Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle infrastructure planned for south Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Good Evening,

I hope you are keeping well. Council Officials informed Councillors this evening that they intend to proceed with their plan to make Deansgrange Road one-way for traffic to create a two-way cycle track on the road.

Councillors were told that the proposed one-way system would run from the junction with Kill Lane on the southern end to Springhill Avenue / Brookville Park at the northern end of Deansgrange Road.

This would result in the rerouting of traffic (and the 84 and 84A bus services) to Baker's Corner and onto Abbey Road/Link Road, before rejoining Deansgrange Road. 

You will recall the Zoom meeting I held when the issue was first proposed and the Council's public engagement process last October. 

Over 6,430 submissions were made by members of the public on the wider project to improve safe cycling infrastructure in the County - of which 63% of respondents were in favour of improved facilities.

However, in relation to the proposal for Deansgrange Road only 13% of submissions were in favour of the proposed one-way system. The full report is available here (the Deansgrange section is covered from page 64). 

Given the lack of public support for the one-way system Council Officials undertook to examine two alternative options for the cycle route. Officials have now rejected these alternative options and they are proposing to proceed with the original plan. They propose to commence the works on or after Monday 27th September. 

I understand that Councillors will consider the matter at their meeting in early September. Councillors Michael Clark (Killiney-Shankill) and Justin Moylan (Dún Laoghaire) have expressed concern about the proposal and they will ask for alternatives to be considered.  

You can engage with Councillors by email at grpcouncillors@dlrcoco.ie or individually, details here

The change will obviously have significant implications for some businesses in the area. They should contact the Council at 01 205 4700 / info@dlrcoco.ie to get more information about what it will mean for access to their premises.

If you have any queries or feedback, please get in touch, 

Kind regards,

Cormac

Cormac Devlin TD

Fianna Fáil TD for Dún Laoghaire 

Dáil Éireann

Leinster House

Kildare Street

• Registered Users Posts: 23,969 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The 'Deansgrange Says No To One Way' Facebook group is now in existence and is sending out invites widely.

I expect nothing less than another active and well funded opposition campaign in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Just put cycle path on grass / flood defense wall and get on with it.

Absolute bullshit going on.

Worried about a tiny bit of grass and poxy seagulls.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,344 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

"a well funded opposition campaign"

shur that's what matters. financial might=right.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

So 2 alternatives were considered and rejected. FF now asking that "alternatives" be considered. What are the alternatives @Larbre34 ?

• Advertisement

Don't ask me, I've no skin in this one, I just noticed the Facebook activity on the subject.

Without having seen the alternatives and on the face of it, I would just say don't do anything, as there is a decent cycle corridor on the parallel N11 just a short distance away. I'm not sure what a section of segregated route in isolation, running from Stradbrook to Deansgrange will achieve.

I'd also question it being presented as a fait accompli to Councillors just as the Council goes into summer recess. It'd be sharp enough practice if they tried to install it between now and September, though that does appear to be what's intended.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

What does the "decent cycle corridor" on the N11 look like? I've never seen anything more than a bit of white paint.

There actually is a very decent motoring corridor on the N11, three lanes each way for most of it, so presumably that addresses the concerns of anyone worried about the switch to one-way.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

whether the N11 is decent or not, it's not much use to someone cycling to school or the shops in Deansgrange.

Just close the road entirely to cars - sure the M50 is only a few KM away, you can do your driving there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

But it is not in isolation. It forms a key section of the proposed Park to Park route linking Blackrock Dart Station to Killiney Beach. At present when you exit Clonkeen Park in Deansgrange village, you are dumped out on a busy road with no safe route to continue on to the next section of the route at Brookville.

The alternatives looked at I believe were to go up to Bakers corner, left down Abbey Road, left on the link road and rejoin the route. An uphill diversion of almost a kilometre

Also " a decent cycle corridor" on the N11 is far from accurate as anyone who uses it can testify..

Another proposal to compliment this is to open a through route through the cemetery from this cycle path up to Holly Park thereby making 2 or 3 large national schools accessible safely by bike from that end of the catchment.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Here's part of the 'decent cycle corridor', dumping cyclists into a narrow pinch point with pedestrians.

https://streamable.com/1l5ddh

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,304 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Not to mention where if you have the temerity to use the bus lane, drivers using it illegally feel they have a right to lecture you ln the correct use of cycle lanes , all without any irony.

I like that cycle,Ballsbridge is a lovely area and so is Merrion Square.

Its certainly a lot nicer than cycling into Ringsend and onto Pearse Street via Strand Road( with or without a cycle lane)

And I wouldn’t turn right onto Strand Road in moving traffic unless I was on a suicide mission.

Making Strand Road one way will make the Merrion Road even busier and it will ruin Sandymount village

Or, less people will drive as there is a viable and safe cycling route into the city

Financial, or otherwise. The opposition Facebook group had 65 members yesterday, it has just shy of 400 today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,908 ✭✭✭trellheim

the new cycle track on Victoria quay is horrendous and actually increases the danger to cyclists as you now have to cross into the lane occupied by high speed buses in order to cross the bridge outside Heuston to go towards the Phoenix park. Previously you could occupy the middle of the old bus lane and make them overtake properly

And before anyone tells me they can wait at the top , just watched for 45 minutes and 10/10 cyclists crossed left to right outside the Guinness factory exits

• Registered Users Posts: 7,956 ✭✭✭cletus

I've no skin in this game at all, I've just been following the thread. Your comment interested me. What sort of funding, other than financial, would you envision?

