactly where everything is, you don't cover the whole shop and buy extras.

If, on the other hand, you are searching for something you will come across all sorts of other temptations to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,996 ✭✭✭opus

Coffee & sushi, an interesting mix (near the Mercy hospital).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭whatever76

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭ofcork

Lidl in ballyvolane closing today for redevelopment i see they want to do something similar in carrigaline.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭Harika

Gone for a month, curious how this will look after

Mitchelstown is half demolishes and Tipp town is fully closed also.

They revamped the one on Fermoy in 2019. It seems to be something they are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Corkladddd!!

Fermoy wasn't a revamp, they bought the site next door and built a completely new shop and the demolished the old and retained the old site for parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭RINO87

Lidl have been doing this allover. They will all be that same as the Churchfields one when finished, if you've ever been to that store.

Sorry that's what I meant.

They've done it in lots of place.

Youghal, Clonmel, Thurles, Churchfield, Kildare. and a good few up the country.

Mitchelstown and Tipperary are being done.

Mallow was applied for.

They often leave there current site and build a new one completely.

In Youghal JSYK took on the store. Similar is happening in Thurles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭ofcork

Think thats what they have planned for carrigaline demolish current store turn into car park and build new one.

Advertisement