Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Considering the recent re-vamp will you continue to use boards?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,424 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

No

Not as a contributor to the forums I now can't find., its a complete mess

Will miss the nice pics in the gentlemen's club

Ignore list now limited to 50, was 500 and I was at 400+🙄

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Only if I happen to be on my laptop. I've given up trying to use it on the phone...is not navigable

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Level 42

No

wheres the soccer forum ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭323

No

No

Only use on PC. Unlikely to continue

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

• Registered Users Posts: 10,715 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

No

Highly unlikely I'll use it as much as before. I just can't find what I want with ease. It's a hassle to navigate and the fixes being talked about (black mode, blank space, time errors) are minor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Nanoc

No

I still can't get used to it or find a lot of things and what doesn't help is the search function is still trash. I search for say "bargain alerts" expecting the forum and I get some random post from 5 years ago not even linked to the forum. Surely the forum should be the first result??

• Registered Users Posts: 83,033 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Lamar Davis

Yes

Yeah just takes a bit of getting use to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Assume it is considering you have to meet a set criteria to post. Plenty of lurkers have posted that they couldn’t read in one of the feedback threads.

also since it’s been pushed off and hidden in groups and no longer appears on the front pages the forum has fairly died off, still in the last few days people posting that they finally found it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Yes

Yes, but not so much, its awkward and time consuming

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭Mech1

OK I wasnt thinking straight at the time,,, 2004 but still same complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I'll continue using it but it's definitely more awkward to use. They really need to update things to make navigating the forum easier. I find it a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

No

Yea but far less, because its literally unusable on mobile.

So I'll use it maybe 10% of the time that I did pre-"upgrade"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,755 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Yes

Yep, I’ll still use it. I can see that those “in charge” are implementing changes that are bringing the site back to where it should be.

Once the last fix is in this will all be a “footnote” in the site‘s history and, I reckon, all those deserters will come crawling back.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Im finding myself posting less and less than normal and have posted way more on Reddit this last two weeks. I was here trying to quote someone in a post yesterday but you cant edit the quote and it gets truncated so I just didnt bother replying to it in the end. The lack of functionality just makes you question why are you bothering to post. I think thats clear across many threads that used to have 30-40 new posts per day and are now down to 4 or 5 at best. You know things are bad when the Feedback forum is the busiest forum on the entire site.

I hope Boards sorts their sh1t out as its still better than Twitter, Reddit, etc. But this has being going on for 3 weeks now so a fair chunk of the user base has gotten hollowed out and gone elsewhere. If things stay as quiet as they have been for another 3 weeks then its a downward spiral from there imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

No

Yeah the problem is how quiet the forums are, that is what will drive more and more people away

Yes

Yeah, I will. But I'm not really finding new threads and am posting less in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

What's the alternative to boards. Reddit, twitter etc. are in no way comparable and GUBU has no chance of gaining traction, maybe it would have 10 or 15 years ago.

Boards has evolved over 20+ years but web forums are now basically an obsolete medium similar to radio and newspapers that are only popular amongst those past a certain age. Once those users die off, the medium itself dies. If there is a major disruption that drives people away, this process can be accelerated. Is this the intention with this "upgrade", is it that the owners can't be arsed with the site anymore unless it can be monetised more effectively. Which won't work either.

No

I replied no.

I'd like to, but the longer its dragging on without fixes, the more frustrating its getting.

I can't find anything without multiple clicks, "My Threads" and "My Forums" seem to mean nothing, and its just too tiresome trying to find anything posted on before.

Not being able to quote selectively is also a big PITA.

I've stuck it out this far but its wearing thin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Yes

I voted yes but definitely only going on once or twice a day for a couple of minutes to see my threads not enjoying browsing as much at all. I only use mobile so it’s not a nice interface compared to the old one where I could have easily spent an hour or so reading different threads.

If it wasn’t broken why try fix it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Tork

No

I would've said Yes until quite recently but it's now looking like they can't/won't fix the navigation issues. People have been screaming at them about this since "New Boards" went online but the problem remains. I can't subscribe to individual forums I like any more and trying to find them is pure hassle. So now I just hit the front page, scan to see if there's anything interesting in there and then I move on. There's a definite fall-off in some forums too, which makes reason to visit even less compelling.

It's not the people announcing that they're off to Reddit or Gubu or other places that you need to watch out for. It's the silent minority (or majority?) who'll quietly stop visiting Boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Itineoman

There was enormous goodwill from users to Boards and I think this is evaporating by the hour. A pity because there was a real sense of community. What puzzles me is how quickly the rival site (won't mention the name here) got up and running so quickly and how polished it is. Lots of familiar usernames posting on there. As I said, Boards would be my go to place for most things and it cut out a lot of the fluff and nonsense you get on Facebook and the bile on Twitter. I'd love to see it back where it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,074 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Went to GUBU out of curiosity.

It's so fast! And empty. Not sure whether these are related, but it does put the performance of the new boards.ie site into sharp relief. I'd almost convinced myself the speed of this new site was tolerable.

I like boards but it's no use if people aren't posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Homelander

Yes, but far less. I've barely posted since the update. Some of the forums I used mostly are now tumbleweed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Yes

I'll continue to use it. So far I haven't really posted much, as I'm finding it very difficult to navigate, but I still click onto the main page every now and again for a mooch.

They need to revert the header bar and profile back to how they were before. The drop-down menus were fantastic and made it easier to navigate, and being able to find all my recent posts and threads made it a lot easier to continue a discussion or see updates to a topic.

I'm sure those in charge are aware of the problems, though and will hopefully get back on track.

I do use Reddit occasionally, but the quality of posting there is sh/te in comparison to boards. Too many idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,066 ✭✭✭CoBo55

No

Posts like this make me realise how much nicer my life is when I'm away from boards. Coming from one of the untouchables it doesn't surprise me. It's a goodbye from me...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

No

I voted No

I use mobile. Since the changeover i cant really use/navigate the site.

I cant find the Soccer Forum, i used to use the Fantasy Football forum but it seems that will be alot quieter.

I will be visiting and using Boards alot lot less

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

No

No. Only logged on to confirm so. Have tried to navigate this mess. Will look in occasionally as a lurker but no more. Progress, eh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭pawrick

Giving it a wide birth until everything settles down which it seems is still not the case. I usually access it on the tv which makes the white screen really annoying and so am less inclined to acess it now also! I dont use it on mobile other than on the old apps. but they were terrible at times. I have been using reddit on the mobile much more than boards since before the update but hope to be back on here browsing when things are right.

Advertisement