In fact, what other sort of funding is there, apart from financial?

Support. Huge numbers. Electoral pressure on sitting Councillors. It's all good collateral.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,956 ✭✭✭cletus

But none of that falls under funding. You very specifically used that word, which, to my knowledge, has no other meaning, or ambiguity in understanding.

Funding refers to money. Did you mean to say something else?

And the councillors that are supporting this side are the most under threat for their seats in all of the most recent elections looking at their fairly crap numbers that scraped them in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Yes, a ridiculous design but there is something here that cyclists.........myself included, need to be aware of. It's the sign just as the cycle path goes left to go behind the bus stop. It says "Pedestrian Priority". I live in the area an have regularly seen cyclists approach this point at ridiculous speed, yes I know its downhill but a little bit of sense is needed to avoid a collision with pedestrians, dog walkers etc. I doubt that many have ever seen the sign or pay any heed to it.

• Advertisement

The residents of Blackrock managed to prevent Avoca Avenue being turned into a cul de sac.

This idea was originally proposed in 1998 and seen off by residents then too. This move would have directed traffic down narrow residential roads that local children cycle to school and to the local tennis club on.

Its as if these zealots dont even understand local traffic movement, its bewildering.

We seem to live in a world where people think that it's impossible that routine things can't be done without a car (they can be) and it's become the norm for households to have up to 4 cars for every 5-10 min errand that needs to be done.

The problem with traffic is not the roads available, it's the sheer volume of single occupancy vehicles. It's staggering the amount of sub 5km journeys being made by car that are wholly unnecessary.

You make driving more cumbersome and other modes easier and it shifts mindsets. That's we what need to be doing, but nope, let's dig in the heels and resist any change and imagine reasons while ignoring the many benefits beyond the few metres we see eceryday

• Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

There's a cycle light at the end for crossing but it's a joke. Waited for 5 minutes at it the last time before giving up and taking my chances with a gap in the traffic.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Local residents do not own the roads in their vicinity. The alternative plan pushed by the local Sandymount group that was given preferential treatment far over and above what resident's suggestion are normally given, was utterly appalling planning. Ultimately, however, as the residents are so keen to point out - we are talking about a regional route so the views of residents from all over South Dublin should be just as relevant.

It wasn't given preferential treatment for planning reasons, the red carpet was rolled out for their plan by the City Council, to try to avoid having the Council's plan taken to Court, because the Council knew the basis proposed for it, by them, was so flimsy.

Cards on the table now. S2S is the only acceptable plan. The only high quality cycleway that will be permitted locally, is one by the shore, on or beside the inevitable flood protection measures in the next few years. The locals don't own the roads, but they do have the ear of elected representatives and they do have the resources to keep the fight going indefinitely. That may frustrate some of you, but its just reality.

Also, a consortium including NAMA has just this week lodged its application for an SHD on the IGB site, 600 new homes. That plan factors in the R131 and R802 as two-way regional routes, for improved public transport provision as well as car traffic. If you think the high ups in the DoHP are going to permit that to be jeopardised by Owen Keegan's 'Moby Dick' on Strand Road, you'd be mistaken.

We'll probably get the High Court decision soon, itself a very interesting development for all local authorities who have provided measures under the COVID banner. Irrespective though, I don't see Strand Road ever happening, it's been overtaken by too many events. And really, that's what the residents were relying on all along.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭markpb

You might end up being right, who knows. However your continuous stream of reasons why official Ireland won’t let this happen is getting tiresome. You’ve suggested that TII won’t let it happen because something, something, Dublin Port. Then there was the daft notion that building a new school would require a two way road so that would block it. Then Brexit came into play, I can’t even remember what that was about. And now you’ve somehow linked IGB planning with Strand road. None of these things even came close to happening. You’ve summed it up nicely, the residents have the money to waste court time and DCC money until they get what they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭buffalo

I'm still waiting for the Green Party and/or the Government to fall!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,344 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

there's a certain irony that the IGB site, which will be one of the first places in ireland to suffer from rising sea levels, might need better motorised access.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

The Luas Red Line is to be extended to the IGB site, and it will be served with busses, cycle lanes, and pedestrian network...also easy access to the Dart. Why does it need a lot of vehicular access? It is close to the city centre, and will have a substantial transport network. Is it to appease the minority that demand the right to drive in the city? Another red herring!

To be honest, it makes town/urban planners look like prostitutes who will design and write whatever the highest bidder is willing to pay for rather than follow best practice.

• Advertisement

Not prostitutes, professionals.

If you hire a lawyer, engineer, tax advisor etc, you're not hiring them to go against your interests. You want them to represent your position to the fullest extent of the law and for maximum gain. Why would anyone be naive enough to expect it to be otherwise?

Advertisement